All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #16  
Old 06-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
@Unregistered

What can the Nexus do that the N900 can't?

-Have 512mb of physical memory.
-Have an AMOLED screen.
-Have a larger screen.
-Have a capacitive screen.
-Be light (mass).
-Be thin.
-Have a 1400mAh battery.
-MMS

  #17  
Old 06-01-2010, 04:19 PM
UKJeeper UKJeeper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Essex
Posts: 321
UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
With regard to muting the music when you pull the headphones out, in true Apple style, "there's an app for that" for 5th Edition devices..... http://code.google.com/p/bergamot/wiki/ForYourEarsOnly

Edit: I have no idea if this works (at all), but apparently it does.... http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/...ears-only.html

Thanks for reposted my existing reply there Steve.

  #18  
Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
That charging point on the top is in completely the wrong place! While charging on a call, if the cable is pulled too tight the phone is either pulled from your hand or the cable gets broken. The charging point should should be on the bottom by default, then if it is pulled it just safely comes out of the device without damage.

  #19  
Old 06-01-2010, 08:41 PM
rvirga rvirga is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milano, Italy
Posts: 256
rvirga is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That charging point on the top is in completely the wrong place! While charging on a call, if the cable is pulled too tight the phone is either pulled from your hand or the cable gets broken. The charging point should should be on the bottom by default, then if it is pulled it just safely comes out of the device without damage.
I personally prefer it to be on the left side. When mounted on a car for navigation (in landscape mode, like <deity> intended it to be), it makes it easier to connect it to the cigarette lighter adapter. Keeping the phone plugged in while talking sounds a recipe for disaster no matter where the charging point is: keep in mind that typically one doesn't hold the phone vertical, but rather rotated at a 45 degree angle.

  #20  
Old 06-01-2010, 09:29 PM
GJW
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
@Unregistered

What can the Nexus DO that the N900 can't?

-HAVE 512mb of physical memory.
-HAVE an AMOLED screen.
-HAVE a larger screen.
-HAVE a capacitive screen.
-BElight (mass).
-BE thin.
-HAVE a 1400mAh battery.
-MMS
Which concept of 'to do' is it that you don grasp, Unregistered?

  #21  
Old 07-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs down

"an charging socket"

"supply chai,n"

Are grammar and spellcheckers another vain and superfluous addition for fanbois only in the allaboutsymbian world?

  #22  
Old 07-01-2010, 04:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the initial review

Wow. i've been waiting for this review. glad it's first part was released. I am really excited for the coming review part of Nokia X6.. I am really eyeing this phone... the move of Nokia toward capacitive screen... thanks for this. For me, the capacitive screen is an indicator of a high end touch screen because resistive screens belongs to majority of china/cloned phones... hehe. that is why i am so diappointed the the two N97's armed this...

The design is modern and masculine (especially the black and red) compare to my nokia 5800. the 32gb was welcome, i just want to know if files will suffer corruption when free space was maximized.. tha was the problem i always had on my Nokia 5800, lost music files, pictures, etc..

@raffmonster

the key lock at phone side is ingenious indeed ever since the incorporation on their first (nokia 5800)... "touch locking" might look interactive but not intuitive at all times.. physical slide lock means having the phone locked/unlocked even without looking at the screen and it is really necessary on normal day when you ride a bus and check if someone texted, etc.


@bigdondon

iPhone? that is a phone that signifies status at society.. a skin-deep complement i guess.. and i am so disappointed that this much hyped phone lacks basic functionality of recording a video (their first generation) when even all mid-entry phone of that time standardize the inclusion of this camera feature. with their much-talked high speed processor, why can't do multitasking? their one button front fascia is not enough to say it is a phone (no hardware keys for call/end key). And I do not consider the looks of all iPhone generations as "classic"... it just "redundant" & they can't even risk on scratching out new designs/looks may be in the fear of attracting bad impressions.

Android is a newbie for me. it is indeed a fast rising star but I don't think it cathces up in terms of multimedia... their menu looks like they were used by Transformers... too blocky. and i can't understand why an android phone still have navigational pads.. this was painful to use because it is unpleasant/unbalanced to use a d-pad located at the bottom while more than 80% of the upper part were occupied by a tablet size screen (3.5 to 4.x inches), and i guess they are to the campaign on using the phone two-handed.. we are humans and we are not octopus to do two handed phone navigation while simply drinking a glass of water on a regular basis.

