All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-03-2010, 07:15 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
all Nokia touch smartphones?

not there for n900..would be nice...

Old 21-03-2010, 11:29 PM
J3st3r

Hey Leon, what has the iPhone got to do with the N97? Why bring that up lol? I wasn't comparing the N97 to the iPhone?

Old 22-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3st3r View Post
Hey Leon, what has the iPhone got to do with the N97? Why bring that up lol? I wasn't comparing the N97 to the iPhone?
What other phones do Apple make? You responded to snoFlake "drving people to Apple" by writing "Too true, my friend". So there is your link.

Old 22-03-2010, 07:25 AM

cybaba is on a distinguished road
Maybe as a result of the limited memory in the 97 mini, but I also experienced the Earth causing some latency on my device. I am totally in awe with the theme, but I think the inadequate 97 mini has caused me to not use the theme.

If I am working with other applications at the same time, it causes the device to be even more sluggish.

Old 22-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Unregistered

i downloaded this theme yesterday to my vf branded n97 mini, installed... Looks great but phone just doesnt seem right now? Bit jumpy. And when i turned it on this morning and was asked for my pin i had no star or hash keys on the number pad.

Old 22-03-2010, 01:09 PM
froschy

themes are a pretty poor substitute for a decent UI

@ pizero - I agree with you that it's a deficiency in the hardware of the N97 that causes the slowness and lag when using themes other than the defaults. I also agree that it's incorrect to blame themes for all of the crashes as the device is inherently buggy, even on v21 of the firmware.

@ Leod_UK - The argument that the N97 can be themed and the iPhone can't is tired, I'd rather have a stable device that can do what the manufacturer marketed than a device that doesn't live up to the marketing and is as unstable and problematic as the N97.

@ snoFlake - "Nokia N97 "Connecting People" - to Apple" lol, you could probably also add "or to Android".

Old 22-03-2010, 03:34 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by froschy View Post
@ Leod_UK - The argument that the N97 can be themed and the iPhone can't is tired, I'd rather have a stable device that can do what the manufacturer marketed than a device that doesn't live up to the marketing and is as unstable and problematic as the N97.

@ snoFlake - "Nokia N97 "Connecting People" - to Apple" lol, you could probably also add "or to Android".
The constant harping on about how bad the N97 is is also getting tired, to quote you. The fact is that there are many N97 owners out there who are very happy with their phones, and are also happy that they can do so much more than they can with an iPhone. You're right that the iPhone is more stable than the N97, but it is also crippled in comparison, something which may people overlook...,

Last edited by buster; 22-03-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typo

Old 22-03-2010, 03:58 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
OT

@froschy Hi to AAS - how's the morass on the Nokia boards? Just too much posting there for me.

Old 22-03-2010, 09:11 PM
froschy

@ buster - First off let me say that if you're happy with your N97 that's great.

While it's true that no device is perfect and different devices will suit different requirements, after spending a premium on the N97 I feel entitled to have gotten a more capable and competent device. Regardless of what OPK and Nokia think there are still serious problems with the N97 on v21 of the firmware which may never be resolved due to the poor design decisions and then releasing the device when they must have known that it wasn't right.

Due to these problems with the device using third-party themes has a deleterious effect on performance and stability of the device. So my point still stands and I don't think you should have to choose between customising your device and performance/stability.

There are some great themes out there designed by the likes of Pizero, etc... but I always end up removing them because the phone becomes even more unreliable.

@ snoFlake - just the usual but with a lot less discussion of the N97, IMHO mainly because owners have given up and purchased another device.
Ads

Old 22-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Unregistered

[quote=froschy;461534
".[/QUOTE]

Can you show me where to get a stable device? Because I can't find one. My iPhone certainly isn't it.

Old 23-03-2010, 10:43 AM
PiZero

Again, I know that some themes can make your phone less stable and considerably slower. However, as long as the themes are free, it's not a big matter as people can simply switch back to default theme when they get tired of their phone performance.

The real problem is when people purchase my Premium Themes; I often get complaints and sometimes chargebacks by people who think that my themes are defective :( but I have no power to fix this kind of issue!