All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-11-2009, 12:19 AM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
I think the problem is not the N97, but AT&T's network...

http://bx.businessweek.com/att/view?...-properly.html

When I'm connected via 3G I see the problem that MonarchX and others describe...partial load of a page, followed by a bit of a lockup where you cannot scroll the page until it loads further.

When connecting via WiFi I don't see these problems.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:08 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
I think the problem is not the N97, but AT&T's network...

http://bx.businessweek.com/att/view?...-properly.html

When I'm connected via 3G I see the problem that MonarchX and others describe...partial load of a page, followed by a bit of a lockup where you cannot scroll the page until it loads further.

When connecting via WiFi I don't see these problems.
Thanks rdcinhou.

You may, as they say, have hit the nail on the head.

We in Western Europe tend to take High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA or 3.5G) for granted.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:04 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiepea View Post
ok my curiosity has bit celios, please send me a website that you're having problems with, i'd like to try it out

(i didn't mean that my curiosity has bit celios, i meant that my curiosity has bit - maybe i should just start over this post again lol)
Glad I'm not getting bitten!

This site:

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/....php?do=getnew

Will stutter and not scroll when loading for me on the N97 - even over WiFi. It's not a graphics heavy page, so I think the problem must be the design, or possibly the way the CSS stuff is coded or referenced.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 AM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Alternatives to see if it is the software, the hardware or the network...

Opera Mini

Skyfire

Old 03-11-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post
Glad I'm not getting bitten!

This site:

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/....php?do=getnew

Will stutter and not scroll when loading for me on the N97 - even over WiFi. It's not a graphics heavy page, so I think the problem must be the design, or possibly the way the CSS stuff is coded or referenced.
I think you're right celios about the design or coding on what is. after all, a basic page. Even on wifi it took about 20 sec's to load.

Tried it both through wifi and 3.5G (see screenshots) and could start to move around the page at around 550kB.

Tried, not easy, to take the screenshots as soon as I could navigate, which admittedly was when it was almost loaded.

I'm therefore more inclined to go with rdcinhou's theory that it is to do with the network signal MonarchX is getting in the States and that this post should be retitled "N97 browser loads scroller as the last item...how dumb... when you have a rubbish connection".

I don't know about you celios but I think there has been a significant improvement in the built-in browser on v20.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WiFi.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	4682   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.5G.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	4683  

Old 03-11-2009, 02:00 PM

MonarchX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
I think you're right celios about the design or coding on what is. after all, a basic page. Even on wifi it took about 20 sec's to load.

Tried it both through wifi and 3.5G (see screenshots) and could start to move around the page at around 550kB.

Tried, not easy, to take the screenshots as soon as I could navigate, which admittedly was when it was almost loaded.

I'm therefore more inclined to go with rdcinhou's theory that it is to do with the network signal MonarchX is getting in the States and that this post should be retitled "N97 browser loads scroller as the last item...how dumb... when you have a rubbish connection".

I don't know about you celios but I think there has been a significant improvement in the built-in browser on v20.
Well... thing is...the scroller is already loaded, most of the page is already loaded...so scrolling should be possible REDGARDLESS of what connection you got. If the scroller tool is already downloaded then you can't blame it on the connection. It happens to me over WiFi, but the lag isn't as long because the sites load faster than over 3G overall. AT&T 3.5G does suck - they recently discovered that their towers are not properly configured.
Ads

Old 03-11-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post
Well... thing is...the scroller is already loaded, most of the page is already loaded...so scrolling should be possible REDGARDLESS of what connection you got. If the scroller tool is already downloaded then you can't blame it on the connection. It happens to me over WiFi, but the lag isn't as long because the sites load faster than over 3G overall. AT&T 3.5G does suck - they recently discovered that their towers are not properly configured.
I think we've proved that the scroller is operative when a reasonable amount of the page has been downloaded... after all, there's no point in scrolling around an empty page is there?

Besides which, on wifi or 3.5G, most pages load pretty quickly.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:12 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
Well, it does seem to load pages a bit quicker and it doesn't crash as much as with v12 (although I suspect this may be related to the memory tweaks in v20).

It's still no threat to the iPhone / Android browser though.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 AM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE
It's still no threat to the iPhone / Android browser though.[/quote]

Opera mini beta is better than all of them!