And... Nokia solutions, as always said in many reviews, do not necessarily need fast processors for a responsive interface.. their software engineers was best enough to figure out how to maximize the potential of Symbian OS without requiring to speed up the processors. Hence, effective and EFFICIENT results.

AND, if Nokia's solutions is not Cool for you... well just think about why almost 3/4's of the popularly used smartphone OS was occupied by Nokia's Symbian Series... and the rest was "congestedly" shared & fought against by your unripe Apple and prototype Android and the others...

You might be one of the fewest who do not like Nokia... how sad.



*anyway.. i will be watching out for the following parts.. thanks! allaboutsymbian is the best (also mobile-review, though they do not have X6 review yet, but i will still wait). hehe

  #23  
Old 07-01-2010, 05:32 AM
raffmonster raffmonster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: currently, Florida
Posts: 48
raffmonster is on a distinguished road
No, it wasn't smart unlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow. i've been waiting for this review. glad it's first part was released. I am really excited for the coming review part of Nokia X6.. I am really eyeing this phone... the move of Nokia toward capacitive screen... thanks for this. For me, the capacitive screen is an indicator of a high end touch screen because resistive screens belongs to majority of china/cloned phones... hehe. that is why i am so diappointed the the two N97's armed this...

The design is modern and masculine (especially the black and red) compare to my nokia 5800. the 32gb was welcome, i just want to know if files will suffer corruption when free space was maximized.. tha was the problem i always had on my Nokia 5800, lost music files, pictures, etc..

@raffmonster

the key lock at phone side is ingenious indeed ever since the incorporation on their first (nokia 5800)... "touch locking" might look interactive but not intuitive at all times.. physical slide lock means having the phone locked/unlocked even without looking at the screen and it is really necessary on normal day when you ride a bus and check if someone texted, etc.


@bigdondon

iPhone? that is a phone that signifies status at society.. a skin-deep complement i guess.. and i am so disappointed that this much hyped phone lacks basic functionality of recording a video (their first generation) when even all mid-entry phone of that time standardize the inclusion of this camera feature. with their much-talked high speed processor, why can't do multitasking? their one button front fascia is not enough to say it is a phone (no hardware keys for call/end key). And I do not consider the looks of all iPhone generations as "classic"... it just "redundant" & they can't even risk on scratching out new designs/looks may be in the fear of attracting bad impressions.

Android is a newbie for me. it is indeed a fast rising star but I don't think it cathces up in terms of multimedia... their menu looks like they were used by Transformers... too blocky. and i can't understand why an android phone still have navigational pads.. this was painful to use because it is unpleasant/unbalanced to use a d-pad located at the bottom while more than 80% of the upper part were occupied by a tablet size screen (3.5 to 4.x inches), and i guess they are to the campaign on using the phone two-handed.. we are humans and we are not octopus to do two handed phone navigation while simply drinking a glass of water on a regular basis.

And... Nokia solutions, as always said in many reviews, do not necessarily need fast processors for a responsive interface.. their software engineers was best enough to figure out how to maximize the potential of Symbian OS without requiring to speed up the processors. Hence, effective and EFFICIENT results.

AND, if Nokia's solutions is not Cool for you... well just think about why almost 3/4's of the popularly used smartphone OS was occupied by Nokia's Symbian Series... and the rest was "congestedly" shared & fought against by your unripe Apple and prototype Android and the others...

You might be one of the fewest who do not like Nokia... how sad.



*anyway.. i will be watching out for the following parts.. thanks! allaboutsymbian is the best (also mobile-review, though they do not have X6 review yet, but i will still wait). hehe
No, I wasn't talking about smart unlock/slide to unlock. I just held my pal's new X6 and it seems you have to get a grip on the padlock using your fingernail and then slide the switch down . the other way is to press hard on the keylock so as to get some grip with your thumb(and probably recessing and damaging the switch in the long run).

I was suggesting Nokia to use secondary key combo using the bottom 3 hardware keys(there could be an app for that).

I somehow think this device was made for the 'fashionable' crowd. Now waiting for actual successor of 5800.

Nah, the comes with music is too gimmicky in my opinion. Whenever I try to download a song I get an X adjacent to the link after confirming download, maybe some bug in Ovi player.

