All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-06-2010, 10:30 AM

Pawlee is on a distinguished road
wow... i really really really want one now... this is not fair... i used my contract upgrade up recently (whenever the n86 hit networks)...

do i buy this outside my contract or wait for the 9 months or so i have left of my contract?!

the 450 quid it looks to be retailin it is ridiculous :/

Old 23-06-2010, 11:54 AM

gadget freak is on a distinguished road
it looks good nobody not even the apple groupies can deny that, i just wish it had a slide out keyboard, i just make too many emails and texts in a day to not have a keyboard. please nokia don't sell your whole soul to the touch screen devil.

Old 23-06-2010, 12:00 PM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
You know what would make this phone instantly a bit more appealing?

Simple: update the icons and the font.

Seriously, most of the criticism is about the appearance being outdated. Hire a competent graphic artisit and replace them with something a bit more 2010 and a lot of pain is going to go away. Give it a nice default wallpaper too whilst you're at it.

And, yes, I know that you can upload your own themes but first impressions count. Drop the outdated visuals Nokia - you can always have a 'classic' them that people can switch to if they want to.

Old 23-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Symbian3Qs

Symbian 3 Questions

Does the contacts app now support categories?
Does the calendar now support categories (different from multiple calendars)?
Has Text-to-speech found it's way back into Symbian^3?
Is there speech commanding in the n8 (eg. "open <app name here>")?
Is there a system-wide speech-to-text framework?
Is the dictionary / spellcheck system-wide?
Is Flash Lite 4 present?
Is there a usable PDF reader onboard?
Is there uPnP / bonjour / DLNA (both directions)?
Is multiple exchange support built-in?

I think that's enough to be going on with - covers the basics of what needs to be in the n8 to fix previous niggles...

Old 23-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Unregistered

And there goes the other shoe

I remember myself and certain other ppl predicted this a few months ago while the rabid fanboys were still shooting crap out of their mouths:
http://www.cnet.com.au/nokia-n8-in-depth-339304015.htm
via Engadget

First line in the article:
"According to the Nokia peeps we spoke to, the N8 will be the last N-series to run on Nokia's Symbian platform; all N-Series from here on will run MeeGo."

Symbian is NOT considered the multimedia feature-rich smartphone platform by Nokia anymore :P
I guess from now on we'll compare Meego vs Android vs. iPhone OS instead.

-Gene

Old 23-06-2010, 02:03 PM

p51 is on a distinguished road
here also.....

My Cousin just sent me this link:

http://i.engadget.com/2010/06/23/nok...ll-meego-from/

Old 23-06-2010, 02:36 PM

Well, Gene, since they appear to be continuing to use Symbian for the E and X series you appear to be wrong.

Again.

Old 23-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Unregistered

And the idiocy continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
Well, Gene, since they appear to be continuing to use Symbian for the E and X series you appear to be wrong.

Again.
Just like you were wrong about Nokia's stock direction? Just face it, Symbian is being shoved downward. You still look like a rabid fanboy, btw :P

Old 23-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just like you were wrong about Nokia's stock direction? Just face it, Symbian is being shoved downward. You still look like a rabid fanboy, btw :P
I don't think anyone can be wrong (except Gene) as the stock question isn't answered yet (except for the short term simplistic thinkers), and Nokia have a nice line up with two OS options. They look OK to me, with a bright future.

However, I personally am going to get me an X10 mini pro as advertised on this site!

Old 23-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Unregistered

n8

The N8 looks a very good looking mobiles,an the camera looks spot on,as Daily mobile is showing some Night photos taken by the N8,just hope the Software is fully correctly before the phones released,an one main news i have seen on Endaget that the Nokia N8 will be the last "N"series mobile with Symbian ,an Future "N" series mobiles Nokia will be the Meego software instead,so Nokia really want to Compete more in the Top Smartphones Market an dint Apples Success,dying to see an use the N8 myself,but still 2 months to go yet till its released

Old 23-06-2010, 05:33 PM

Well, Gene, I guess it's better to come across as a rabid fanboy than utterly clueless. The fact remains that Symbian will be on Nokia's mid range X series, a class of phones dedicated to... err... media consumption.

Also can you point out where I was wrong about stocks by the way? Because I don't think I am.

Old 23-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Unregistered

dying phone

cool, nokia's n8 is the last n-series symbian phone. it's almost at the end of its life cycle and it wasn't launched. cool. hoooray nokia
Ads

Old 23-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Unregistered

people have been saying the new high end phones running on meego signal the death nell for the n series. really? i think it marks a new start.

i'm looking forward to replacing my n82 with an n8. when i replace the n8 in 18 months to 2 years there will be a rich choice of high end meego devices or mid range symbian^4 to choose from, depending on budget, etc. if money is really tight, why a feature rich series 40 will have caught up by then because nokia is pushing down the technology. does that sound like a bad situation to be in? i don't think so.

as for saying symbian^3/4 is an old os, why don't they say that about apple's? it's been around for 4 years now, just with some tweaks along the way. bit of objectivity please.

aidan

Old 24-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Unregistered

You're all misunderstanding this news of NSeries going Meego. They're merely using the NSeries label as the continuing label for their top of the line range. The alternative would be to introduce another new series label and stick MeeGo devices in that, but that wouldn't have the brand strength. Hence a slight reshuffling of what devices are released under what label.

You're completely misunderstanding the situation if you see Symbian as somehow on the wane with this announcement, and that they will be phased out in due course. Indeed, the exact opposite is true. The ENTIRE FIELD of mobile phones is undergoing an upgrade, and Nokia (given their market share) is leading the charge (ha ha to anyone that thought Nokia were dying in any way). Symbian devices will not only continue to grow in power and features, they will similarly continue to invade the featurephone market from the top down. We're talking many hundreds of millions of devices over a fairly short period of time. And to think Apple are crowing about iOS reaching 100 million!

Symbian is on 300 million+ and that's over years of smartphones being niche. NO ONE is as well positioned to be crowned king of smartphone futures as Symbian and Nokia.

Watch and learn folks, watch and learn.

Old 24-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
I'm looking forward to the day when you can choose which OS to have on your phone.
Pick the hardware that best meets your requirements then install the OS of your choice.
Hardware compatability is of course the issue but I'm sure there will be some devices that are generic enough to support Symbian or Meego or Android etc.