All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-11-2009, 01:24 AM

MonarchX is on a distinguished road
N97 browser loads scfroller as the last item...how dumb...

I can't figure out why designers decided that user would rather wait for the whole site to load before he or she can scroll. That's what the browser does, and you have to wait unti your 3G connecion loads evrry bit of the site before you can scroll around the site... I mean that alone is a reason why Opera feels so much faster because you can scroll while images are loading in the background.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:59 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Have you tried changing this setting in your browser?:-

Options > Settings > General > Open while downloading (select "Yes")

I do have to say that on v20 my browser opens with lightening speed.

Last edited by ironass; 02-11-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
Have you tried changing this setting in your browser?:-

Options > Settings > General > Open while downloading (select "Yes")

I do have to say that on v20 my browser opens with lightening speed.
Not sure what browser opening speed has anything to do with what I said... That option was always set to Yes for me too.

i am saying that N97 browser will not allow a user to move around the site until every damn image, photo, background and other items are fully loaded. So 95% of a site could load within seconds and the remaining 5% loads slow for whatever reason (could be slow ad server) - the browser won't let the user navigate the site and scroll around until all 100% is loaded. Normally, other browsers like Opera let you navigate the site while imagws are still loading in the background and you don't have to wait until 100% of the site is loaded - a whole lot faster!
I think it is laughable that N97 browser is slower and choppier than iPhone's... There is a comparison video on YouTube.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Meant that because my browser opens pages very quickly (a lot quicker than Opera 5 beta) on v20, then there is very little "waiting" time and I can scroll around whilst the page is still downloading.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
Meant that because my browser opens pages very quickly (a lot quicker than Opera 5 beta) on v20, then there is very little "waiting" time and I can scroll around whilst the page is still downloading.
And mine stutters or freezes until the page is fully loaded. I used another N97 in a store and it did the same thing, so I can't see how yours can be different.
Clear ALL cookies, history, temp data and I will find a site for you to navigate where you can't scroll until the page is fully loaded. It would important to try to scroll and move around as soon as possible to witness the fact that you can't do it until the page is fully loaded.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:39 PM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
I don't have the problems that you're having MonarchX, since the v20 update everything is running fast, and there's no waiting around for pages to fully load - any chance you've downloaded a nasty app that's slowing things down ?
Ads

Old 02-11-2009, 01:49 PM

I used this link to National Geographics page, which is fairly image heavy, to test it:-

http://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/

perhaps angiepea could try it please.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 PM

ooohh nice site

i can confirm that i could scroll around the page, and click on links on the page whilst the main page was still loading - and it was loading super fast, really impressed

Old 02-11-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiepea View Post
ooohh nice site

i can confirm that i could scroll around the page, and click on links on the page whilst the main page was still loading - and it was loading super fast, really impressed
That's 2 of us now MonarchX.

I should add that in the UK we have very good 3.5G coverage which is what I was using away from home (even quicker on wifi), if that makes any difference.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:17 PM

I swear I have a freaking prototype then...

Old 02-11-2009, 04:46 PM

oh dear MonarchX, i'm so sad you're having difficulties

as a matter of interest, what's your product code ? RM number ?

Old 02-11-2009, 05:37 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem. I think it depends on how the page is designed and what elements it contains. Seems to happen more with large pages than small ones, but I can scroll while loading some large pages and not others.

The setting "Open while downloading" in the S60 browser makes no difference to this behaviour.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:07 PM

chongsparks is on a distinguished road
Yep, I have the same problem too. I've tried altering all sorts to get the pages to load differently. Maybe someone who doesn't have the problem can post their N97 browser/internet settings so we can compare them to ours?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post
I have the same problem. I think it depends on how the page is designed and what elements it contains. Seems to happen more with large pages than small ones, but I can scroll while loading some large pages and not others.

The setting "Open while downloading" in the S60 browser makes no difference to this behaviour.
ok my curiosity has bit celios, please send me a website that you're having problems with, i'd like to try it out

(i didn't mean that my curiosity has bit celios, i meant that my curiosity has bit - maybe i should just start over this post again lol)

Old 02-11-2009, 10:08 PM

Fleksnes is on a distinguished road
I could scroll on some sites also before v20. I think it all depends on the design/markup