All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-10-2009, 09:18 PM

mightydob is on a distinguished road
New N82 owner

Hi all,

I just inherited a N82 for free and I must say first impressions are great, really like the camera

Waiting for a 8gig card to turn up in the post so I can start to play with Garmin and other apps, but in the mean time would appreciate any advice and must have apps I should look into.

The firmware currently installed is 10.0.046 and Nokia software update is indicating I can upgrade to 30.0.019, should I upgrade to this software is there any disadvantages to doing so. I must admit I have been burnt a bit by upgrading other electric devices (such as the Wii) only to find the upgrades blocked homebrew etc.

any advice would be appreciated, thanks for lookin

Old 26-11-2009, 11:28 AM

nudger is on a distinguished road
Upgrade your software - you're a couple of versions behind.

Not sure that it's that big a deal - I upgraded and possibly think the battery lasts longer and the phone's quicker but apart from that...

You will get a "Share Online" icon on your homescreen which you irritatingly can't remove. And the Search icon on the homescreen will be two lines.

The auto-rotation is supposed to be a bit faster too - but I haven't noticed that either.

Skyequikey is a fantastic app that works like T9Nav or whatever it's called. Nokia Messaging is working well for me too.

Enjoy it...
Ads

Old 07-12-2009, 02:24 AM

wabeCaphepelm is on a distinguished road
New N82 owner

Im suspicious that some companies are introducing lower-quality models specifically for Black Friday. The recent release by Samsung of LN40A500 may be a case in point. You can find ads for this new TV for 799.99 at 6thAve, Best Buy, and Sears. Strange that all the prices are the same.

Perhaps introducing lower quality models specifically for Black Friday sales is a response to our demand for deep discounts. The new models may well cut various corners to reduce the price and make it seem like a deal -- but they arent losing money on it. Meanwhile, the original, higher-quality product line and price scheme remains the same. Retailers arent as pressured by us to cut prices on current models if they have a cheap alternative for the Black Friday flier.

This "free market" just doesnt seem to be as free as it could. But at least I can vote with my pocketbook and the LN40A500 is NOT for me.

There are deals on some products, but its getting pretty tough to make sure what you buy on Black Friday isnt some poor knock-off of its brethren.