All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-10-2009, 09:33 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Here's a spec comparison between the N97 and N97 mini:

http://s60blog.com/2009/09/nokia-n97...ions-pictures/

From looking at the specs, it seems the N97 Mini has lost video calling. Is this really true??

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 10-10-2009, 10:57 AM

londoner888 is on a distinguished road
You getting it on 3 or simfree?
Since you started the thread saying you wanted unbranded n97? If you're going simfree then I personally would go for the mini as that looks better imo (nice metallic casing )

I also prefer the mini keyboard without the joystick thingy... to this day I still haven't gotten used to the joystick on the left side, not sure why when I play the psp, ds etc but just feels wierd on the n97?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboat View Post
You don't think bringing out a newer model will cause another price drop?
As mentioned, priced has already dropped from 500 due to release of mini n97.
You may find other websites may drop further with the release of the Nokia N900.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 PM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by londoner888 View Post
You getting it on 3 or simfree?
Since you started the thread saying you wanted unbranded n97? If you're going simfree then I personally would go for the mini as that looks better imo (nice metallic casing )

I also prefer the mini keyboard without the joystick thingy... to this day I still haven't gotten used to the joystick on the left side, not sure why when I play the psp, ds etc but just feels wierd on the n97?!

As mentioned, priced has already dropped from 500 due to release of mini n97.
You may find other websites may drop further with the release of the Nokia N900.

I've just spotted an error in one of my previous posts. I meant to say the joystick was of NO concern to me.

I have uninstalled n-gage from my N95

As for getting it from three, they just offered it to me for 176 plus keeping my existing allowance for the same money, but signing onto another 18month contract. Although i actually want more minutes so might be able to haggle a bit.

So i'm weighing this up against staying out of contract and just have to give 30 days notice to leave, then debrand and possibly bricking it. (Although this does appear to be easier than when the phone was first released)

And paying out for a simfree one, which would allow me to please myself with regard to any future contract, and of course if i sign up with someone else, i can sell the phone they give me.

Had a chat with hubby and have decided.

1/ wait to see how the v2 update plays out.
2/see what 3uk want to offer when i'm totally out of contract.
3/possibly see how the N97 mini is recieved by all on these forums.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:46 AM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
the n97 mini will probably be built better and have better firmware

iam selling my n97 when i get a brand new replacement ive had an emotinal rollercoaster with it over 5 months and wouldnt recomend it to any future buyer

i would have to say buy the omnia hd or the n86 or wait for tyhe mini and see what reviews and user reports from that are like

the n97 though with its bad camera design and dodgy gps is a design blunder

ok they have released a new backplate with revised camera cover and a shielded gps reciever but its taken too long for me and too many replacement handsets so ive just bought the n86

Old 12-10-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
the n97 mini will probably be built better and have better firmware

iam selling my n97 when i get a brand new replacement ive had an emotinal rollercoaster with it over 5 months and wouldnt recomend it to any future buyer

i would have to say buy the omnia hd or the n86 or wait for tyhe mini and see what reviews and user reports from that are like

the n97 though with its bad camera design and dodgy gps is a design blunder

ok they have released a new backplate with revised camera cover and a shielded gps reciever but its taken too long for me and too many replacement handsets so ive just bought the n86

This just sounds like the Xbox 360 RRoD's why don't companies test and test again to get it right first time.
Very few of my mates have ever updated thier phone, let alone thought of plugging it in to the pc...so they actually use a phone as it was released, Nokia must understand this and release phones that work!
Ads

Old 15-10-2009, 09:08 PM

Gavin Watson is on a distinguished road
I am picking up a sim free N97 from Mobile Phones Direct tomorrow, i've heard that the sim free unlocked ones do not have as many problems as the ones with the networks own version?

Old 15-10-2009, 09:22 PM

greigster is on a distinguished road
Sim free N97 have the same problems as the network locked ones.
Its the worst phone I have ever had.
Purchased it late June sim free from Nokia UK and have been without it for the last 37 days back and forth for repairs.
Good luck with yours, you are going to need it!

Greigster

Old 15-10-2009, 09:28 PM

wow, i've just been reading this forum and its completely put me off! my old N95 has been spot on from new, never a problem, only changing it as the back cover is falling off and keep on getting 'out of memory' issues as im using it more for internet apps...

well, i get mine tomorrow and will be keeping the N95 for a while just in case, i'll not be putting up with any crap, thats for sure!

Old 16-10-2009, 08:07 AM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Watson View Post
wow, i've just been reading this forum and its completely put me off! my old N95 has been spot on from new, never a problem, only changing it as the back cover is falling off and keep on getting 'out of memory' issues as im using it more for internet apps...

well, i get mine tomorrow and will be keeping the N95 for a while just in case, i'll not be putting up with any crap, thats for sure!
to be fair, those of us who got the n97 on launch day have had the worst of it, now they have the modified lens cover and GPS is sorted.

Other than those things i've been very happy with my N97, it does require some 'tinkering', moving applications from C memory to mass etc and setting it up correctly, but once that is done i really enjoy using it.]

i think this forum is heavily skewed towards the negative, there are plenty of people out there who have a n97 and are perfectly happy with it, i know i will be one of them as soon as mine comes back with new lens cover and GPS sorted

keep an open mind and i suspect you'll love it, you're likely to get one that we should have got back in June

Let us know what you think!

Old 23-10-2009, 09:00 AM

well, i took the plunge.

500mins
unlimited internet
unlimited texts
free 3 to 3 call
24 month
and white N97 147

Pretty pleased with the deal, phone arriving on Tuesday, hopefully all the problems will be ironed out, and i will be as happy with this as i have been with my N95 for the last few years.

Old 23-10-2009, 04:53 PM

Well, I got my phone yesterday as promised (even through the postal strike), unlocked Black N97 on Vodafone...

So far a coupel of things, first one was not being able to unlock the phone, but this may be operator error, unlock as in the keyboard lock.

Second was an issue with the phone not connecting in PC Suite mode, which was fixed after seeing a workaround on another site which consists of manually deleted the drivers from Device Manager on the PC and letting it reinstall them again. The issues was that it would just continually ask which mode to connect in, other modes apaprt from PC Suite mode worked fine, and the fix solved it.

Overall, very impressed, have had it on since 7AM and still have full battery indicated and i've been using it heavily.

Bonus that I didnt know about is that it has an FM trnamitter, but seems extrememly low power as ive only maanged to get it owrking in the car once, other times it just wont pick it up at all...

So.... lets see how I get on!

Just to clarify, this is an unlocked version, which I have been told is much more stable than the network specific models... We shall see!!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Just point out, which has been mentioned on other threads, the N97 Mini does NOT come with FM Transmitter, like it's bigger brother.

I have N97, and have to say to FM T works brilliantly in my current car, really clear crisp reception, and use it all the time. It has well and truly replaced my iPod - consigned to gathering dust somewhere.
RM-530
E72-1