All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-10-2009, 12:09 PM

Lasikie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo940se View Post
OK new to all this as have always been a sonyericsson user, but have also done the product code change before on a N95 I had a couple of years ago. It seems from what I have read, that Nokia can tell if you have changed the product code, but I have already done this yesterday to see if the update was available but it was obviously pulled or other issues due to the load on Nokias servers. So now to my questions. As I have already changed the product codes, even though now it is back to the original 0585262 VF code, I can only assume I have now voided my warrenty. SO now changing it to the euro 1 0570817 euro 1 black code I know after checking that it is available to update now. So if I do the update how can I get my wap, mms, and so on settings back on my phone to be able to use them. Is there a settings wizard or something like there is on SE phones, to be able to download these items, as all I seem to be able to find is email setup. Has anyone had to take a phone in for repair after changing the product code and been charged as I find it hard to belive that changing the product code due to Nokia being soo slow to release the various versions of software would effect a hardware issue such as the camera lens issue or as some have had the slider issue. Yes if you change the product code and fry the software then you would expect to have to pay for the repair, but not for an issue that is hardware related and so well documented as well.
All the settings stayed the same for me, seemed as if the 3 settings where hard coded into the phone or taken from sim.

Old 29-10-2009, 12:13 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
All settings should not be affected,

However there is both a Settings Wizard and Phone setup on v20.

Old 29-10-2009, 12:25 PM

volvo940se is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone, so is it safe to go ahead and change the product code to euro 1 and get V20 or better to leave it until Nokia and voda find the time to get together and maybe think about bringing V20 out for us. Also what is this hard reset thing all about? seem to see everyone recomends doing a hard reset after the update, but what will I need to reinstal on the phone after this, what will be lost? I currently have 34 mb of free space on the C drive, what increase will I be likely to get after the update and hard reset if that is needed?

Cheers
Stephen

Old 29-10-2009, 12:28 PM

Lasikie is on a distinguished road
Hard reset will wipe everything from c:

You can either type in *#7370# and enter the password 12345 or hold down Back space, Space bar, Left shift and the power button untill you see the hands after the phone boots.

Old 29-10-2009, 12:36 PM

See here for the best way IMHO to update your phone (including hard reset code:-

http://mobile.allaboutsymbian.com/ne...20_and_a_n.php

I gained about 10-15MB on C: which allowed me to put a couple of themes/ringtones/widgets on there that I previously had on Mass Memory and which disappeared every time when I connected to PC Suite in Mass Storage.

Even with Ovi Maps 3.03 (7MB), Java Runtime (4MB) plus a couple of themes and 3 widgets (5MB), I still have 34MB free on C:.

Old 29-10-2009, 12:39 PM

So did you gain the extra 10mb after a hard reset or just by updating to V20?

Cheers
Stephen
Ads

Old 29-10-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
So did you gain the extra 10mb after a hard reset or just by updating to V20?

Cheers
Stephen
My C: drive was at just over 50MB after hard rest and then updating to v20.

Rather than just restoring everything from backup I chose the longer route described here:-

http://mobile.allaboutsymbian.com/ne...20_and_a_n.php

as bitter experience with updates of this magnitude on the N80, N95, have taught me that it's worth the extra effort and prevents a lot of the problems that posters here are getting.

Now have a very fast phone that loads prog's quickly, I've even ditched the Nokia PhotoBrowser beta as the built in Photo's is, IMHO, better and as quick on my phone.

Old 29-10-2009, 01:16 PM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks everyone, so is it safe to go ahead and change the product code to euro 1 and get V20 or better to leave it until Nokia and voda find the time to get together and maybe think about bringing V20 out for us. Also what is this hard reset thing all about? seem to see everyone recomends doing a hard reset after the update, but what will I need to reinstal on the phone after this, what will be lost? I currently have 34 mb of free space on the C drive, what increase will I be likely to get after the update and hard reset if that is needed?

Cheers
Stephen

Hi mate, i bricked an N86 the other day.
I changed the product code twice, BUT Pcsuite crashed as well.
I don't know which thing caused the brick or if it was the combination of both.

Please can you post back and let me know how you get on when you upgrade it....
Cheers

Just would like to know where i went wrong.

Old 29-10-2009, 01:24 PM

Backing up my phone now will then do the hard reset and then the update, and see how it goes. Will let you know what happens.

Cheers
Stephen

Old 29-10-2009, 11:06 PM

Lo-fi Genius is on a distinguished road
Evening all. I've just had an absolute breeze in de-branding and updating to V20 by following the instructions here:

http://www.n97fanatics.com/complete-...our-nokia-n97/

Highly recommended.

Old 30-10-2009, 06:47 AM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Backing up my phone now will then do the hard reset and then the update, and see how it goes. Will let you know what happens.

Cheers
Stephen
How did you get on?