All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 18-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by netborn View Post
Ewan,

I really think that android mail is way better than Nokia´s (stock or Nokia Messaging), BUT the problem with android is if you need Exchange support.

re.
Android Mail is very buggy. I've had to change over to using the Google Mail app because the email one frequently became broken and unusable.

I wish I had profimail on Android.

Old 18-08-2010, 07:53 PM

netborn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Android Mail is very buggy. I've had to change over to using the Google Mail app because the email one frequently became broken and unusable.

I wish I had profimail on Android.
You are right, using anything different from GMail is not very good, for instance if you need Hotmail NM wins.

Old 18-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by netborn View Post
You are right, using anything different from GMail is not very good, for instance if you need Hotmail NM wins.
LOL, yeah, but if you're using Hotmail, you kind of already lost, so to speak.
Ads

Old 18-08-2010, 08:40 PM

fakefur is on a distinguished road
@ewan - wow i stand corrected (and gobsmacked) as it appears they have indeed taken stuff out of standard android in the network settings screens

what a completely crap phone that is then and the nokia should be considered better

of course i would also say that this is absolutely not representative of android phones and would even go so far as to say that this phone should be taken out back and shot without hesitation

but the comparison rules you made cannot be argues with so there it is

i stand corrected

Old 18-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Just to add a comment about why we're doing a review like this - well the answer is basically that while it may not be as cool as the high end devices they're just as important. Yes high end phones get more exposure and are important for brand etc. but the cheaper the phone is the more it sells (well in theory...).

As mentioned in the podcast I've been using the Vodafone 845 - I think its probably a bit better than the ZTE Racer (e.g. it does have the turn off 3G stuff)... however it shares many of the problems Ewan has talked about in the review. It also not available on PAYG (yet) and looks to be heading to a price of around £130 when it does.

Pricing is an interesting area because even small differences can be a significant portion of the cost. On a £100 device £20 is 20% of the cost, whereas on a £500 its only 4%... that proportion difference will obviously have an impact on retail decisions. The fact that the 5230 is widely available for £80 and has been for a while gives it another edge I guess.

In general would agree with sentiment over Android email - fine if you're on GMail otherwise can be problematic. A lot of people don't seem to think this is a problem, but GMail although popular among geeks isn't even the biggest webmail service. I think both Hotmail and Yahoo Mail are still ahead. I'm fairly sure that the cross over between Gmail and the target audience for the ZTE Racer (and any other low cost Android device) is much less than for the higher end devices.

Nokia Messaging seems to be a lot more battery friendly too - I guess because they can more closely control the phone - server relationship but putting a middle man in. Though its probably a combination of this and the network / cellular stack.

Maybe we could do a repeat of this series, but with a mid tier device?

Old 19-08-2010, 07:09 AM

gadget freak is on a distinguished road
I take the point about not mentioning the Desire or anything else, and to not be able to disable 3g easily is a pain, but the fact is why have a smartphone if you don't want to be connected? isn't the whole purpose of an android phone to be constantly in sync with google apps etc. exchange, location services.

Old 19-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget freak View Post
I take the point about not mentioning the Desire or anything else, and to not be able to disable 3g easily is a pain, but the fact is why have a smartphone if you don't want to be connected? isn't the whole purpose of an android phone to be constantly in sync with google apps etc. exchange, location services.
Of course it is to most people. But if I am in WiFi range, with marginal 3G, I know which way I want to connect, and having the 3G step in is a pain.

Old 19-08-2010, 08:07 AM

ving is on a distinguished road
Interesting article but I agree that top end phones get more exposure and rightly so as it's usually the manufacturers flag-ship models so to speak.

Old 19-08-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Of course it is to most people. But if I am in WiFi range, with marginal 3G, I know which way I want to connect, and having the 3G step in is a pain.
Ok your right but i have 2 android devices( not the racer) and when in wifi coverage it uses wi-fi, move out of wifi coverage use 3g, it would seem this racer is a badly implemented form of android

Old 19-08-2010, 08:50 AM

Gabeuk is on a distinguished road
@Ewan -- yes sounds like the ZTE kills battery. Not good at all.

@Rafe -- agree on the importance of the budget category. Would like to see low-to-mid-range comparisons as as well.

Old 19-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
OK I'll schedule, or at least make a note, to do a mid-range comparison. Maybe the £200-£250 area. Be interesting to do this with a Symbian^3 device and Android 2.2 if possible too. Might mean later in the year.

Old 19-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget freak View Post
I think that's a 'high end' aspiration that's not always attainable on a low-end PAYG budget.

At the sub-£100 mark I'd guess the people using these phones also want really cheap data services too so having to be connected all the time is going to eat into that budget.

Some carriers like Three solve that by giving you free Facebook/Twitter/MSN and even free email and Skype but in this comparison you've also got Ovi Maps v Google Maps. Ovi Maps allows completely offline navigation with no data connection. If that's important then it costs you much less for Ovi Maps than Google.

Old 19-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think that's a 'high end' aspiration that's not always attainable on a low-end PAYG budget.

At the sub-£100 mark I'd guess the people using these phones also want really cheap data services too so having to be connected all the time is going to eat into that budget.

Some carriers like Three solve that by giving you free Facebook/Twitter/MSN and even free email and Skype but in this comparison you've also got Ovi Maps v Google Maps. Ovi Maps allows completely offline navigation with no data connection. If that's important then it costs you much less for Ovi Maps than Google.
That would be a very low end PAYG budget, as a £10 topup gives data for one month, or in the case of Three you get 3 months.

Old 19-08-2010, 11:14 AM

how many people that buy a low end device are going to bother syncing up with a computer? how many will pre load the maps? truth is the type that does that kind of thing will be buying at the higher end of the market

Old 19-08-2010, 11:49 AM

user47alpha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
how many people that buy a low end device are going to bother syncing up with a computer?
Not many, because besides contacts, many people have absolutely no need for syncing there phones with a pc.

Quote:
how many will pre load the maps? truth is the type that does that kind of thing will be buying at the higher end of the market
Lucky for them, the needed maps are already preloaded (at least in germany), so even if they don't know it, Ovi Maps is a big advantage for them. If you assume that the targeted audience is completely clueless then Ovi Maps with already preloaded maps is an even bigger advantage because they will not tab in the "Oh look, I have nice google maps, lets use it without a dataplan and pay per MB without knowing how much this will cost me!"-trap.

Quote:
That would be a very low end PAYG budget, as a £10 topup gives data for one month, or in the case of Three you get 3 months.
You do realise that if you invest £80 in the phone, a £10/month topup is a very big cost factor? I use my 5800 without a dataplan (most of the time) and am quite happy that it only connects to the internet when I want it to do so.