All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-01-2010, 12:08 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Just updated my Map's posting to include details of Skyhook's app called Maps Booster which uses wifi to enhance the location fix, a bit like Google Maps and iPhone.

I have been using it for about 6 weeks and it has certainly improved the speed of my lock, particularly in built-up ares, so much so that I can use "Current Location" on Accuweather indoors. Once installed and set up it sits quietly in the background like Assisted GPS.

The app costs 3 and is available from the Ovi Store. More details here:-

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/mapsbooster/

Old 05-02-2010, 07:43 PM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
Now that we have maps 3.03 any chance on some new pointers.

For example do we still have to do that figure of 8 thingy to get the direction right, and is that what the pointer is for in the bottom left of the screen.

Is there a way to toggle different points of interest or add our own overlays?

Is there a way to "force" the map to show you driving along the road in the correct direction (like it does in navigation) It's very confusing watching the screen showing you driving sideways.

Also it would seem that Skyhooks Maps booster no longer works with the latest firmware update.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboat View Post
Now that we have maps 3.03 any chance on some new pointers.

For example do we still have to do that figure of 8 thingy to get the direction right, and is that what the pointer is for in the bottom left of the screen.

Is there a way to toggle different points of interest or add our own overlays?

Is there a way to "force" the map to show you driving along the road in the correct direction (like it does in navigation) It's very confusing watching the screen showing you driving sideways.

Also it would seem that Skyhooks Maps booster no longer works with the latest firmware update.
"Figure of 8 thingy" is still required to calibrate the compass (now the pointer at the bottom of the screen).

"Is there a way to "force" the map to show you driving along the road in the correct direction (like it does in navigation) It's very confusing watching the screen showing you driving sideways."

Not sure what you mean on this. If you are not using navigation and have calibrated your compass it should show your map aligned correctly.

Maps Booster is most definitely up and running after v21. The problem seemed to be with v20 and Maps v3.03 and Maps Booster but all good now, particularly in built-up areas and indoors.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
"Figure of 8 thingy" is still required to calibrate the compass (now the pointer at the bottom of the screen).

"Is there a way to "force" the map to show you driving along the road in the correct direction (like it does in navigation) It's very confusing watching the screen showing you driving sideways."

Not sure what you mean on this. If you are not using navigation and have calibrated your compass it should show your map aligned correctly.

Maps Booster is most definitely up and running after v21. The problem seemed to be with v20 and Maps v3.03 and Maps Booster but all good now, particularly in built-up areas and indoors.

Cheers for the quick reply. okay the figure of 8 will ensure that the screen shows me driving the right way.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:34 PM

747Golf is on a distinguished road
Is there a compass feature on the 5800 and if so can it be calebrated, so the map can show the correct orientation when driving (but not in guidance mode) ?

How about the cameras ...how to get them to show?

Regards

Old 08-02-2010, 06:30 AM

Well i still find i get a fix very quickly, but getting the compass to go green only works about 30% of the time, no mater which way i wave the phone about...

Also can anyone tell me what the "optimised" route setting does?

Old 08-02-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Well i still find i get a fix very quickly, but getting the compass to go green only works about 30% of the time, no mater which way i wave the phone about...

Also can anyone tell me what the "optimised" route setting does?
I would recommend installing Maps Booster from the Ovi Store, (3).

A great piece of kit that, once installed and configured, sits quietly in the background and enhances your position, even indoors. Speeds up getting a lock too, even in built up areas.

Works with not only Maps but any GPS app, AccuWeather (shows Current Location for me), Google Maps, etc:

Optimized route takes into account all of your criteria entered into settings along with any updates.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:32 PM

like i said i get a fix very quickly, it's just getting the compass to go green that is the problem.
I find just standing still and repeatedly tapping the compass indicator will cause it to turn green. However it loses it orientation after ten seconds or so.

