All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 PM

Artz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have no problem with it. Do you have dexterity problems?

The 5800 was less than half the price of the N97 when it first came out, under 200 in the UK. It was and still is a cheap, budget , entry level phone.
I do not have problems with it. I use it because there is no other alternative.
Let us wait and see.
Also, I can do Flip a coin through your fingers trick

Old 02-09-2009, 12:48 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
'Mini' dimensions: 113 x 52.5 x 14.2mm (16.4mm at camera area) / Weight: 138g
N97 'Maxi' dimensions: 117.2 x 55.3 x 15.9 mm (18.25mm at camera area) / Weight: 150g

Sooo, to be exact, the Mini is 5.2mm shorter (that's a d-pad), 2.8mm less wide, and 1.7mm less thick. Oh, and a massive 12g lighter.

Surpised they didn't call it the N97 micro it's so tiny!

Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post
N97 'Maxi' dimensions: 117.2 x 55.3 x 15.9 mm (18.25mm at camera area) / Weight: 150g

Sooo, to be exact, the Mini is 5.2mm shorter (that's a d-pad), 2.8mm less wide, and 1.7mm less thick. Oh, and a massive 12g lighter.

when does n97 mini come out in UK??

Old 02-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Unregistered

Nokia is trying to polish a turd.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artz View Post
I'm talking about software problems.
No, you are talking about software enhancements. Neither problems mentioned by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artz
Something you didn't get when you bought the phone in the first place.
Quite unusual for Nokia. Treat it as rare exception. Normally, they only fix bugs.
Nobody can prevent them to compile recent S60v3 FP2 firmware for all hardware-compatible phones. Whey will not do it, of course.

Quote:
One more example is many Android phones or if you will 3 iterations of iPhone OS.
Once again: Nokia is not going to improve functionality of released phones. It was for years and nothing changed. Do not compare it with Android community and Apple-world.

Quote:
Also the phone we are talking about, 5800 also received couple of software updates that brought bug fixes and yes, new features. That is why we have firmware updates in the first place.
We have it because of ... bugs. And only! Rest things are optional. I don't know why Maps 3 included. I suspect there are more chargeable services ;-)

Quote:
That way of scrolling is totally imprecise and clunky. It is badly done and it is the left over from the previous generation, the 3rd edition OS.
No.. We used it 10 (TEN) years ago for Psion PDAs. Do you belive or not: nobody hurt. It is very normal to use touch - scroll bars with nail.

Quote:
Don't tell me that 5800 is a cheap phone because it wasn't when it first came out.
I'm sorry, but 5800 was _really_ cheap phone since release. Business level start at 800 EUR now.
I think it was released before N97 and E100 (I still hope for E90 successor) for S60v5 startup & fine-tuning at entry level, for non-pro users.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post

You were wrong, celios. Be a man and let it go.

If you hate Symbian and love Apple that's your prerogative only you might want to change the record now and again or at least get your facts right.
Ads

Old 02-09-2009, 06:21 PM

garbleart is on a distinguished road
Official UK price from Nokia on pre-order is 429 which is waaaay to expensive for me, but I'd be interested to see what the price translates to when it gets to general retailers, certainly less than 400.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
You were wrong, celios. Be a man and let it go.

If you hate Symbian and love Apple that's your prerogative only you might want to change the record now and again or at least get your facts right.
You're right. Maybe the 'N97 Nano' would be a better name for such a small phone. Comparitively the the N97 is 'a brick'...

I don't hate Symbian. I like Symbian. I even liked S60 up until the 5th Edition and I would probably like that, if they ever manage to get it to work properly. If there is anyone I hate, it's Nokia, for foisting unfinished devices on us and then pretending there are no problems.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:50 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I doubt that kinetic will come to the 5800, it's not a premium phone, it's a low cost cheap phone, Nokia will probably keep the kinetic as a selling point for the more expensive phones. You get what you pay for. The 5800 firmware is pretty well finished and V30 is a big improvement in responsiveness to the touch interface, it's a lot of features for such a cheap phone, there isn't any real competition in the same price range. After all kinetic and flick are nice things, but not really essentials. It's a toy thing to play with.
This makes no sense at all. Every cheap touch screen phone nokia has released has kinetic scrolling and an enhanced homescreen. The 5230 and 5530 both are way cheaper, even 150 brand new, yet has kinetic scrolling. And all use the same cpu and ram. There's no reason why nokia should hold back the 5800. Even from a marketing stand point, the 5230 is a downgrade from the 5800, some missing wifi, gps or even 3g. So there is no way nokia can expect 5800 owners to buy a new phone just to get kinetic scrolling because those new phones are simply not in the same league as the 5800! So they are not affecting new phone sales by giving 5800 owners the new update!

