All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 30-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmaxwaterma View Post
Steve,

You probably know this already, but it isn't apparent in your article...

I think you'll find that the flash doesn't have anything much to do with the ability to freeze motion - that would be shutter speed.

A brighter flash just allows the shutter to be open for a shorter time, but so does a larger aperture (more light at the cost of depth-of-field) and higher ISO (sensor is more sensitive, but more grainy too).

I can't help but wonder if some of these other things are effecting your shots. Without manual settings, it's difficult to tell.

Max.
It's the duration the flash fires for that freezes the subject in the case of flash photography.

Without flash, yes you are correct though.

In the case of LED flash it is on for the entire duration the sensor is exposed to the scene/subject. With xenon flash, depending on the ambient lighting level, most of the illumination is from the flash. In many cases this is 95% +. As the burst of light from xenon is as short as 1/25,000 - 1/50,000 second it is this that causes the object to appear frozen, even though the shutter is open for typically around 1/30th second in the case of the N82. br

Old 30-06-2009, 01:56 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's the duration the flash fires for that freezes the subject in the case of flash photography.

Without flash, yes you are correct though.

In the case of LED flash it is on for the entire duration the sensor is exposed to the scene/subject. With xenon flash, depending on the ambient lighting level, most of the illumination is from the flash. In many cases this is 95% +. As the burst of light from xenon is as short as 1/25,000 - 1/50,000 second it is this that causes the object to appear frozen, even though the shutter is open for typically around 1/30th second in the case of the N82. br
Ah, ok. I guess I was wrong then. Sorry Steve...

It makes me think that this is a limitation of xenon...it won't let you have any motion blur, while with LED, you can have motion blur with the shutter open a long time, or freeze it by having the shutter open for a short time.

Is there something wrong with my understanding?

Old 30-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmaxwaterma View Post
Ah, ok. I guess I was wrong then. Sorry Steve...

It makes me think that this is a limitation of xenon...it won't let you have any motion blur, while with LED, you can have motion blur with the shutter open a long time, or freeze it by having the shutter open for a short time.

Is there something wrong with my understanding?
With xenon flash the shutter speed influences the effect ambient light will have on the exposure. e.g. fast shutter speed = little, if any, visual appearance of ambient light in the final result. Action would be frozen for sure. slow shutter speed action can still be frozen. HOWEVER, if ambient light level is reasonable and shutter speed is slow enough then you will get combination of sharp subject AND blurred subject. Can be quite creative if used right, but for shots of people etc not normally considered flattering.

With LED flash, it's effectively like shooting without flash. Think of LED flash as turning on a very bright light for the entire duration of the exposure. Therefore the shutter speed will influence the exposure or in other words, the range of the flash. If you use slower shutter speeds, yes the subject will be blurred. Faster shutter speeds most likely render the subject clear (depending on speed). However, when you are most likely to be using flash, the light levels will be low anyway. So will shutter speeds and therefore there is a risk of subject blur. In many cases the new Automatic Motion Blur Reduction will compensate for subject/camera movement.

Hope that clarifies things.

atb

Old 30-06-2009, 04:39 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hope that clarifies things.
Yes, thanks.

Max.

Old 30-06-2009, 07:25 PM
DingDong2

My advice is to go and read some other reviews. Any review can be made to favor a particular product or brand, They can take 100's of shots and only pick out the ones which makes the N86 look good. I don't understand why there is so few photos taken in the dark. Xenon flash makes a HUGE difference because there will be many occasions light condition is far from ideal, indoors, night etc.

Take a look at the comparison between the n86 and i8510.
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-n86-en.shtml
Have a look at the phone booth with text + IE logo. The n86 takes so much less detail you can't even read the text whereas the i8510 is superior. There are tons of other examples where the n86 is inferior. The n86 made the sky look purple...

Just don't believe all the crap that is sometimes churned out about having wide angle lens and different focal length etc. Some try to make out this is superior to anything before. If an old Samsung i8510 can produce better photos...

Just don't believe all the hype and excuses made for Nokia. Nokia has done so little to their phones since the N95, only rehashes.

For people interested the OmniaHD is getting update to fix the poor audio quality during video recording fixed. They will use AAC instead of AMR.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Unregistered

Angry why nokia why?!

why does nokia not come up with a 12mp xenon, 3.5inch touch, amoled, stereo loud, super nseries phone........ are they incapable......hell no........but why?

coz if they did then everyone would want one and the various other models which have contracts and also unlocked will go out of sales........

this explains why the n82 has xenon and the n95 a larger screen and the n85 oled and the n86 amoled........

come on nokia you got wat it takes to beat them all

Old 19-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Unregistered

n86 pics

It is not right to compare n86 or n97 pics to n82 for example.
n86 and n97 both have their first released firmwares so they will perform better with the later firmware updates.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Unregistered

Still Zoom

Give the excellent technique of zooming in video mode, does the n86 also use it for stills photos? e.g. if we set the picture resolution to 2MP and then zoom to take a still, then does it use the full sensor to avoid loss of detail?
Ads

Old 06-09-2009, 07:46 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Give the excellent technique of zooming in video mode, does the n86 also use it for stills photos? e.g. if we set the picture resolution to 2MP and then zoom to take a still, then does it use the full sensor to avoid loss of detail?
Good Point! I think about the same several times, but I donīt find the answer...

Old 16-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Unregistered

Does anyone know the answer to this?