All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 17-12-2009, 09:58 PM
AK-BB

Unhappy Returned my E72 after six days...

Thanks for the great work you guys do putting together these in-depth reviews.

Having left an E51 for a Blackberry 9000 (due to the former's weak battery), I was hoping the E72 would be the one to bring me back to Symbian. After a few days' hammering, I concluded that the E72 was a step backwards from the Blackberry: the BlackBerry's core apps are so fast to open, to navigate, to search, etc.

I encountered the same issues with the Nokia Messaging app, plus the disappointing fit of the 'chin' panel on the front of the device. Some general shoddiness, which was surprising. However, I was impressed with the strong battery life, and you can't beat the E72's footprint and slimness.

Nokia, please experiment on beta testers who are keen users, not with paying customers. I bought it handset-only and was able to return it for a refund. However, if I had just signed an upgrade agreement with the E72 as my new handset (i.e. very limited options to return or exchange), I would be dissatisfied.

Old 18-12-2009, 01:39 AM
Unregistered

Steve, nice review as always!
Do you think E72 is a worth upgrade from a E71 user?
I like the E72 because it now has a 5mpx camera that looks way better than E71, a 3.5mm jack, a faster cpu..thats about it, but the price i have to pay for it, Can get me a "2nd hand" E71, so it's kinda ridiculous..
thanks

Old 18-12-2009, 08:36 AM
JB:SWEDEN

Bluetooth problem

There have been many reports saying that third party headsets (Jabra and Plantronics, even some Nokia) don't work well on the E72. I've tried with my new Voyager Pro, and it keeps disconnecting from the phone and freezes the OS.

This is a BIG MAJOR issue for many business user. I've been a loyal Nokia fan for five years. But they're testing my patience now.

Old 18-12-2009, 11:04 AM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Do you think E72 is a worth upgrade from a E71 user?
I upgrade from an E71, mainly because I needed a better camera and also for the 3.5mm jack. I must confess that after a few days of using it I'm undecided as to whether it was worth it. My main problem is getting used to Feature Pack 2. I'm sure I will but for now I just prefer the way the Feature Pack 1 OS worked.

Old 18-12-2009, 01:37 PM
markilou

I fully agree with your review Steve. I am trying hard but I can't help being very dissatisfied with the software flaws of my E72 after waiting so long to get the phone: email configuration issue (push Gmail & MfE limited compatibility with Exchange 2003), unreliable bluetooth (although I only use Nokia BH headsets), unfriendliness of VoIP configuration (flawless on FP1 devices nightmare on the E72 although works beautifully when you get finally configured), absence of podcasting, optical pad not convincing, etc... that's just too much.

As many fans on this forum I'm not only dissapointed but also getting worried for Nokia !
Ads

Old 19-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Unregistered

Eh?

Hi Steve,

you must be using a different phone to me.

Not seeing any of the issues you report in your review. Email set-up is by far the easiest I've ever seen. Works a treat for me (although I don't synch with Exchange).

The hardware is superb - top build quality all round.

We're talking about the E72, right?

Best,
Tony

Old 19-12-2009, 06:39 PM
tech geek

"No build issues"?

Just turn off the lights guys - then you'll notice the light leaks under the screen, and that the keypad lighting is uneven.

Give it a few days and you'll notice that you have "dust under your screen".

I think Nokia shot themselves in the foot when they changed 'designs' from the E71. The battery cover is loose, the flashlight not working sometimes... I cannot believe you said "no build issues".

Thinking of selling my e72 now. :(

Old 20-12-2009, 07:32 AM

aadler is on a distinguished road
messaging

I have been using the messaging (beta) client in the e71 en e61i. Is the e72 version somehow different? On my older phones I just entered my user name and passwd, and all my 3 accounts automagically appeared on the phone as I had set them up on the nokia messaging website . What has changed?

Old 20-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Unregistered

Talking about the E72 ?

I'm using my new E72 for a week now. And I'm VERY HAPPY !

* Build quality is great
* Gmail account set-up work like a charm
* Great multi-tasking
* Fast...
* Battery life is amazing (dayS...)

Ok, it's not as "sexy" as an iPhone and the UI looks a bit dated, but it's a very EFFICIENT device. I'm very happy that I didn't read that review before buying...

Cheers...

