All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia N8 Preview Gallery

Rafe (and Ben Smith) were extremely busy at last week's Nokia N8 hands-on, taking dozens of top quality photos of the first Symbian^3 smartphone in all its OLED aluminium Xenon-equipped glory. In this interactive Nokia N8 gallery, Rafe takes the time to comment on each photo and what it shows. Grab a coffee and settle down to some serious N8 virtual hands-on time.

Read on in the full article.

Old 22-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Now open for comments! Sorry about the delay.

Old 22-06-2010, 06:20 PM
cantremember

I know its only a small thing but I'm really glad to see the clock screensaver back - screensaver support was removed for the N97 which really irritated me for many weeks as I used to use cClock on my previous device (N95). Good to see it big as well (one of the nice features of cClock was its customisable font size)- hopefully it will show all missed events as well?
Ads

Old 22-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Unregistered

Pinch-to-zoom

Does pinch-to-zoom work in Ovi maps? I haven't seen that in any demo videos.

Old 22-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Unregistered

hi rafe,

two things.....

1. how do you activate the camera? and is it quick to do?
2. you showed the two options for unlocking the phone - using the slider and the home key/touch screen combo. how do you lock it?

thanks,

aidan

btw - do you think by the time the n8 comes out in september people will have got bored and moved onto the symbian^4 N device that will have been leaked/ hinted at by then ;-)

Old 22-06-2010, 09:22 PM

Hassan is on a distinguished road
Hi Steve or maybe Rafe could you please find out if N8 has support for smart dialling as WM and Android. Nice pics though.

Cheers

Old 22-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
There is a slider lock key like on the n86. It probably locks the device. And you can in all likelihood activate the camera with the camera shutter button. Like on he n95.

I'd like to know if the phone automatically switches from alphanumeric keypad to landscape qwerty when you flip the device or do you still have to select it every time like on the i8910? Looks like text entry is still a major weak point of symbian. At least on phones with no hardware keyboard.

How is scrolling in the browser? Still jerky or have they finally nailed "iphone smooth"?

Old 22-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does pinch-to-zoom work in Ovi maps? I haven't seen that in any demo videos.
Quote:
hi rafe,

two things.....

1. how do you activate the camera? and is it quick to do?
2. you showed the two options for unlocking the phone - using the slider and the home key/touch screen combo. how do you lock it?

thanks,

aidan

btw - do you think by the time the n8 comes out in september people will have got bored and moved onto the symbian^4 N device that will have been leaked/ hinted at by then ;-)
1. start the application OR press on the camera capture key - and yes its fast

2. lock it using the slider, or (I think) via menu option or form profiles menu.

and no I don't think people will be bored. It easy to fall into shiny new toy syndrome, but most people buying phones really don't follow things that closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkom View Post
There is a slider lock key like on the n86. It probably locks the device. And you can in all likelihood activate the camera with the camera shutter button. Like on he n95.

I'd like to know if the phone automatically switches from alphanumeric keypad to landscape qwerty when you flip the device or do you still have to select it every time like on the i8910? Looks like text entry is still a major weak point of symbian. At least on phones with no hardware keyboard.

How is scrolling in the browser? Still jerky or have they finally nailed "iphone smooth"?
Yes it does switch between the two keyboards (from what I remember).

Browser scrolling - felt better but would need to test more.

Old 22-06-2010, 10:00 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer

Rafe did anyone mention future Full HD video capture (1080p) as a possibility?

Having 12Mp makes it possible (as we've seen with recent Japanese handsets).

TIA

Old 23-06-2010, 04:42 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Rafe, a question for you. I remember reading somewhere that the N8 has only 135 MB space on C: Drive. Many people (including me) were disappointed by that. However, your snapshot demoing USB On The Go shows 175 MB free space, suggesting that the C: drive could be much larger (maybe 256 MB like the n97 mini). So has the C:drive been upgraded or the earlier specs were wrong?

Old 23-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkom View Post

LOL! I have an iPhone and this made me laugh. Hopefully it will be much better than the iPhone irritating browser. It still amazes me to see the false impression people have.

What I would like to know about it the OS upgrade possibilities. Will the N8 be able to take later OS versions such as Symbian ^4 in the future by OTA updating.

And if it can, hopefully it won't need 2 hours tethered to a Mac to perform the upgrade, like I wasted yesterday upgrading my iPhone to 4.

Old 23-06-2010, 08:25 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What I would like to know about it the OS upgrade possibilities. Will the N8 be able to take later OS versions such as Symbian ^4 in the future by OTA updating.
Even if the N8 allows OS upgrades in the future, I doubt they will be over the air. I assume OS upgrades will involve download of large files and not just the ones that have been modified like in the case of firmware updates.

Old 23-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Unregistered

Great preview and pictures, do you know whether the N8 will 'come with music' in the UK? Getting a little fed up of Spotify deleting tracks! Or failing that, will spotify and older symbian applications be compatible with the new OS?

Old 23-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Rushi

Question Call answering

Rafe,

Just tried a friend's iphone, to reject a incoming call you have to press a top key twice and most ppl didn't know that even we had to do a bit of googling.

I hope N8 has a hardware way to reject and accept a call, not just the touchscreen soft key.
Coz now N8 also just has one menu key
no more accept and reject keys, as I'm sure most symbian user are used to that.

Cheers

Old 23-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Rushi

On the above comment I meant reject the call When the **phone is locked**

;-o