All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 10-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post

Nokia are (thankfully) gradually improving the UI experience on S60v5. I had one of the early 5800's, and it was absolutely dire. Now I've had a few weeks with a 5230, and its like a totally different device.

V40 firmware on the 5800 is very similar to the 5230.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 PM

fidolatry is on a distinguished road
I like buttons too.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratza View Post
I think in the near future we will have smartphones with navigation ball, similar with the obsolete computer mice and the screen display won't be an issue anymore.
In the future? How about Blackberry Pearl? About 3 years ago.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:08 PM

TheProdigalFool is on a distinguished road
E90

A little off-topic but I'd just like to say how much I agree with Bluejacker above.

Nokia - of course - needs to focus on touch and get it right. They'll do so.

But I would LOVE an updated E90: with FP2, lots of memory, and a 5mp Carl Zeiss camera...

Old 10-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Unregistered

Touch

Off course touch is the future of technology, not just it looks cool but also make communication an easy job.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Jimmy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratza View Post
I think in the near future we will have smartphones with navigation ball, similar with the obsolete computer mice and the screen display won't be an issue anymore.
Eh? The future? You mean 2007? See: Blackberry and HTC trackballs.

Regarding a revamped E90, and the E-series in general: I'm rocking an E71 right now and in my opinion the non-update of the E72 shows that S60v3 for the E-series has pretty much hit a wall.

The next E-device from Nokia also can't get away with the same ARM 11 CPU even if it is overclocked, 128 MB of RAM along with a QVGA low resolution screen. If they continue down that road, RIM, with their current re-think development of the Blackberry software is going to kill them.

Regarding the other competition: my girlfriend just bought a Google Nexus One----now I want one. It's an amazing device. Using that next to an E71, no matter how well it has served me, is like night and day. Live wallpapers, people! Gesture search is also fantastic: draw a big 'G' with your finger on the screen in the address book, and the phone brings up all contacts beginning with the letter G.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Kalel17

@jimmy1

@jimmy1, um which one is easier, drawing G with your finger on your contact book or simply pressing the letter g on the e71's keyboard? You dont even have to go into the contacts book for the e71, just press it at the homescreen. And again you are comparing non-touch with touch, compared with other touchscreen phones simply drawing 'G' and getting your contacts would be quite intuitive, however it cant compare to simply pressing 'G' on a keyboard... This is where fanciness diverts people from true performance.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Jimmy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel17 View Post
This is where fanciness diverts people from true performance.
Yes, but when you're spending a few hundred dollars/euros/pounds on a smartphone, fanciness and eye-candy are highly appreciated.

If say the N97 Mini or the E72 were offered, unlocked, for say, $200, it's one thing. Nokia offers their current "high-end" devices for double that. For that amount, I can just get something else with a modern operating system and better hardware, and yes, more eye-candy.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:21 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Have just caught up with the comments here. Thanks to everyone for leaving their thoughts, for and against

In line with my comment about companies "loosing their identity", it would have been interesting to see how things would have turned out if other companies had ignored the iPhone craze.

Having said that, I don't think there's much wrong with touch screens as long as that's not the only way you can interact with the device. The finger print problem definitely needs sorting out though.

I get the points about S60v5 being bodged together, although, in the time I've had this N97 and 5530, there's nothing specific about those interfaces I'd complain about. I think the points of criticism brought to the article are generic to any touch interface.

Having said that, there was one thing about the S60 interface I'd like to see. If you see the N97 text message photo, and you see the touch buttons on the right. I think that's exactly the right way to handle the interface, but I do think there ought to be an option somewhere to throw those onto the left side for left-handed people.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In the future? How about Blackberry Pearl? About 3 years ago.
To play Devil's Advocate, I think Ratza meant a touch screen smartphone with a trackball. Still, it was already done with the G1, right?
Ads

Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
Yes, but when you're spending a few hundred dollars/euros/pounds on a smartphone, fanciness and eye-candy are highly appreciated.

I believe this is true of the eye candy effect has genuinely beneficial function. A transition effect just for the sake of a transition effect is good fun for the first 10 minutes, then it just becomes a delay. For example, the page-turning effect on WinMo 7, is just a waste of CPU time.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:42 PM

suyogmh is on a distinguished road
Good article

@David, another nice article and i liked the idea, I was thinking along same lines for long time. Most of our thoughts match about touch interface. I am also still not fully convinced using "only" touch phones like iphone or 5800. It's not that i have not tried those I used iphone for 1 month and 5800 for over 3 months but never got to same comfort while typing as i got with my old N82-perhaps many think that was worst keypad phone in recent past though i just dont agree. Same I you I find screen size as huge advantage. But apart from that I will still like to have hardware keys on phone. May be could try hybrids like N97 type.

And I liked comment from @kalel17, "This is where fanciness diverts people from true performance." Thats exactly point. One of my colleague was trying to show me off with his 5800 , how he can write on screen with stylus. But whats point when single keypress can do same, in fraction of time. I really can't get all this.

May be this is where difference between Eseries(productivity) and others come in

Old 11-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by suyogmh View Post
@. One of my colleague was trying to show me off with his 5800 , how he can write on screen with stylus. But whats point when single keypress can do same, in fraction of time. I really can't get all this.
Have you considered all languages, and particularly asian languages which are not represented graphically by the latin alphabet? How do you input those characters with a single keypress?

As usual people can't see beyond their own self-centred requirements. Try thinking a bit harder next time. Your little world is not the whole world.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:01 AM

suyogmh is on a distinguished road
@Mr. Guest, Complex characters are being used by keypads since long time. I agree that touchscreen make it easier. But whole point here is "If there is way to use keypad(Latin/Cyrillic/Arabic characters) then why use lengthy/fancy methods"

It;s just fancy/gimmicky Vs pure productivity, and I will go to later anyday.

Old 15-03-2010, 06:30 AM
Unregistered

Angry N97 and Software Updates

Where do I find the millions of various product codes for iPhone when the Nokia has got them? AND NOT posting firmware updates for half of them huh?(Take the N97 latest firmware update for an example, which millions of devices are still unable to get updates, when compared to one product code for iPhone :S :@)