Old 04-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Unregistered

The N97 mini doesn't have compass!

Old 04-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Unregistered

gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekaybsc View Post
I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, both versions of the N97 are complete shit when compared to the Droid/Milestone. If I'm going to have a touch screen it had better be capacitive, huge and high res, and the hardware absolutely cannot be barely better than what I have in the E90, and in some cases worse - no 3D accel, nearly useless amount of available RAM.

I still love the E90, and I would be absolutely delighted with little more than an update to the latest processor tech. I think the clams hell form factor is flawless. But since nobody wants to deliver that anymore, the best slider out there is by FAR the Droid/Milestone. If Nokia continues to make underpowered crap, and boring E71 and E55 retreads over and over, that's going to be my next phone.
the uber spec'd android and windows units with their towering spec sheets are there for people like you to have the top hardware specification to show. It's good to have choices. The millions of non-gadget geek like us (businessmen or so) have enjoyed their N71 and blackberries with out the 3D accel and high topping clock rates. I'm telling you this right now to go try the Androids as you may like them and have the specs to feel comfortable about. I'm sure a lot of people enjoy their under spec'd N97, N86 a lot but you won't see them in any geek forums.
Ads

Old 04-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejoma View Post
I think it all depends how you use the phone. I've had an i8910 for three months or so and love it. It has great hardware a good selection of programs and an easy to use interphase - Once you're trained up on S60! It's my media / weekend phone of choice.

But, when I go to work I get out my E71. .
The i8910 is too much an iphone form factor. Lack of a keyboard really separates it from the N97, widgets, bookmarks and v20 make it sppedier and easier to use then the E71.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekaybsc View Post
I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, both versions of the N97 are complete shit when compared to the Droid/Milestone.
Ha you poser spec monger. What an educated opinion for a device that isn't released yet. Motorola has such a stellar reputation at developing smartphones.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:50 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
My contract is ending soon and I was speaking to Orange sales to see what up and coming phones they will have.

I asked about the Nokia N97 mini, Orange have rejected it, it failed their tests .................. what ever that means.

A good section of the public want the latest and best advertised handset. Not because it has the features they want, but because it is the latest and most popular. Orange don't see the Nokia N97 mini as the best and most popular.

Why is Symbian getting some bad press.............. because there is a new kid on the block and folks want new and not always best.

My daughter ordered a new handset from Vodafone. The (Vodafone) Nokia 6730. She sent it back the next day; she said it was to complicated to use. The Nokia 6700 is a S40, but the 6730 is an S60.

Not everyone wants complicated to use handsets.

I have the Nokia 5530 and that is an ideal touch handset, apart from a few niggles. I would not want to carry an iphone at over 135 grams and even the Nokia 97 mini is still a weighty phone.

So having got a lot of customers on their side with the 5800 and the 5530, what do Nokia do next................ bring out the x6. A BRICK. Where do the 5800 and the 5530 users look next? They will go to the company who bring out a lighter touch.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokusedtobefan View Post
1. the keyboard on the N97/mini is just stupid with that space bar all the way on the right
Why? It seems very sensible to put it somewhere where it takes less space. If you need a space you press the space bar, regardless of where it is. Do you have trouble finding it?

Quote:
2. the d-pad should be on the front screen if you want it placed useful and prolly should be optical too or why not just a track ball?
Why? N97 mini has no d-pad. The front screen is touch enabled. ("probably")

Quote:
3. the design of the whole phone is just hideous, the N97 is too thick, the mini is awkwardly colored and the back is weird with that camera standing out.
Loads of phones have the camera lens standout. I agree the N97 is too thick. Wait until you see the N900

Quote:
4. screen responsiveness: they just don't get it.. resistive screens are less responsive on the human finger than capacitive screens, its that simple, so why in the world are they still using resistive screens is beyond me.
The Savander interview explained what most people knew about resistive. It allows stylus input that enables handwriting recognition. Very important in the Asian markets where most are sold.
It also resists impact better.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Unregistered

iPhone to E75

I had an iPhone 3G from day one (queued outside the store!) and the other day switched to an E75.

I had forgotton just how much easier having actual buttons are. Apparently, I'm not alone:

More than half of touchscreen users will go back to buttons:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11...hphone_survey/

Old 04-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshot View Post

So having got a lot of customers on their side with the 5800 and the 5530, what do Nokia do next................ bring out the x6. A BRICK. Where do the 5800 and the 5530 users look next? They will go to the company who bring out a lighter touch.
The X6 is smaller than the 5800. Similar dimension x and y but slimmer. Only 12 grams more in weight (12 grams is just slightly more than a UK £1 coin).

BUT, X6 is double the cost of the 5800/5530 and in a completely different target market. It's also better built with less creaky plastic.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:49 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The X6 is smaller than the 5800. Similar dimension x and y but slimmer. Only 12 grams more in weight (12 grams is just slightly more than a UK £1 coin).

BUT, X6 is double the cost of the 5800/5530 and in a completely different target market. It's also better built with less creaky plastic.
12 grams does not seem much but it is a 10% increase in weight and if nokia managed to reduce the 5800 weight by ONLY 10% that would be 2 £1 coins lighter.