The annoying thing is that I get a download confirmation for every song I click ,so I get a symbol instead of the song all the time.

It would have been excellent If Nokia gave us a voucher/something to pick up your favorite album from leading music stores or ,rather, not worried about loading music and making it costlier. If it was available in a cheaper price point,
I would have preferred it over 5800/5530 etc

  #24  
Old 07-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Kln Kln is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Kln is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffmonster View Post
No, I wasn't talking about smart unlock/slide to unlock. I just held my pal's new X6 and it seems you have to get a grip on the padlock using your fingernail and then slide the switch down . the other way is to press hard on the keylock so as to get some grip with your thumb(and probably recessing and damaging the switch in the long run).

I was suggesting Nokia to use secondary key combo using the bottom 3 hardware keys(there could be an app for that).

I somehow think this device was made for the 'fashionable' crowd. Now waiting for actual successor of 5800.

Nah, the comes with music is too gimmicky in my opinion. Whenever I try to download a song I get an X adjacent to the link after confirming download, maybe some bug in Ovi player.

The annoying thing is that I get a download confirmation for every song I click ,so I get a symbol instead of the song all the time.

It would have been excellent If Nokia gave us a voucher/something to pick up your favorite album from leading music stores or ,rather, not worried about loading music and making it costlier. If it was available in a cheaper price point,
I would have preferred it over 5800/5530 etc


There is an app for that, my friend - http://www.mobifunsoft.com/smartsettings
__________________
Nokia 5800XM v31.0.008

  #25  
Old 07-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
there is an app

To those who don't like physical locks, there are couple of smart free apps available for S605th.

ex: nunlock, keyunlock, etc. Google it or go to dailymobile forums. You will find it.

  #26  
Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
"an charging socket"

"supply chai,n"

Are grammar and spellcheckers another vain and superfluous addition for fanbois only in the allaboutsymbian world?
Probably due to an on-screen touch virtual keyboard. Very foregiveable, however, responding as a nit-picking anal pedantic doesn't make you look good.

  #27  
Old 07-01-2010, 01:35 PM
ILoveGadgets ILoveGadgets is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 35
ILoveGadgets is on a distinguished road
Shouldn't there be a hyphen in "anal pedantic"

ILG

  #28  
Old 07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
x6

The 5800 as been a big success from Nokia ,but the X6 now as alot to live up to,the Designers at Nokia want to be showed this review an so they learn from people opinions about there handsets an what people would like to see Nokia do,the auto lock on the side seems a Good battery saving function but if its to stiff you are going to very agrivated push hard all the time,O.k Nokia like to use refurbished Plastic alot,but why couldn"t the X6 have been made like the mini N97 with some metal on it,the only other problem with the X6 is thats its way to much overpriced,an how can the X6 help Nokia improve its sales all they are doing is losing more buyers looking at other devices instead at a cheaper price,or wait to the price of the X6 starts to fall,an that might be quick because loads will not be able to afford it so how can the mobile sellers sell it at the Nokia price tag

  #29  
Old 07-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The 5800 as been a big success from Nokia ,but the X6 now as alot to live up to,the Designers at Nokia want to be showed this review an so they learn from people opinions about there handsets an what people would like to see Nokia do,the auto lock on the side seems a Good battery saving function but if its to stiff you are going to very agrivated push hard all the time,O.k Nokia like to use refurbished Plastic alot,but why couldn"t the X6 have been made like the mini N97 with some metal on it,the only other problem with the X6 is thats its way to much overpriced,an how can the X6 help Nokia improve its sales all they are doing is losing more buyers looking at other devices instead at a cheaper price,or wait to the price of the X6 starts to fall,an that might be quick because loads will not be able to afford it so how can the mobile sellers sell it at the Nokia price tag
Nokia have the cheaper X6 (without the CwM bundle) coming in March.

The slider lock problem is being exaggerated and over stated. On the demo on in 4U that I looked at, the slider operation wasn't even noticeable. I think there are a few wimpys out there amongst the phone geeks.

The X6 case design though, is a bit strange. In order to try and get a funky look it has some sharpish dig-in edges top and bottom which killed the deal for me. Otherwise, excellent phone.

  #30  
Old 07-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveGadgets View Post
Shouldn't there be a hyphen in "anal pedantic"

ILG

No.
Ads
 

Bookmarks

Tags
nokia, physical, presence, review, styling

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:35 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy