All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-10-2009, 04:10 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianDinning View Post
Yes it can *detect* up to 10 faces.
You should advertise this with the press. And by "press", I don't mean AAS: that's like preaching to the converted.
As I mentioned, LG in its press materials makes it a big deal of its phones being capable of multi-face detection. See for example this video for the Viewty Smart starting at 1:00. If your algorithm is better and can track up to 10 faces, you should shout it from the rooftops.

Last edited by rvirga; 01-10-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:20 PM

newtype is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianDinning View Post
Hand on heart, I can say that is absolutely not the case. There is a specific component of the NAM release which is not in the other releases which means it just takes a little longer. We are still on track for that late next week all being well.
Sounds good.

I hope you and your team know we appreciate the hard work you guys have put in, not to mention it means a lot that you are here answering questions regarding the device. I know of no other phone manufacturer who even remotely communicates in this fashion, or has software updates as visible as these across such a wide variety of devices.

Keep the goods coming-

Old 01-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Unregistered

product code

Allk you guys who jave done the update to v. 20.115 what is your product code??? please

Old 01-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Unregistered

settings

everytime i try to update it asks me for a username and password which i dont know.
im on t-mobile uk

Old 01-10-2009, 06:20 PM
HassanMumtaz

Still Zoom

Damian or Anyone else

Could you please answer my question?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-10-2009, 06:25 PM
HassanMumtaz

Still Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanMumtaz View Post
Given the excellent technique of zooming in video mode, does the n86 also use it for stills photos? e.g. if we set the picture resolution to 2MP and then zoom to take a still, then does it use the full sensor to avoid loss of detail?
Posting it again :-)

Old 02-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Unregistered

Great work done!!

Improvements in the camera section are worth noting.
However the icon of few java applications (e.g. orkut, opera mini 5 beta, etc.) are still blurred.
I hope they will be corrected in next firmware update.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Unregistered

Question digital zoom in video recording

Can anyone tell whether the real digital zoom in video recording is smooth in new firmware or it still comes in pieces.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:48 AM

donpipino is on a distinguished road
I have a question, I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but I'll try.

My Phonememory is almost full, I have about 15 MB free space, and the problem is that I have no idea what's taking up the space! I've checked both the phones file manager, and on a computer, but it both says that the folders are empty.

Any idea what I should do?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpipino View Post
I have a question, I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but I'll try.

My Phonememory is almost full, I have about 15 MB free space, and the problem is that I have no idea what's taking up the space! I've checked both the phones file manager, and on a computer, but it both says that the folders are empty.

Any idea what I should do?
Fire up your phone's Web Browser...

Then, choose "Options" > "Clear Privacy Data" then make sure you choose only "Cache" so as not to lose all your settings...

Then exit the browser when it it finished (give it time, as it might take a while).

Then go back into File Manager, and tell us what your C: disk is now reporting for free space.

If you are now seeing a hefty increase in room, it beggars the question yet again, why, oh why, oh why do Nokia make the stupid decision to ONLY be able to store the Browser Cache to the tiny, restricted C: drive, instead of the massive E: drive.

Go ask them about that though - I got nowhere with it...

Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamehr View Post
Fire up your phone's Web Browser...

Then, choose "Options" > "Clear Privacy Data" then make sure you choose only "Cache" so as not to lose all your settings...

Then exit the browser when it it finished (give it time, as it might take a while).

Then go back into File Manager, and tell us what your C: disk is now reporting for free space.

If you are now seeing a hefty increase in room, it beggars the question yet again, why, oh why, oh why do Nokia make the stupid decision to ONLY be able to store the Browser Cache to the tiny, restricted C: drive, instead of the massive E: drive.

Go ask them about that though - I got nowhere with it...
Now I have 22 MB free space, it is a difference, but it's still like 50 MB gone. I just don't know what to do, because when I check in file manager, every folder is empty, how can that be?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Now I have 22 MB free space, it is a difference, but it's still like 50 MB gone. I just don't know what to do, because when I check in file manager, every folder is empty, how can that be?
Because the C: Drive is ALSO being used for Ovi Map Updates, N-Gage Updates, System File Updates such as Nokia Conversation, if installed, and MMS/PC Suite Support, any Quick Office Updates, Nokia Messaging (Email Client) Updates, Nokia Messaging Cache, and loads more too.

And all installed in INVISIBLE, private folders the user can't even see.

Again, this is the OTHER issue I have raised and also got nowhere with...

That despite us ensuring we choose to install apps to the E: drive - when given a choice - that for many things, we don't even GET a choice where to install, and the limited C: memory gets used instead, and stupidly.

And again, if you don't like this (just like anyone else), I would urge you to pass this on to Nokia.