If fact all 5 new touch screen phones from nokia have kinetic scrolling EXCEPT the 5800! It is sold the most number of units by far, maybe 8million, yet its the only model without the kinetic and homescreen goodies! How can this be? How does it make sense? With so many 5800 users there is no way nokia can be expecting them all to just run out and buy a new phone, which would be a downgrade in every case, just to have kinetic scrolling. It makes no sense from a technical standpoint, makes no sense from a market standpoint, and makes no sense from a financial standpoint. Nokia please just bring the 5800 up to speed with the rest of your phones!

And remember they are releasing the 5800 navigation version. So this model phone has much life left in it if they are still coming out with this new variant. In fact if nokia may very well be forced to update the 5800 simply because every other cheap touch screen phone they sell has kinetic! Who would pick the 5800 over the others with this deficiency...

Old 03-09-2009, 02:21 AM
yitwave

N97 mini IS smaller

N97 size: 117.2 55.3 15.9* mm (*18.25 mm at camera area)= 103,050 or *118,281
N97 mini size: 113 x 52.5 x 14.2* mm (*16.4mm at camera area) = 84,242 or *97,293
Volume difference: 23% or *22%

N97 weight: 150g
N97 mini weight: 138 g
Weight difference: 8.6%

If anything is 1/4 smaller, i'd say it IS smaller. It's like saying that the 3.5" display is the same size as a 2.8"...

Old 03-09-2009, 07:33 AM

Artz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, you are talking about software enhancements. Neither problems mentioned by you.
I guess you do not own N73 or 5800. You will know then that those phones received many bug fixes, software enhancements and new features through firmware updates. Also I guess similar thing happened to other Nokia phones but I will not speculate anything as I don't own them.

Quote:
Quite unusual for Nokia. Treat it as rare exception. Normally, they only fix bugs.
Nobody can prevent them to compile recent S60v3 FP2 firmware for all hardware-compatible phones. Whey will not do it, of course.
I specifically sad at one of my posts that I do not want software features from N97 or some future service pack. I just want them to fix it. Putting new feature pack in an old phone would be a shoot in the leg, I do not expect Nokia to do that ever. New software feature is a nice bonus with a new firmware update and many manufacturers do it to keep customers happy so their next product will be likely from the same brand.

Quote:
Once again: Nokia is not going to improve functionality of released phones. It was for years and nothing changed. Do not compare it with Android community and Apple-world.
It was just an example. And why not compare it. Apple with iPhone and Google with Android are Nokia's biggest competitors. It is only natural.

Quote:
We have it because of ... bugs. And only! Rest things are optional. I don't know why Maps 3 included. I suspect there are more chargeable services ;-)
Maps is a good example of new software features Nokia give old phones. User can buy a license for navigation from Nokia using 2.0 or 3.0, the price is the same. But with 3.0 you get many new features and not to mention the speed of the software. This is just another example of keeping Nokia customers happy because many of them weren't satisfied with the previous offer.

Quote:
No.. We used it 10 (TEN) years ago for Psion PDAs. Do you belive or not: nobody hurt. It is very normal to use touch - scroll bars with nail.
Of course nobody's hurt. But user interfaces evolve so Nokia should evolve if they want to keep up. Not having something like that in 10 years old Psion was more a matter of hardware then software in those times I guess.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but 5800 was _really_ cheap phone since release. Business level start at 800 EUR now.
I think it was released before N97 and E100 (I still hope for E90 successor) for S60v5 startup & fine-tuning at entry level, for non-pro users.
OK. You were right there. Nokia 5800 is an affordable phone and that is the main reason why they sell so much of them. It has really impressive hardware for the price. But we are talking about software here and that is what we want improved.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Unregistered

ok ok.... but what is that music in the first video?... sounds nice.