All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-08-2009, 10:08 AM

longtalker is on a distinguished road
Maps goes online even though it's set not to

I noticed that whenever I open Maps, a data transfer occurs, which can be seen from the 3G icon turning into the 3.5G icon with the arrows underneath, as well as from the "Mobile Internet" Log entry created afterwards.

Why this is strange is because I have set Maps to never go online, AND I have unchecked the A-GPS method of positioning from Settings|Positioning|Positioning methods. I would have thought, therefore, that Maps will not go online when it starts - which it does. This is particularly inconvenient because I am currently abroad (i.e. mobile data transfers are expensive) and using the GPS quite often; the data transfers have summed up to a few hundred KB already, and I'd rather they did not continue this way. Can anyone help?

Old 01-09-2009, 12:37 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile A-gps

In my case it is the A-Gps , takes about 4kB , to get a quick fix . When I set the profile to Offline , the phone doesn't use the 3,5 G and then it takes more time to get a right fix .

Regards jApi NL

Old 01-09-2009, 12:56 PM

tramfan is on a distinguished road
I have maps set up to always ask before going online. From the main map screen press options (LH soft key) > tools > settings > Internet > Go online at start-up. Set this to "Always ask". Whenever I open maps the phone asks "Go online now?", if No is selected the phone does not go online and no data transfer occurs.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 PM

Smile (A) GPS disabled

@ tramfan . Following your instructions , checking the Log , before and after opening Maps , I still find 3-4 kB of data used . This is the A-Gps I'm sure .
Only found two ways of NO data used :
1) set profile to Offline
2) just before closing Maps , go to Options > Instruments > Disable GPS . Next time opening Maps , A-GPS will not be used . A fraction of time later the the normal GPS comes in automatically .
So before closing Maps , I have to go back to "Disable GPS" again , in case I don't want to use A-GPS next time .
What about yours ?

Regards jApi NL
Ads

Old 01-09-2009, 04:56 PM

tramfan is on a distinguished road
On mine the A-GPS does not appear to be what causes data to be used, it is the network based positioning setting.
Go to Applications > GPS Data > options (LH soft key). Ignore the two messages the phone gives you. Highlight, but do not select "Position" and press Option (LH soft key). Select Positioning Settings > Postitioning Methods. Make sure that Network based is disabled. On my phone as long as Network based positioning method is not enabled it does not matter what the other settings are, when maps is launched there is no data transfer. If Network based positioning is enabled, then yes a small amount of data is sent.
This works with Orange, and the phone holds my settings even when switched off and back on again.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:47 AM

Smile GPS Data Settings

That's right ! Thanks very much . I overlooked the GPS data settings . Disable Assisted GPS . This is the "no data used" setting !

Regards jApi NL

Old 02-09-2009, 06:37 PM

longtalker is on a distinguished road
All clear now too, thanks for both your inputs

Old 08-09-2009, 04:52 PM

Liam548 is on a distinguished road
surely if Assisted GPS is off and you click no when it asks if you want to go online that should be it. You shouldnt need to go to offline mode!