I have raised this before so that Damian Dinning can see it, but I think it looks like it is beyond even his remit, to have this fixed, as it seems to be a flaw in the OS itself with FP2, as so far, no device has received a FW Update that ever changes this behaviour - especially the Browser, Messaging Cache, Ovi Maps, and other system updates location.

I like the camera-phone aspects of my N86...

But if this is the way forward with FP2 devices - slower (this is the slowest Nokia of ANY sort I have ever owned - I could video many of the times I click, and have to wait four seconds or so before anything happens), buggier, RAM crippled, and C: limited, yet all updates and Caches going to C: only, then I am afraid that my 'next' Nokia will either be 'back' to my E71, or not a Nokia at all, and I will finally give Android a try.

As like my signature strip says, the N86, it's the biggest pile of crut I have ever owned from Nokia, for it's bugs, slowness, freezing, and issues.

The new v20 firmware MIGHT fix some of these things, and give a tiny improvement in free C: space until new updates come out again, but how would I know, because despite it being out for my model, it's only been released as FOTA for now, so I can't even install it using NSU.

Nokia just gets worse and worse.

Ads

Old 02-10-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamehr View Post
Because the C: Drive is ALSO being used for Ovi Map Updates, N-Gage Updates, System File Updates such as Nokia Conversation, if installed, and MMS/PC Suite Support, any Quick Office Updates, Nokia Messaging (Email Client) Updates, Nokia Messaging Cache, and loads more too.

And all installed in INVISIBLE, private folders the user can't even see.

Again, this is the OTHER issue I have raised and also got nowhere with...

That despite us ensuring we choose to install apps to the E: drive - when given a choice - that for many things, we don't even GET a choice where to install, and the limited C: memory gets used instead, and stupidly.

And again, if you don't like this (just like anyone else), I would urge you to pass this on to Nokia.

I have raised this before so that Damian Dinning can see it, but I think it looks like it is beyond even his remit, to have this fixed, as it seems to be a flaw in the OS itself with FP2, as so far, no device has received a FW Update that ever changes this behaviour - especially the Browser, Messaging Cache, Ovi Maps, and other system updates location.

I like the camera-phone aspects of my N86...

But if this is the way forward with FP2 devices - slower (this is the slowest Nokia of ANY sort I have ever owned - I could video many of the times I click, and have to wait four seconds or so before anything happens), buggier, RAM crippled, and C: limited, yet all updates and Caches going to C: only, then I am afraid that my 'next' Nokia will either be 'back' to my E71, or not a Nokia at all, and I will finally give Android a try.

As like my signature strip says, the N86, it's the biggest pile of crut I have ever owned from Nokia, for it's bugs, slowness, freezing, and issues.

The new v20 firmware MIGHT fix some of these things, and give a tiny improvement in free C: space until new updates come out again, but how would I know, because despite it being out for my model, it's only been released as FOTA for now, so I can't even install it using NSU.

Nokia just gets worse and worse.
Ah, I see, that's lame by Nokia, to use only C: for that kind of stuff..

This is my first Nokia (I've used SE before, you know, I'm Swedish ), so I don't have a reference on how slow/fast it could be.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see, that's lame by Nokia, to use only C: for that kind of stuff..

This is my first Nokia (I've used SE before, you know, I'm Swedish ), so I don't have a reference on how slow/fast it could be.
I concur entirely. (to "that's lame...").

But can I just ask - have you managed to update to FW v20 yet...?

As it MIGHT help at least a few issues. And it is meant to improve the free space of C: even a little bit.

Still, this is just a fudge, as it's not really fixing the OVERALL underlying problem itself.

But it might help you for now, once it becomes available (as like I mentioned above in my frustrations, it's Over The Air only, until next week, when it can be done through Nokia Software Updater and PC Suite).

Old 02-10-2009, 12:37 PM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
This particular image, made with proto version ahead of MWC 2009 has been haunting many of us from the day it was published. I know a lot of people who made some great shots daytime/night but nothing comes even close to this shot (assuming the image hasn't been digitally altered):
http://mobilenet.cz/aktuality/img/c512/03012009173.jpg

So rumors start, that this was done with some high quality proto lens which never got into production. Even though I refuse to believe that, I wonder how come we can't make such great photos. I also wonder if they have used some stand to avoid shakes?

Another issue with N86: how can I connect N86 with my laptop via BT? After pairing it asks me for some files to install which I don't seem to have (Found new hardware screen). I have downloaded from Nokia site N86 BT.inf file, but it doesn't work (does not support this method of installation error message). Did anyone managed to connect N86 with computer via BT, and how? I never had any issues connecting my 6500s.

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited by miki69; 02-10-2009 at 01:32 PM.