If the x6 is for a completely different target market then as I said, what do the 5800 owners, who bought that handset because of the compact and light weight, upgrade to?

If weight is not an issue that more people will go for the iphone.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Unregistered

N86/n97

Nokia did a big mistake putting the querty keypad on the N97 as the phone turned out to wide an heavy,the N86 screen should have been bigger as well as i still prefer the N95 8gb for images as the screen i spot on,thats the good avantage with touch screen mobiles the screens are brilliant for images an videos,so we might have see something change how mobiles are produced,but not everyone like touch screen mobiles,o.k good for office workers but for builders or engineers not all that good as your wiping the screens all the time

Old 05-11-2009, 02:29 PM

r-486 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
the uber spec'd android and windows units with their towering spec sheets are there for people like you to have the top hardware specification to show. It's good to have choices. The millions of non-gadget geek like us (businessmen or so) have enjoyed their N71 and blackberries with out the 3D accel and high topping clock rates. I'm telling you this right now to go try the Androids as you may like them and have the specs to feel comfortable about. I'm sure a lot of people enjoy their under spec'd N97, N86 a lot but you won't see them in any geek forums.
Without the right software and OS, hardware is useless. My computer specs are not recent, but everything is very snappy, because of my OS settings and software. People like to see high specs and many times never use them or take any advantage of them. Or there are those people who have to have the "best" just to have it regardless of their needs.

Quote:
I had an iPhone 3G from day one (queued outside the store!) and the other day switched to an E75.

I had forgotton just how much easier having actual buttons are. Apparently, I'm not alone:

More than half of touchscreen users will go back to buttons:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11...hphone_survey/
I had 10+ apps opened on my N86 with no noticeable lag. You can’t do that on iPhone or other touch screens that I’m aware. I tried a friend’s iPhone. I didn’t like typing was hard for me. I guess it takes time to get use to it. I didn’t use it with a stylus which I guess makes it easier to use. Not having actually owned it my opinion is probably not justifiable. Opera browser is fast on my mobile. I don’t need to view quality images so image rendering is set for speed. It’s not like I’m going to stream videos or anything bandwidth intensive. None of the touchscreens catch my eye right now except maybe the N900 and X10. X10 doesn’t have a keypad. We’ll have to see how they fare.

Quote:
Nokia did a big mistake putting the querty keypad on the N97 as the phone turned out to wide an heavy,the N86 screen should have been bigger as well as i still prefer the N95 8gb for images as the screen i spot on,thats the good avantage with touch screen mobiles the screens are brilliant for images an videos,so we might have see something change how mobiles are produced,but not everyone like touch screen mobiles,o.k good for office workers but for builders or engineers not all that good as your wiping the screens all the time
I never understood why people complain about the weight of a phone. Is it too heavy to lift? A phone that’s light feels fragile to me. As for size, as long as it fits in my pocket I don’t think I would have a problem with it.

Last edited by r-486; 05-11-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Jouten

Talking Just get a Nokia 5730XM and be done with it.

I've had the Nokia 5800XM, Samsung Eternity, LG Vu, Sony w580i, Palm Treo 650, and a couple of 'plain' nokia low-end phones. I also own an iPod Touch with access to the iPhone itself. I can tell you right now, the 5730 is a great phone (just don't use the contacts bar if you're an impatient person!). In fact, I am going to use it as my primary phone for probably 1 1/2 to 2 years. I think this is the last great phone Nokia will put out for at least two years. In that time I will watch the phone manufacturers carefully and determine, when the time comes, which phone will be best for me. IF I were to choose another phone right now though, it would probably be the MotoDroid. Android is just advancing at an alarming pace. It is maturing very nicely and I like it's cloud/open structure. Nokia has a long way to go to catch up to the Pre and Droid sets. But who knows? Maybe in a year and a half's time, Nokia could be back on top again with Maemo or even possibly Android itself!

Peace!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:36 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
@ r-486

Quote:
I didnít use it with a stylus which I guess makes it easier to use.
Because the screen is capacitive, you CAN'T use a stylus, even if you want to...

Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
12 grams does not seem much
That's right. Because it isn't much. But it does give a much more solid and robust casing.

Quote:
but it is a 10% increase in weight and if nokia managed to reduce the 5800 weight by ONLY 10% that would be 2 £1 coins lighter.
Most would barely be able to detect the difference.

Quote:
If the x6 is for a completely different target market then as I said, what do the 5800 owners, who bought that handset because of the compact and light weight, upgrade to?
Dunno, don't care.

Quote:
If weight is not an issue that more people will go for the iphone.

LOL! But the iPhone is a big huge slab, I rejected it because of its stupid form factor.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-486 View Post
I never understood why people complain about the weight of a phone. Is it too heavy to lift? A phone thatís light feels fragile to me. As for size, as long as it fits in my pocket I donít think I would have a problem with it.
I don't understand why people would want to carry a brick around everywhere they go. I'm not so bothered about weight (would prefer lighter) but the latest batch of slabs are ridiculous.