All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-11-2009, 02:19 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Google Mobile App for S60 released!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10388716-1.html

I have downloaded and have tested this to see if it works better than the vLingo "voice-recognition search" feature.

To install:

Point the N97 web browser to: http://m.google.com

And then click on "New! Search Google by Voice" which appears under the search text entry box & button.

After installation, you'll be prompted to accept the Terms of Use and select your country.

The application uses your last cell tower location to "localize" the search if necessary.

You Hold the Green call button down while speaking your search string.

It processes and then displays the search string on the display, which if you agree with you push the Search softkey in the middle bottom of the display to begin your search.

Appears to work as advertised.

Now we all need to work on our diction and enunciation.

WARNING...don't try to use this feature if you're slurring your speech (unless you want to be amused by the parsing results!).

CONSPIRACY THEORIST VIEWPOINT: this might just be another feature that Big Brother can use to localize you by your voice print and cell location.

FINAL COMMENT: the "CLOSE" button simply hides the application. To exit, you need to select OPTIONS->EXIT.

Last edited by rdcinhou; 05-11-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:55 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Visual disabled

It seems like a nice app for visual disabled . Does it also talk back , to be able to select the found results ?

Talking to google search also informs your Big Brother at close distant , what you are looking for .....

BTW : www.google.com/dashboard is a step toward the conspiracy theorist

Regards jApi NL

Last edited by jApi NL; 05-11-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Adding dashboard
Ads

Old 05-11-2009, 05:15 PM

MonarchX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10388716-1.html

I have downloaded and have tested this to see if it works better than the vLingo "voice-recognition search" feature.

To install:

Point the N97 web browser to: http://m.google.com

And then click on "New! Search Google by Voice" which appears under the search text entry box & button.

After installation, you'll be prompted to accept the Terms of Use and select your country.

The application uses your last cell tower location to "localize" the search if necessary.

You Hold the Green call button down while speaking your search string.

It processes and then displays the search string on the display, which if you agree with you push the Search softkey in the middle bottom of the display to begin your search.

Appears to work as advertised.

Now we all need to work on our diction and enunciation.

WARNING...don't try to use this feature if you're slurring your speech (unless you want to be amused by the parsing results!).

CONSPIRACY THEORIST VIEWPOINT: this might just be another feature that Big Brother can use to localize you by your voice print and cell location.

FINAL COMMENT: the "CLOSE" button simply hides the application. To exit, you need to select OPTIONS->EXIT.
So, can it send regular SMS via voice commands? This is what I use VLINGO for and its the core feature of VLINGO since SMS is limited in the free version.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:18 PM

At present it is only a Google Search application.

But knowing that company, they may offer that feature in future.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:10 PM

Olly is on a distinguished road
I spotted this app on Tuesday and installed it, it was a 5800 version so worked badly, maybe the link has changed now.
Vlingo is quite fun although I've not used it properly and seems to be more user freindly than the Google one.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 AM

After problems which seem to have occured after installing Google Search (voice recognition), I have uninstalled it from my N97:

1. It conflicts with the built-in voice command feature of the N97. I can't find any way to display the built-in voice command once activated.

2. It inserts a hook into the OS which displays a little message "Google - Press [ to search" into the home screen (just above the softkeys) which appears upon unlocking the display and fades out after a few seconds. I believe that this "hook" began causing some of my other applications to "hang" and not respond to the touchscreen for up to 30 seconds.

Upon uninstalling this application, things have returned pretty much to normal.

GOOGLE SEARCH (SYMBIAN 5) NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:49 AM

greigster is on a distinguished road
Hmm. Ive had no problems with mine so far. I installed it and put the google widget on my home-screen so I only have to press the widget and then the green call key for it to work. The other way is to hit the "back arrow" on open keyboard followed by green call key and that also launches Google voice search. This has to be one of the greatest programs out there and I will never have to search using the keyboard again.

Greigster

Old 09-11-2009, 09:32 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post

2. It inserts a hook into the OS which displays a little message "Google - Press [ to search" into the home screen (just above the softkeys) which appears upon unlocking the display and fades out after a few seconds. I believe that this "hook" began causing some of my other applications to "hang" and not respond to the touchscreen for up to 30 seconds.
The message "Google - Press [ to search" and Quick key feature can be disabled in Settings.

Works great for me. Even returned the correct results for the search... "The Legend of Xanadau Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick Titch".

I have now replaced my Web icon on the home screen with the Google Search one.