All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 31-03-2010, 01:44 PM

jamoiholland is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafiii View Post
Ok so for those who want the installer, I have kept the installer which will download the WRT application after being installed. I have not try it on other phones so it may not works but at least give it a try:

http://www.mediafire.com/?24myw4nzxoy

Good luck !
How did you get this? How does a .dcf file work? Is it similar to .sis?

Old 31-03-2010, 01:58 PM

tgdub is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdub View Post
If anyone could provide the .sis file that would be much appreciated. i had it installed previously on my E71, then my memory card crashed, now i can't re-download it via the ovi store, or find it anywhere in my phone (app manager, even y-browser). Any helps on how to relocate it or reinstall would be appreciated
Ok, so I managed a work around to the Ovi Store issue. I sent the link to my phone via the desktop client. The link opens using the s60 browser (which in turn opens up the Ovi Store client, but I closed this) and I was then able to download the files and re-install them over the original (but invisible) files on my phone.

It may be that others aren't experiencing quite the same issue and it wasn't a link to a .sis file but just to let you know that it worked for me via the s60 brower ovi store.

Old 31-03-2010, 02:15 PM

rafiii is on a distinguished road
I got this file by using the direct URL in the web browser of my N86.
THe URL is http://nds2.fds-download.nokia.com/f...A0D63WDTRFMRRC

You can easily find it by searching on google "facebook E72 forummobiles" on your phone (on your desktop it download a .dm which doesn't work)
First answer, it links to a french forum.

I don't know how .dcf works, but this is the facebook installer, then it will install the facebook application. If you download the client on the Ovi Store the installation process will be the same, with the same version of the application.

Old 31-03-2010, 02:58 PM

Thanks, that's great for Facebook.

So given "application x", which was downloaded and installed through Ovi Store, does anyone know where the .sis or .dcf or whatever it was that was downloaded is stored? So you can always back it up to memory card and re-install after a factory defaulting a phone, or install on another phone?

Old 31-03-2010, 05:26 PM

Bosambo is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
BTW I can't understand why all these folks who hate Symbian and Nokia spend so much time on a Symbian website - must have alot of time on their hands, more than I do anyway.
I'm not sure if that was aimed at me, but I'll bite.

I LOVED my Nokia phones. When I got my N95 it was the premier handset on the market. Then the iPhone came out and feature for feature my N95 still ruled. I have a distinct distaste for Apple products and their fanboys. Fanboys have a irrational streak in them that bothers me. If something isn't good, even if you own it, why pretend otherwise.

Now the main beef I ended up having with S60 wasn't with Nokia or any of the manufacturers that use it. It was developers of apps I would like to use who chose to actively ignore the platform. Look at you guys...scratching around like scavengers for a Facebook app. Facebook! You'd thing they'd want to be on the platform with the most active user base on the globe...but no. They have apps out for the iPhone, Android, Blackberry and even the fringe device Palm Pre. It seems it's some sort of sin to point out how badly serviced we are with our Nokia devices.

I remember being shouted down when I questioned the situation that Shazam mobile was free on Android and iPhone but cost a monthly fee on S60. I got the usual apologist saying "they have to make money somehow". Really? By ignoring the revenue on the most popular app store in the world while making Nokia users supplement free iPhone apps? You guys are cool with that? I'm not. It's not my job to put dev's kids thorough school. I have my own pockets to think of. If they want to ignore the gold mine that is the Apple app store to give their app away then that's their business.

I want the best I can get. At one point that was Symbian...now it's not even close. I've toiled with my N96 for over 18 months now...I could have had an upgrade but I chose to hold off, hoping Nokia would get it together, so please spare me the "why do you hate Symbian" rubbish.

