All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 17-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia C6 Review: Applications and user experience

In the third part of his review of Nokia's new C6, David Gilson considers the user experiences and examines the remaining applications. David concludes that, with a hybrid form factor and an increasingly attractive price point, the C6 has offers a compelling entry into the mid tier market. Part 2 of the C6 review covered the camera and multimedia software bundle. Part 1 covered first impressions and hardware.

Read on in the full article.

Old 17-08-2010, 11:17 AM
indi.go

Lightbulb C6 extra features

Whenever we'll see another update for the N97 classic, I will be disappointed if we wont see smart dialing and the new unlock screen. The N97 really needs a firmware push .. what I'd like to see aswell is the new email client, the one used in the current N97s firmware is useless and I am forced to use the sometimes "betaish" nokia messaging service..

Old 17-08-2010, 11:20 AM

delanz is on a distinguished road
The new unlock method (pressing the menu button and swipe to unlock element appears) is one of the features I would love to see on the next N97 update. I really need it if I were using the generic in-car phone holder where the holder will block the unlock slider.

This function is introduced with the N8 (saw it in some of the hands-on videos) and would love Nokia to back ported this function to Symbian^1 devices.

Another thing David if I may ask, is the Quick Office and Adobe Viewer is the full version of the viewer or some 15 day trial viewer like what installed in the premium and expensive N97?

Last edited by delanz; 17-08-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Old 17-08-2010, 11:37 AM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by delanz View Post
Another thing David if I may ask, is the Quick Office and Adobe Viewer is the full version of the viewer or some 15 day trial viewer like what installed in the premium and expensive N97?
Hi there,
I didn't notice a trial notification when I began using either of them.

Old 17-08-2010, 12:05 PM

jb8967 is on a distinguished road
Nice homescreen & optimized FW

I've been a very satisfied owner of the Nokia 5800XM, for about a year and a half. The recent FW update polished off the performance, though the phone has been quite stable for a long time. The 5800XM has had at least 12 FW updates to my knowledge, which really demonstrates Nokia's commitment to the consumer. I only wish Nokia would open the device up to homescreen widgets. Yes, a bit greedy considering the device really offers a lot of bang for the buck...but it could easily handle this functionality given the similarity in specs to the C6 (except QWERTY, 5MP...though it does have great stereo speakers, dual LED flash, and Carl Zeiss optics over its newer sibling). I am not faulting Nokia...it's the right move considering the age of the 5800XM, desire to drive new sales, and need to protect price/position of the C6. However, if Nokia doesn't do this...well...I will finally hack my phone and go for PNHT's ported C6 FW on the 5800XM. Nokia should recognize this pent up demand within its customer base and provide this to 5800 owners. After all, the early and loyal adopters of Symbian^1 should be rewarded with another nugget, IMHO.

Old 17-08-2010, 02:43 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Oh snap! I want smart dialing and new, default email client for N97. Please Nokia!

Old 17-08-2010, 06:04 PM

talhamid is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a good phone. In any case it is not prudent to pay more for a nokia since thanks to the ingenious Symbian you can get the same pathetic experience on a 500 usd device are you would on a 100 dollar one. This price range sadly represents the maximum one should pay for the Symbian experience.

That said : smart dialing is missing. A single screen with six static widgets is a 'system'. The phone still slows down. No text reflow. Come on its 2010. You get many of these features in fake Chinese phones for heavens sake. In presence of a vibrant second hand phone market this phone is missing way too much not to irritate anyone who has used a half decent non nokia set in the past six months.

So begins another cycle of adding missing features via slow and buggy firmware updates, changes other platforms provide through small apps available for free.

Last edited by talhamid; 17-08-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Old 17-08-2010, 06:18 PM

marxian is on a distinguished road
I was wondering how long it would take for an an-droid to jump in.

AAS seems an odd destination for those that don't like Symbian.
Ads

Old 17-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I was wondering how long it would take for an an-droid to jump in.

AAS seems an odd destination for those that don't like Symbian.
The continual need to justify their own decision to adopt Android by knocking Symbian betrays a considerable insecurity.

A satisfied individual would just go off and get on with their life.

Anyway, to topic. Although it's not fashionable to say so, Nokia are making some fine value for money handsets like the C6, which I see as a continued development of the successful 5800.

Well done Nokia! You are getting there.

Old 17-08-2010, 07:28 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't worry about it, they're just trolling, but it's light hearted IMO. It's like bickering sports team fans.

If Symbian works for you, great; if Android and iPhone fills your needs, awesome. Go with what's in your budget and what works for you. At the end of the day, you'll be the one using it.

(Myself, though I'm a current Symbian user on an i8910, I need internet radio for my daily commutes. Besides Tunewiki, which didn't do it for me---its very limited in selection---Symbian 3 doesn't have that ability/feature, so I'm forced to look elsewhere and putting the Samsung on ebay. I know there's a handful of streaming internet radio apps each on android/iphone, so I'm forced to look there.)

Old 17-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Unregistered

Looks decent!

It actually looks like a pretty decent device, esspecially considering the price!

However, I am going for the N8.

Old 18-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Low RAM

For Maximum Multitasking experience (What I want from symbians Dev. ??????????)
Sorry I mean for Maximum Phone experience Symbians need fix Low RAM Problem by Fixing Max Application RAM using limit OR like this.

Any way I switching to android OS.
Mybe they have sam RAM problem but They give what minimum people want like All video format support, OS update, Best UI,etc

wait for long time???
So
Bye Bye Symbian !!!!!!

Old 18-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For Maximum Multitasking experience (What I want from symbians Dev. ??????????)
Sorry I mean for Maximum Phone experience Symbians need fix Low RAM Problem by Fixing Max Application RAM using limit OR like this.

Any way I switching to android OS.
Mybe they have sam RAM problem but They give what minimum people want like All video format support, OS update, Best UI,etc

wait for long time???
So
Bye Bye Symbian !!!!!!
Well good luck with that. Android isn't the land of milk and honey you might think it is. My Android experience has been plagued with problems and bugs. My latest is emails getting stuck in the email outbox, hung with a permanent sending status. Grrrr! Checked the web and the problem is very common and present from 1.5 right up to 2.2, turns out the solution is to clear all application data on the email app. This clears all the email settings and you need to set it all up again. Complete crap.

Anyway, close the door on your way out.

Old 18-08-2010, 10:20 AM

comnut is on a distinguished road
yes, the mental age of most an-droids is less than 10.... they only do it 'cos there is no danger...
if they went to a large footballers club, and started saying that the 'other team' is much better, and the club team was awful, I think you know an ambulance would soon be called...

again, I say I want to *use* it, not turn it into a mini pc... and nokia has proven its still supports 2 year old mobiles, with the latest FW.. if you look around, there is someone who has got the C6 FW working on the 5800!!

Old 19-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Unregistered

Its because the hardware C6 was developed long ago and have on hand and wait for a while also a good time to put on the market that the supply, logistics, component costs and market position relative to other products from Nokia.