All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 18-11-2009, 05:03 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nokia for years have kept doing the same idea,release an mobile then a couple of months later release a more up to date mobile,the mini N97 looks just the right size an built better than the N97,hope Nokia stop this trend as its very annoying for buyers as you do not want to worry all the time you buy a Nokia mobile then a better version comes out,N73,N95 an N97,all did the same but why couldn"t we get a more up to date N86 as well
1st you criticise Nokia for always releasing improved versions of their existing phones and then you say you want them to release a improved version of the n86. You just contradicted yourself.
FYI, the n86 is an improved version of the n85 and was originally to be named as the n85 8MP - just like n95 8GB, n97 mini, n72 ME and so on.

Old 18-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Unregistered

Lightbulb picture viewer

just a little side note re the zoom on the picture viewer. Quite by accident i discovered you could zoom in and out using the volume rocker. This seems to be much easier the using the touch screen zoom control which is sometimes useless. But maybe everyone already knew this? I just noticed you didn't mention it in the review..
Ads

Old 18-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Hey, nice tip!! I'll amend the main review text as well!

Old 18-11-2009, 12:32 PM

TheUndertaker is on a distinguished road
well actually, the nokia's version of s60v5 real player supports

mpeg4 video upto nHD 640x360
h.264 mp4 video upto 320x240

and this applies to ALL of nokia's s60v5 devices, be it n97 or even a 5230. they all have the same 434mhz cpu and 128mb ram. hence they are all (strangely) capable of handling the same media types.

thats the reason why when you play mp4 h.264 videos, even if they are a little higher than 320x240, the player skips video playback. it is capable of playing these videos, but it might result in shuttering while playing these videos. hence the cap is set at 320x240 QVGA.

Old 18-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Unregistered

N97 Camera Cover

I am not able to find a pouch for my N97 which has a button type. With the normal magnetic type pouch, the camera will open automatically and active the camera which will result automatically unlock the phone. Could you please suggest a pouch which has button to close instead of depending the magnetic? Any way, your review is very very good. Thank you for your review. I am a N97 classic owner.

Mathews

Old 19-11-2009, 02:16 AM
Vincemy

Thumbs up N97 mini - screen shots

Thank you, Steve, for the very good and detailed review.

I just bought my N97 mini about a week ago and I can't find the utility program for screen shot. Would appreciate if you could advise me where I can download the program. Thanks.

Old 19-11-2009, 02:47 AM

colin37400 is on a distinguished road
The review fails to mention that the music player struggles to deal with a large amount of music on the E: drive.

This is a serious issue. I have 20gig on there and switching between lists in the music player can be v e r y s l o w. Sometimes literally five minutes between opening the music player and eventually getting to the album and track I want.

Not good enough for a device one of the main selling points of which is its 32gig internal memory.

Old 19-11-2009, 07:16 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin37400 View Post
The review fails to mention that the music player struggles to deal with a large amount of music on the E: drive.

This is a serious issue. I have 20gig on there and switching between lists in the music player can be v e r y s l o w. Sometimes literally five minutes between opening the music player and eventually getting to the album and track I want.

Not good enough for a device one of the main selling points of which is its 32gig internal memory.
Which is why you should go for the mini Hopefully, the phone does not have issues handling just a 8 GB disk.

But good point though.

Old 19-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Tomtomtom

Question Office capabilities?

Great review, thanks!

I'd additionally like to know how well the device handles documents (xls, doc, ppt, pdf). I currently own the N82 (which has served me very well) and on that device opening large office documents was simply impossible: either the sw would crash or scrolling/flipping pages would take forever.

Is the N97 strong enough to satisfyingly handle mid sized (20 pages word doc, 40 pages pdf) documents?

Also if someone could report on how well editing word doc's works (with paid sw), that'd be great!

I'm commuting daily and would love a small device on which I can read office docs and especially type some quick word docs every now and than, thus not having to lug around my laptop all the time.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 19-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Tomtomtom

Question

Oh and: How's the battery life realy?

I've searched the web but answers are hard to come by. Some few complain about it needing several recharges to get through a day, others say it's on par with other phones.

Can you give us some numbers on how long it lasts under heavy and mild useage?

Thanks again!

Old 19-11-2009, 04:16 PM

JayTay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtomtom View Post
Oh and: How's the battery life realy?

I've searched the web but answers are hard to come by. Some few complain about it needing several recharges to get through a day, others say it's on par with other phones.

Can you give us some numbers on how long it lasts under heavy and mild useage?

Thanks again!
For the N97 or the Mini?

My Mini lasts about a day with pretty heavy usage, some Ovi Maps, lots of browsing and Gravity and Profimail open on and off throughout the day. On average usage (browsing, Gravity and Profimail open sporadically) my battery is down to just under half by the end of the day.

Old 19-11-2009, 07:11 PM
YetAnotherUnreg

N97 vs N900 vs Touch Pro 2

Hi Steve,

Still waiting for the ultimate showdown:
- N97 (mini) vs N900 vs Touch Pro 2

These devices are very well positioned, nearly incomparable. That WOULD be a challenge.

Regards,

Ben

Old 19-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Unregistered

Richard Heuston

Good review. I spend a lot of time driving using a Parrot Bluethooth car kit. I currently own a Nokia E66 which has voice dialling for all the phones contacts without having to record anything.
Does the N97 mini have this feature? Also I note that the charging lead has to go into the side of the phone (if in a traditional holder) which will make it incompatable with most phone holders.
If I could get a holder for the car and have voice dailling without having to do anything then I can get one from Orange for free as my contract is due for renewal.

Old 20-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Unregistered

Battery life

How does that compare with battery life on the N97 'classic'?
That might just swing my decision back from the mini.
A sensative subject as I am upgrading from an N95-1.
(In fact, can you compare it with N95 under your moderate usage?)

Thanks for an excellent review. Very helpful in deciding between mini and 'classic'.

Old 21-11-2009, 09:48 AM

colin37400 is on a distinguished road
I've found the battery life on the n97 "classic" to be better than my old n95-1.