All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Long term review: Nokia E55 - part 2 (Software)

In this first part of his definitive, two part, long term review, David Gilson looked at the hardware on his trusty Nokia E55, at his side now for eight months. In this second part, he looks at the E55's software in detail and also draws a number of long term conclusions for this diminutive qwerty smartphone, with comments aimed at both end users and Nokia's product managers.

Read on in the full article.

Old 27-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Sockatume

FP2 features

Nice overview, but I should point out that a lot of the features you list as coming with FP2 (the homescreen switcher, the new calendar) aren't actually FP2-specific features. The homescreen switching thing appeared in FP1 devices like the E71, while the calendar's a newcomer for particular recent Eseries FP2 devices. Plenty of FP2 devices in the other product ranges don't have it. Same with the browser, too. It's a mess, but that's S60 for you.

Old 27-05-2010, 10:10 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockatume View Post
Nice overview, but I should point out that a lot of the features you list as coming with FP2 (the homescreen switcher, the new calendar) aren't actually FP2-specific features. The homescreen switching thing appeared in FP1 devices like the E71, while the calendar's a newcomer for particular recent Eseries FP2 devices. Plenty of FP2 devices in the other product ranges don't have it. Same with the browser, too. It's a mess, but that's S60 for you.
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback.

On the application switcher, I didn't mean to imply that was specific to FP2. That part was more trying to explain as clearly as possible how the see-saw/rocker buttons found on the E52/55/72 function.

When I wrote this one, I decided to go with assuming no previous knowledge of S60, so I went through a lot of things many readers will find old-news. With it being a long term review, I saw it as an opportunity to introduce people who were considering an S60 phone for the first time, and present give a blow-by-blow account of a solid smart phone.

So, I realise I might have told many readers things they already know.

Old 29-05-2010, 01:58 AM

sicofante is on a distinguished road
Can you please comment on the Advanced Communications Manager? What is it, what does it offer?
Ads

Old 29-05-2010, 04:28 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
I was going to buy the e55 because it is a light phone with the half qwerty keypad. I previously had the M600 and got on well with half qwerty rocker keys. ( I know the E55 is a double press but I'm sure it's just as good).

I waited months for the E55 to appear in the shops and when it didn't I went for the Nokia 5630. Although it does not have the half qwerty it does weigh a lot less.

The main feature of the E55 is it's weight. If weight is not an issue then a full qwerty key pad must be better.

To me weight is an issue and the 5630 has all the features of the E55, other than the half qwerty pad and a 2.2 rather than a 2.4 screen.

There may be one or two features the E55 has over the 5630, but then the 5630 has one or two over the E55.

If Nokia could give us a touch screen the size and weight of the e55 that would be ideal.