Last edited by Bosambo; 31-03-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Ads

Old 31-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Unregistered

Official Nokia Facebook

Official Nokia Facebook v1.00(5725) S60v3 SymbianOS9.x Signed

http://www.ipmart-forum.com/showthre...light=facebook

Official Nokia Facebook v1.00(7100) S60v5 SymbianOS9.4 Signed

Old 31-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Unregistered

Don't blame AAS for Nokia's behaviour

@bosamba, and followers.
It's not Steve's fault that Nokia's bahaviour is strange. After all, Nokia's business (and Apple's, etc.) is ultimately about making money. The boys at AAS do the best they can to make Symbian the best possible experience with what they can. And recently, it hasn't been much indeed. But Steve's enthusiasm means a lot to me as a Nokia phone user and sometimes it does help to get most of the device I have (E71). Thanks Steve!

Old 31-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up direct link

just open this link on your browser and it will begin to install, bliss!

http://nds2.fds-download.nokia.com/f...A0D63WDTRFMRRC

Old 01-04-2010, 12:41 PM

theonlyrick is on a distinguished road
Question Experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Official Nokia Facebook v1.00(5725) S60v3 SymbianOS9.x Signed

Official Nokia Facebook v1.00(7100) S60v5 SymbianOS9.4 Signed

Has anyone done this? I'm reluctant to install something from a link provided by someone who hasn't registered on AAS.

R.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Unregistered

Hi theonlyrick

The link above http://nds2.fds-download.nokia.com/f...A0D63WDTRFMRRC worked on entering it in N95 phone browser about 23.45GMT last night, but don't know about today although presumably you have tried this already?

Old 01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Subho

Thumbs up How to extract sis file which is downloaded from ovistore using phone browser

I used this trick on my n82 so i donot know wheater it will work on other device.u need y browser installed for this.first open ovistore site from ur phone inbuilt browser and then download whatever app u like.allow the download to complete and then when phone asks u to install or not after download completds then minimize it and open Y browser then click C then System them browse to dmgr or download manager.then 10008d39 and then contents.u will find ur downloaded software there.then click option edit and copy.when copy is selected go to E or memory card and copy file there and u r done.if u donot find ur file in 10008d39 then try searching the remaing folder in Dmgr.it will be there. Chow

Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 PM

hakapes is on a distinguished road
Facebook app to download

Could someone just link in a .sis file to download for the PC? So I can copy to my SD card and load onto the S63. Thanks!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subho View Post
I used this trick on my n82 so i donot know wheater it will work on other device.u need y browser installed for this.first open ovistore site from ur phone inbuilt browser and then download whatever app u like.allow the download to complete and then when phone asks u to install or not after download completds then minimize it and open Y browser then click C then System them browse to dmgr or download manager.then 10008d39 and then contents.u will find ur downloaded software there.then click option edit and copy.when copy is selected go to E or memory card and copy file there and u r done.if u donot find ur file in 10008d39 then try searching the remaing folder in Dmgr.it will be there. Chow
Cheers for the idea. All the sub-folders in my dmgr are empty. In my Ovi Store there isn't a prompt to install, it just goes straight ahead to install after download, so if the idea of this is to catch the file in the dmgr folder before its installed and then presumably subsequently removed post-installation, by Ovi Store I've got no chance, and can't switch over to Y-Browser quick enough! D'oh! Have to hope that the bug stays, or that Ovi sort it out and let apps like Facebook that work on other phones of the same OS be available to the phones in question!!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 AM

ansgp is on a distinguished road
locate installer downloaded via ovistore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoiholland View Post
Thanks, that's great for Facebook.

So given "application x", which was downloaded and installed through Ovi Store, does anyone know where the .sis or .dcf or whatever it was that was downloaded is stored? So you can always back it up to memory card and re-install after a factory defaulting a phone, or install on another phone?
Installers of applications/games downloaded from ovi store are temporarily stored at "mass memory/phone memory/memory card->installed files" with .dm extension. During installation they may be copied to another location for storage purposes, as after installation they are deleted.

Last edited by ansgp; 02-04-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

I can't find Facebook for my N86 anywhere on the Ovi Store.

Can anyoe please help???