All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 29-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quickoffice gains full editing facilities on the Nokia 5800 and N97

Quickoffice has now soft-launched Quickoffice v6.2 Premier (i.e. the editing version) for the Nokia S60 5th Edition phones. The company say "This is an interim release for touch devices only due to significant demand and requests from our end users for editing support ASAP. Watch this space for full v6.2 feature details and developments/launches for other phones happening soon". Soon, from the little birdie that twittered in my ear, might be very soon, in fact. In the meantime, N97 and 5800 owners should find that v6.2 Premier is now available as a paid upgrade on their device in Quickoffice's 'Updates & upgrades' (Quickmanager) section. See below for screenshots and brief comments.

Read on in the full article.

Old 29-07-2009, 04:56 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
i hate to tell you, but the 5800's download folder is EMPTY. there is no applications folder, there is no ANYTHING. it has been empty ever since the ovi store opened. so please tell me, how can i get a zip manager, and a PDF viewer?

Old 29-07-2009, 05:19 PM

mcpezza is on a distinguished road
When I paid for this not six months ago to use on my N95 8Gb some files automatically installed on the "C" drive and slowed the device down. I'm not that keen to reduce the space on my N97. Does unlocking the 5th ed version install on the "C" drive also or will I get the option to save to "E"?

Old 29-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
i hate to tell you, but the 5800's download folder is EMPTY. there is no applications folder, there is no ANYTHING. it has been empty ever since the ovi store opened. so please tell me, how can i get a zip manager, and a PDF viewer?
Ah OK, sounds like there are regional differences as to what is in Download!

As per Quickoffice's FAQs:
You may get Quickoffice for your Nokia 5800 XpressMusic from the Download! application in the main menu of your device or from this link:
http://www.quickoffice.com/download/....368_S6050.sis

See: http://support.quickoffice.com/index...barticleid=303

So download this version, then go into Quickmanager etc etc.

I haven't checked but the downloads may also be on the Nokia support websites.

Old 29-07-2009, 05:36 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
You say the company told you "This is an interim release for touch devices only..."

Does this mean that this version isn't all that good and there's gonna be another version soon that has much better support? If that's the case, I might wait for that one instead. I bought it for my N95 once and a week later they released a brand new version that supported Office 07 files. I had to fight tooth and nail to get them to upgrade me for free.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 29-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Founder / Chief

The update will be installed to the C: drive. My understanding is that this is a technical limitation when upgrading ROM applications (you'll note the same behaviour on some Nokia applications too - e.g. Nokia Maps). Unfrotunate, but hopefully this is something that Nokia / Symbian Foundation can fix for future platform releases.

zxon - I think you can read that to mean that there will be improvements in the UI. And err. watch this space.

Old 29-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Also available for the Samsung i8910 HD / Omnia HD

Old 29-07-2009, 08:08 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
Ah OK, sounds like there are regional differences as to what is in Download!

As per Quickoffice's FAQs:
You may get Quickoffice for your Nokia 5800 XpressMusic from the Download! application in the main menu of your device or from this link:
http://www.quickoffice.com/download/....368_S6050.sis

See: http://support.quickoffice.com/index...barticleid=303

So download this version, then go into Quickmanager etc etc.

I haven't checked but the downloads may also be on the Nokia support websites.
yes there are probably regional differences. but i am going mad because i have lost my free zip manager from a firmware update. and once ovi store opened nokia emptied out the download folder. PRIOR to ovi store this was available via download. so why would nokia not plan ahead and have the foresight to make zip available via ovi store? its nowhere to be found. and i swear to god not a day goes by where i don't attempt to download something and turns out that it is a zip file. its truly maddening because i cannot find PDF or ZIP app ANYWHERE for my 5800 NAM.

Old 29-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Founder / Chief

You might want to try refreshing the Download! catalog when there's no SIM in the phone. The contents of Download! are tied to the SIM card, but it should work without a SIM in it. I've tired it on mine though and it doesn't have the content your missing, a NAM variant might be different.

Old 29-07-2009, 09:28 PM
nikow

how to try!?

hi all,

i tried to download, i saw the update but how to try it?? i mean, if i want upgrade (just to try) i have to pay?? we cant try it?

Old 29-07-2009, 11:15 PM

phazlehurst is on a distinguished road
PPTX 2007 Files Work?

Guys, can anyone confirm that it actually opens PPTX files? I got "adjusted" last time I downloaded and paid for a version that said O2K7 support, but couldn't do PowerPoint which is pretty much the only file format that is actually different in O2K7.

tx

P

Old 29-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Unregistered

I don't know if 6.2 have pptx but 6.0 doesn't list it. And kinda mad too that as expensive as the N97 is, office file editing is a further pay feature.

Windows Mobile of course gets that for free.

Actually the N97 don't even get Acrobat Reader free now.

Old 30-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Founder / Chief

PPTX support has been added in this new version (6.2). It was not present in 6.0. I should dd I;ve not tested this myself (not regularly using the 2007 formats).

Old 30-07-2009, 07:46 AM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Why is Quickoffice (and software in general) so expensive on Symbian, Quickoffice on the iPhone is £7.49 and £23 on S60 V5

ok so the iPhone version doesn't have Powerpoint support but it does include PDF support something you have to pay extra for on Symbian.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Last edited by Ratkat; 30-07-2009 at 07:49 AM.

Old 30-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Unregistered

Is this the only decent v5 text editor?

Is Quick Office the only way of getting a decent text editor for v5? It does seem an awful lot of money if you never use excel or ppt. Are there lower spec alternatives out there (that nonetheless have more features than notes)?

BOC