Does maps boosterreall help the phone know which direction i'm facing?
I don't mind shelling out the 3 it's just that as it uses wifi and i live in the country i didn't think it wold be much use to me,

Also i would prefer not having stuff running in the background if i can help it.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
like i said i get a fix very quickly, it's just getting the compass to go green that is the problem.
I find the method in this thread works for me:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=85712

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open
Ads

Old 08-02-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I find just standing still and repeatedly tapping the compass indicator will cause it to turn green. However it loses it orientation after ten seconds or so.

Does maps boosterreall help the phone know which direction i'm facing?
I don't mind shelling out the 3 it's just that as it uses wifi and i live in the country i didn't think it wold be much use to me,

Also i would prefer not having stuff running in the background if i can help it.
Maps Booster is like AGPS and only runs when you require it (like AGPS).

It enhances and speeds up your lock and its accuracy and therefore "turns your compass green" and this in turn orientates the map.

Works great in the country for me as I have it set to my 3G service (only uses a few kb's of data).

Old 23-02-2010, 02:31 PM

K300 is on a distinguished road
A dummy still having a problem with maps.

Hi,
newbie here,

trying to get Ovi maps working on my N97, downloaded the latest firmware fine through PC Suite.
Then tried to Download maps, which then opens up the website, so I go to the Ovi maps page and tell it that I have an N97.
I click on OK which then opens up 'Download Map Loader'.
I select English and click on Download.
The file download screen comes up for NokiaMapLoaderSetup_ENU.exe
I click on Run.
The security warning comes up asking if I want to Run the software, I click on Run.
It tells me that it requires that another piece of software(Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0) is installed first so I click Install.
Then it tells me an error occurred while downloading the file and would I like to Retry.
I click on Retry.
It does this a couple of times and then fails to do anything.

I have also tried following the other instructions on the nokia/support website which say:
Go to Menu Applications SW update on your Nokia N97

Select Ovi Maps from the list of available updates

Select Options Start update
This gives me a screen which says Refreshing list of available updates.
Then Refreshing failed try again later.

This has been going on all day(well, 4 hours anyway).

I have since followed the instructions for dummys here and got it to stage 3 apart from it didn't download any maps even locally. although it did give good strong satellite lock and was able to give me co-ordinates reliably.

Brought it back in to try the above again but still no joy.
I've turned off AVG and Windows Firewall to no effect(didn't restart the PC).

Help!

Old 24-02-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K300 View Post
It tells me that it requires that another piece of software(Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0) is installed first so I click Install.
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 is, as the name suggests, a Microsoft programme for your computer and you should update your computer first using Microsoft Update.

Failing that you could try downloading it this way:-

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=92463

Hope this helps.

Old 25-02-2010, 11:03 AM

K300 is on a distinguished road
Very helpful thanks very much,
managed to get maps_installer onto my desktop and also managed to get Ovi maps installed onto the N97 as a program but am now wondering how to get the maps installed.

Got to stage 3 of the instructions on the original posting on here, so now have satellites locked although no mapping was downloaded automatically.

If I click on the maps installer on my desktop it keeps asking if I want to install teh application to the N97 and then asks me to complete the install through the phone.

I think what I am looking for on the phone is how to now download the actual maps.

Now really short of time due to leave in 30 minutes for Hungary and trying to get that mapping sorted on the phone.

Thanks in advance.

Old 25-02-2010, 11:39 AM

You need to install Ovi Maps v3.03 to your phone using PC Suite, or Ovi Suite, and with the phone connected via USB.

Next you need to follow the instructions from step 3.

Hope this helps.

Old 28-02-2010, 08:55 AM

UPDATE

It's worth updating your phone's maps prog. to the beta v3.04, available here:-

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/ovi-maps-beta-for-mobile

It is fast and accurate and now includes WiFi network positioning to enhance the GPS and AGPS signal. Coupled with the Maps Booster app it gives me my location to within 10-20 metres... indoors!

Minor changes to the UI, GPS signal bar removed as I'm told that Nokia consider it redundant due to the number of positioning methods now available on the phone. Also zooming in and out is faster as is the satellite view.

Still has FREE voice navigation, etc:

I have been the first to criticize Nokia in the past but they have really pulled all the stops out on this one!