All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 26-11-2009, 03:11 AM
Unregistered

Smile screen snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincemy View Post
Thank you, Steve, for the very good and detailed review.

I just bought my N97 mini about a week ago and I can't find the utility program for screen shot. Would appreciate if you could advise me where I can download the program. Thanks.

---------------

I have found the site where I can get the free screen snap

http://nokia-n97-software.smartphone...creen_snap.php

Old 26-11-2009, 03:38 AM
vincemy

Unhappy N97 Mini - bugs?

I faced the following problems with my N97 mini:
1] If I set the morning-call alarm and switch off the device for the night, the device will hang when I switch it on the next morning just before the alarm goes off,
2] Some appllications will still ask for connection to network even though it is already connected via WLAN. If I click 'no', the application will exit but if I click 'yes' a message that it cannot connect will appear,
3] the radio will play another station although the screen says otherwise

Old 28-11-2009, 10:42 PM

bram71 is on a distinguished road
Cool n97 vs n97 mini

very good review steve...

I must say that if u try to have an objective review about the two devices you put them on a scale and way the up and the down falls...
I was able to play with bot devices and a came to the conclusion that the mini wwas indeed a tini bit better in overall preformance... But his big brother in my opinion was a bit faster in the multitasking bit...

Meself have a N97 since 4 months and after the softwareupdate it works even faster as he already did...and i dont regret of buying the device lol...

Cheers...

Old 29-11-2009, 08:47 AM
vincemy

Angry Problems with N97 Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincemy View Post
I faced the following problems with my N97 mini:
1] If I set the morning-call alarm and switch off the device for the night, the device will hang when I switch it on the next morning just before the alarm goes off,
2] Some appllications will still ask for connection to network even though it is already connected via WLAN. If I click 'no', the application will exit but if I click 'yes' a message that it cannot connect will appear,
3] the radio will play another station although the screen says otherwise
If I left the device on overnight, I can't seem to wake it up from its deep sleep. I have to ask someone to call my device before it wakes up or I have to take out the battery to restart the device. Anyone experienced the same problems? Any suggestions?

Old 07-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Unregistered

Video Recording

Thank you for your detial and critical review.

Video recording is one of my main concern. Do you think that the quality of video recording of N86 is the best among all recent Nokia devices (from N95 to N97)?

Regards

Alex

Old 11-12-2009, 08:18 AM

ericklamothe is on a distinguished road
The market is continually evolving

Thank you for a very good review and I found your advice valuable as I have been assessing the relative merits of each device. As you mentioned, I agree with you that it is a shame that the speakers on these devices are not comparable with the excellent ones on the 5800. I also agree with you that Nokia should incorporate Internet Radio into all its medium to high end devices right out of the box. The E63's popularity is to some degree I am sure due to having this right out of the box.

The N97 Mini does appear to be a more polished and practical device for everyday use although the display of the N97 Classic as it will come to be known as you point out is a selling point for those who enjoy consuming multimedia. Very amused by your comment concerning album art. I agree that work could be done here.

Shows how far the market has come that here we all are with our respective wish lists for high end smartphones. 5 years ago these devices would have been hailed as the ultimate device.

The market is continually evolving and I expect Nokia's next N series Symbian flagship will be impressive, although I appreciate that the company's intention is to introduce Maemo into its N series portfolio next year.

This article has given me food for thought. N97 Mini or E75? As you mentioned, each have their strengths.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Unregistered

fantastic review. Thanks a lot. I get to know the both n97 a lot. I think i'll go for n97 mini.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Unregistered

Closer to a decision

I really enjoyed reading the review. I had been dying to get an N97 before it was released, but knew the initial price was more than I was willing to pay. Once the price came down, the N97 Mini was released and I couldn't make up my mind (and still haven't). I have an e71x, but have few apps installed - SBSH Papyrus (now called Calendar) is a must for me. I had a YouTube app installed but removed it because it wouldn't default to WiFi. I don't think C: drive space or RAM would be an issue for me. My "dream" is to access all of my music (11 GB) on my phone, add some movies (for trips) and watch them on a big screen. The size of the Mini is compelling, but I'd have to buy a large microsdhc card to accomodate my music. It sounds like the N97 "classic" would suit me fine - the most multitasking I do is maybe a phone call + Internet + maybe one other thing. I just wish I knew of a store where I could see the phones on display instead of relying on pics and YouTube videos.
Ads

Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 AM

colin37400 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I really enjoyed reading the review. I had been dying to get an N97 before it was released, but knew the initial price was more than I was willing to pay. Once the price came down, the N97 Mini was released and I couldn't make up my mind (and still haven't). I have an e71x, but have few apps installed - SBSH Papyrus (now called Calendar) is a must for me. I had a YouTube app installed but removed it because it wouldn't default to WiFi. I don't think C: drive space or RAM would be an issue for me. My "dream" is to access all of my music (11 GB) on my phone, add some movies (for trips) and watch them on a big screen. The size of the Mini is compelling, but I'd have to buy a large microsdhc card to accomodate my music. It sounds like the N97 "classic" would suit me fine - the most multitasking I do is maybe a phone call + Internet + maybe one other thing. I just wish I knew of a store where I could see the phones on display instead of relying on pics and YouTube videos.
My advice - stay well away from the N97.

You say that C drive space or RAM won't be an issue for you - but constant crashing and generally laggy behaviour will change your mind rather quickly.

Also - I have about 15-20gig of music on mine and it really struggles to deal with it (album lists etc take ages to load up, and it doesn't show artwork correctly).

If it had enough RAM/processor power to deal with the tasks that it is supposed to be able to do, it would be a great phone. But it doesn't, and isn't.

Have had mine 6 months now and am looking forward to getting rid of it in exchange for an N900.

I haven't used an N97mini so don't know how much better it is.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Mark@Convo is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the breakdown

Thanks for the comparison Steve, I work for Nokia and my colleague and I have the luxury of being able to pick our own phones, he uses the N97, I'm with the mini. This has been a fairly constant argument between us for some time now, I'll not even try and get anywhere near the depth of your analysis but for what it's worth here's our conclusion. He likes the N97 screen, FM transmitter and battery life (it is about 20% longer in our judgement), but is not keen on the look. I'm the power user so I have a 16G memory card and about 40 3rd party apps, the extra RAM does help the non optimised stuff and I really miss the FM transmitter (I've bought a plug in one for the car). I'm not fussed by the screen size which I was happy to give up for the build and size. If I had not given my trusty N97 to another site I don't think I would have changed over. If I started from fresh I definitely would go for the N97mini for the same reasons you have highlighted. M

Old 09-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Unregistered

theme

Hey Steve,

What theme are you running on the N97?
I would like to use it on my N97mini! (Thanks for the great review, the phone is a good succesor of my HTC touch HD.)

Regards,

Erik

Old 11-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Unregistered

Now that the Mini has been out a while it is cheaper than the original (in Australia anyway) - both outright and on carrier plans.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Gallon Rock

Exclamation Can N97 or N97 Mini play Video in 720 X 480?

Dear Steve,

Please advise if the N97 or N97 mini in its latest FW can play video in D1 format (720 X 480)?

Thanks

Old 02-05-2010, 08:20 AM

zubbuz is on a distinguished road
Good review Steve.. kee it up

Old 29-05-2010, 05:57 PM
cip

how to see video and images on TV

Is there a way to see videos and images on TV from N97 mini? I have tried using a AV cable to see them on TV but wihtout success.