All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Unregistered

LOL, when Apple finally add a camera flash and multi-tasking then that will be the latest thing too.

Does anyone know if V2 firmware will allow all the kinetic scrolling and stuff to be switched off for those of use who prefer to work without it? Currently you can disable transition effects in themes, I'm keeping my fingers cross that it will be the same for the kinetic scrolling. I look forward to the stability of the new firmware, not so keen on the tarty stuff.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Unregistered

Apple have to be applauded though. They hype their devices up so much and thanks to the ipod and mac's success, the 1st generation iphone (which was awful) managed to shift bucketloads.

Well prepared operating systems using dated technology means Apple makes a bundle. The 1st ipod was hardly innovative. And when are they going to start using removable batteries?

Old 07-09-2009, 12:16 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Well, that didn't take long. I mean, how can an announcement about new N97 FW provoke such a heated Apple v Nokia debate (for the umpeenth time)??

Old 07-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
Well, that didn't take long. I mean, how can an announcement about new N97 FW provoke such a heated Apple v Nokia debate (for the umpeenth time)??
The first follow up to the article was a hypocritical dig at Nokia, hardly surprising when apparently content Apple-lovers feel the need to post in Symbian websites (and any other vaguely technology related website).

It's interesting how Apple as a company attract people who feel the need to tell everybody else that their way is the only way. Perhaps a pychologist could take a look at them.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:07 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
It's good to see the improvements and good we have an approximate release date. Improving the 'fluidity' of the N97 experience certainly seems to be a goal for the v2x firmware and I for one am happy about that.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:14 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's interesting how Apple as a company attract people who feel the need to tell everybody else that their way is the only way. Perhaps a pychologist could take a look at them.
Fair point. I just wish people could be grown up enough to acknowledge that all (or both, in this case) platforms have their merits as well their downsides. Unfortunately, many posters seem to view these threads as some sort of p*ssing contest, which becomes a tad tedious after a while....

Anyway, I hope the N97 update process is an improvement on the E90 update, which I had to give up on after 20 failed attempts...

Old 07-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Unregistered

"It's interesting how Apple as a company attract people who feel the need to tell everybody else that their way is the only way. Perhaps a pychologist could take a look at them."

What to say then about the iphone-haters that populate every blog that writes about the iphone, most of the times quoting Nokia has an example?

Nokia fanboys are getting every bit has annoying has the worse apple fanboys

Old 07-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What to say then about the iphone-haters that populate every blog that writes about the iphone, most of the times quoting Nokia has an example?

Nokia fanboys are getting every bit has annoying has the worse apple fanboys
Dunno, don't read iPhone forums/blogs. Don't wan't an iPhone, therefore not interested in talking about them.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Unregistered

thats nice

Well, thats nice.
How about fixing all the bugs too? Seriously, how did they manage to make a phone that locks up when disconnecting a call. Or at random times.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Unregistered

Still no letters on dialler still in v20 then...

I notice in the first 10 seconds of the video where the user is bringing up the software version screen that the dialler is still missing the letters on the keypad.

While I can understand Nokia's reason for leaving them off, some banks and other utility companies use passwords (yes, I said passwords) that must be typed in using the dialler. It is difficult unless you are used to typing in the digits or are looking at another person's phone to remember what letters are on which number on the keypad.

Why has Nokia left the letters off on the touch screen phones' dialler?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Unregistered

you only see the letters in the touch keypad when you are in 'typing mode'
what you see in the movie is just the dailer and there are no real phone numbers with leters in them.
try to input somthing in a webpage with the touchpad and you will see letters

Old 08-09-2009, 02:38 AM

So7t is on a distinguished road
I hope they improve contact view options !!! "NAME and NUMBER "option is a must have!!! For god sake...

Old 08-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Unregistered

So right, I missed a proper copy/paste function at my N97 quite a few times already. Can't even copy a link from fring to a browser to open it... And now the iPhone can copy/paste about everything...

Old 08-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you only see the letters in the touch keypad when you are in 'typing mode'
what you see in the movie is just the dailer and there are no real phone numbers with leters in them.
That's exactly the problem. When I call my cellphone provider (Orange) they ask me, for example to enter the first and third letter of my password. Suppose my password was "nokia" to answer that I'd have to enter 65 on the dialler.

However in order to give you that example I had to look at the keypad of another phone to realise that the letter N is on the 6 key and K is on the 5 key. I have the same problem when doing this for real because Nokia do not display the letters when I bring up the dialler in the middle of making a call.

Old 13-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Unregistered

I agree about the letters. I'm with Orange too and it takes me a while to think of my password because there's nothing to remind you what character relates to what number.
Ads