All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 13-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia's N8 overview video (part 3) examined in detail

As part of its promotional activities for the N8, Nokia is releasing a series of overview videos presented by Chris Bennetts, a Senior Product Manager at the company. The third video covers the Music application and the N8's HDMI out functionality; rather than just linking to it or embedding it, we've broken this video down in detail to offer you some insight into the N8's music software and HDMI-out feature. Read on for further details.

Read on in the full article.

Old 13-06-2010, 08:36 PM

adi_pie is on a distinguished road
Good breakdown, guys.
I have a question though, in the second-to-last screenshot towards the left side on the first album art is that a mouse pointer or am I imagining it?

Old 13-06-2010, 08:53 PM

mCrem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Good breakdown, guys.
I have a question though, in the second-to-last screenshot towards the left side on the first album art is that a mouse pointer or am I imagining it?
you are not imagining it, You can also see it moving (albeit laggy) in the video.

does the music player finally support gapless playback?

Old 13-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Unregistered

Much better than the ealier Gear 50 levels review :-)

"including some first hands-on impressions of near-production hardware, later this week." - very interesting but only hardware? I mean .. what more is to be said about the hardware? Talking benchmarks? You guys have been talking up Nokia through the whole of s60.5, push them for doing the software review!

On a sidenote, the depth have been stated by nokia to be 12.9mm - is this including the camera bulge or .. ?

Old 13-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
No gapless playback as far as I am aware.

And yes there does seem to be something there. Wonder if there's Bluetooth mouse support, or if this is a result on the demo set up being used.

Old 13-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The hardware will be pre-production - as will the software, but we should have a brief chance to look at both - sorry for the confusion there. Keep an eye on @aas (Twitter) tomorrow for possible previews

I'm not sure how much extra this is going to tell us / you... but at least we should get an idea on how things are progressing.

Old 14-06-2010, 02:41 AM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Nowhere near enough attention is being given to the software and the GUI, while all the videos make a point to list the hardware specs.

Haven't we all learned that Nokia makes good hardware, but their software implementation leaves much to be desired?

I'd prefer a video giving only a tour of Symbian 3 on the N8. Show me the money shots, Nokia.

Old 14-06-2010, 02:43 AM
Unregistered

I think nokia need to develop HDMI over the air. maybe a small box connected to TV HDMI to transfer the HDMI over the air.

Old 14-06-2010, 03:02 AM
Unregistered

Nice

Lots of teasers... too bad it's not going to be out for a while... I wish release times were considerably shorter at Nokia...

Old 14-06-2010, 03:47 AM
Unregistered

Shooting video

At the risk of asking a stupid question: what happens if somebody calls you while you're in the middle of shooting an amazing scene with the HD recording capabilities of your N8? Is the call sent to voicemail or is the video recording interrupted?
Ads

Old 14-06-2010, 05:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Much better than the ealier Gear 50 levels review :-)

"including some first hands-on impressions of near-production hardware, later this week." - very interesting but only hardware? I mean .. what more is to be said about the hardware? Talking benchmarks? You guys have been talking up Nokia through the whole of s60.5, push them for doing the software review!

On a sidenote, the depth have been stated by nokia to be 12.9mm - is this including the camera bulge or .. ?
Yes the 12.9mm includes the camera bulge.... The sensor was too large for them to fit it in a 10mm body

Old 14-06-2010, 06:27 AM

tawalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
... too bad it's not going to be out for a while... I wish release times were considerably shorter at Nokia...
I'm with you on that last comment - the more I see of the N8, the more I'm certain that I've finally found the replacement for my beloved N95

That said, if Nokia are using the intervening few months to iron out as many of the remaining bugs as possible, I can live with the delay...

Old 14-06-2010, 06:51 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_pie View Post
Good breakdown, guys.
Its not a pointer. Its a way to come out of the full screen mode (similar to what we have currently in the web browser when surfing in full screen)

Old 14-06-2010, 06:53 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
At the risk of asking a stupid question: what happens if somebody calls you while you're in the middle of shooting an amazing scene with the HD recording capabilities of your N8? Is the call sent to voicemail or is the video recording interrupted?
The way it has worked on all the previous models is that the shooting is put on hold and the call takes precedence. After the call is over, you have to resume recording manually. Not sure though if it is the same with the N8.

And no, it is not a stupid question

Old 14-06-2010, 07:37 AM

Nörde is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
Its not a pointer. Its a way to come out of the full screen mode (similar to what we have currently in the web browser when surfing in full screen)
I think he meant the much smaller moving cursor. Based on how it moved, I think it was moved with cursor keys on a keyboard.