All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 01-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Lessons to learn as the BBC closes down the popular 'low graphics' news pages

In a move to placate a lot of very unhappy mobile web users (including myself), the BBC’s Anthony Sullivan hopes that the upcoming BBC Accessibility Tools will allow people to replicate the “low graphics” version of the BBC News website. Unfortunately, for people who’ve been using that version of the site for over ten years, it feels like they’ve lost a close friend. There’s a lesson in here for web developers around the world, read on.

Read on in the full article.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:00 PM

gadget freak is on a distinguished road
new site i presume uses more data, at a time when the networks are cutting data allowances, bad move at a bad time.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:34 PM

loopyludo is on a distinguished road
I guess its a personal preference as I prefer the new site, I wouldn't say that it is that much more graphics intensive either as you still had thumbnails on the old site.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Unregistered

The lack of a summary is the most annoying thing. So in order to find out what the story is about you now have to click again, and wait, and the go back. That's just rubbish design. I do use the BBC mobile site a bit, but the NY Times and FT mobile sites are far better if you want a quick overview of the news.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Unregistered

Keep it

The problem is that the user is no longer able to pick by preference, as the low graphics part isn't there anymore.

I agree that it's a personal preference, but I also think, that the choice should be there.

The new "mobile" sites began emerging after the release of the iPhone. I welcomed them, and still do, as they worked great on my Nokia N810 internet tablet and later other touchscreen devices.

By then, we had three sites: desktop, touch and mobile. This is great, and can be tried by going to m.facebook.com, touch.facebook.com and facebook.com for example.

I see no reason that the really mobile version with almost only text should discontinue though, there can hardly be much maintenance involved in maintaining it.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:31 PM
ifanboy

I honestly think people will moan about anything these days.

Really? A low bandwidth version of a website ceasing to exist is the top story on AAS?? There's so many things wrong with the world and people choose to devote their time and energy into writing drivel about low data usage sites ceasing to exist in a world of unlimited data and capable handsets.

I know MANY people will disagree with me here but my God man, there's A TON more important things in life to worry over, jeez.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
iFanboy (interesting name by the way), the spark of the idea is the BBC News website yes, but it's actually about design, capability, user expectation, and factors involved in information and websites on mobile devices. As to unlimited data, err not from most networks, that's all changing. And having sensible capability for ALL handsets (not just the object du jour) SHOULD be part of good design.
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 01-07-2010, 03:40 PM

gadget freak is on a distinguished road
Unlimited data in the uk is dead, many users like myself have to change their habits, do you really need to open that email with attchments? Things are changing and in that climate this is relevant.

Those who want more life and death topics i would suggest they log on to amnesty international.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:37 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Well said. Some people take themselves far too seriously.

This is a website about mobile phones and related matters; no, it's not life and death but it IS relevant to many people who come here. Apart from anything else, it is a good example of how the mobile web might evolve, which is not necessarily a good thing...

Old 01-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

i loved the low graphics version, visited it very frequently indeed. and like Ewan I've stopped using the BBC altogether with the new LESS INFORMATIVE site

Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 PM

oscillik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifanboy View Post

Really? A low bandwidth version of a website ceasing to exist is the top story on AAS?? There's so many things wrong with the world and people choose to devote their time and energy into writing drivel about low data usage sites ceasing to exist in a world of unlimited data and capable handsets.

I know MANY people will disagree with me here but my God man, there's A TON more important things in life to worry over, jeez.
this is a website that covers things pertinent to mobile phone users. you're admonishing an article that is completely within the editorial remit of it's original agenda.

shut up and go away.
Ads

Old 01-07-2010, 06:04 PM

Hurlley is on a distinguished road
Quote:

the stupidity of your post is outstanding

Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Unregistered

petty

"Theres a bookmark for that" simply hit the headlines page and bookmark it, i don't really see any problems though using opera mini because its fast lol, Paul

Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Actually there is (now) a problem with Opera mini. Given the Norwegian proxy server, the BBC Mobile website serves up the International version, not the UK version - and there isn't an option to force it back to the UK.
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Your post being the case in point.

How ironic that you moan about people moaning!