Old 21-12-2009, 06:47 AM
AC from India

Exclamation E72's appeal only skin deep

1. @#^&*#$#@$#%$@#$
Picked up the E72 couple of days ago in sheer anticipation of a great product... opened the box (brown version) to find the "space" lifted up and the entire keypad puffed up slightly. Also, the were significant gaps between screen and 1st row of keys and bottom panel and last row of keys. Frankly speaking, i was shocked to this low level of build quality on the E72.

2. %^*$%^#$%@#%@!#%
Where is Chat ??? It seems that the version availabe in India does not offer Chat (Nokia Messaging IM) at present and no unfortunate soul at Nokia support had a clue as to what is the status of Chat.

For me these are 2 major disppointments (particularly the build quality) and I have returned the E72.

Old 23-12-2009, 02:32 AM

serwei is on a distinguished road
Does the screen rotate, eg if I want to play N95's Bejewelled?

Old 26-12-2009, 05:53 AM
ywolf

Nokia Messaging issue

I have the same issue with Nokia Messaging as it was presented by Steve. The wizard would not let me to set up the e-mail. No error messages, no confirmations and no progress. For the last 4 years I have used WinMo and I said to myself that I am going to give Nokia a chance until WinMo 7 comes out. I did not see the Nokia Messaging coming this way...

Old 13-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Unregistered

An unexpected but happy E72 owner

You might say I am a bit of a non-traditional business phone user. For the past couple years I've had the original iPhone 2g followed by the iPhone 3g. As many of you know, or may have heard, the iPhone is a *great* multimedia device. What it falls short in, by a long shot, is service as a reliable mobile phone. Without going to far afield of this review, let's just say that the unreliability of the iPhone has been far exceeded by the reliability of this jewel of a device from Nokia known as the E72.

Thus far, I've been pleased with the connectivity options and battery life of this device. Most of the functions I became accustomed to using on the iPhone I've found similar for on the E72. The call quality is simply outstanding in comparison, and seems at least as good as the N95. GPS functions work quite well and the position is locked within seconds of activating either the OVI Maps or Google Maps application. Email functionality falls a bit short though, there should be an option to set your preference to read messages as HTML by default, but otherwise work well for push against both Exchange and Gmail on the same device. The built-in camera takes great outdoor pictures but indoor pictures tend to be noisy and of significantly lower quality (in both cases, again, exceeding the iPhone). Lastly, the keyboard on the device is quite usable, although the keys are a bit small, with the keyboard becomes quite easy to use. I've not yet had the chance to explore some of the more advanced features of the phone such as tethering but look forward to it.

In short, I'd recommend this device. I had a chance to look at the N97 but found the resistive touch screen unreliable, the software exceedingly buggy, the call quality and ability to maintain connections spotty, and the overall experience a step down. If you're looking for a competent business phone with multimedia features as a second, then the E72 seems to be a pretty good choice. Recommended.

Old 14-01-2010, 11:32 AM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC from India View Post
Where is Chat ??? It seems that the version availabe in India does not offer Chat (Nokia Messaging IM) at present and no unfortunate soul at Nokia support had a clue as to what is the status of Chat.
Are you sure? To quote Clinton Jeff from http://zomgitscj.com/ye-giant-nokia-e72-review/ :
"There’s also “Nokia Messaging for IM” included in the E72 under the app name “Chat”. Although you’ll have to hunt around for it. I couldnt find it untill I went to the “Setup Chat” icon on my homescreen."

Old 14-01-2010, 01:03 PM

FWS is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Nokia E72 e-mail

At the setup process E72 connects to ccds.nokia.com server throug SSL web connection. And retrieve some data from server about preinstalled mail parameters for gmail, ovi, e.t.c.
At this moment you will be asked for typing e-mail and password and after submit your email and password, some data in two packets sized approx 1kb sent to ccds.nokia.com.
Server must be correctly answered for installation continuation
If server gets no answer, setup process canceled without errors.

Workaround.
Setup any access point, for example wifi a.p. and setup all correctly parameters, except gateway address. From the point of view of E72, the server does not answer.
Setup will continue without choices of preinstalled mail accounts.

Official support answered: without submitting from nokia server, you can not create email account.

What data sent to server, official support has not told.

Phone not checking Verisign certificate from server at TLS/SSL handshake process and can create proxy with own certificate, and watch for transmitted data in decrypted format.

But at that time phone has been returned to seller.

Good luck.