All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 20-06-2009, 01:40 AM

SpeTz is on a distinguished road
Ill be getting mine soon, returned the N85 for the better build quality, 8mp, better keypad. To Rafe please show us the digital compass, that might come in handy when using the gps while walking.

Old 20-06-2009, 04:26 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
Attahched is something to keep you going - question is - which one is the N86!
i would say its the one at the bottom right corner. This is on the assumption that all of these were clicked from the same distance. This picture looks like its the result of the wide angle lens.. :-)

Old 20-06-2009, 11:22 AM

JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
The flash

I think it's quite obvious that the dual LED will be inferior to Xenon. Sometimes it's nice to be able to take a photo in a darkened pub.
Ads

Old 20-06-2009, 11:26 AM

robertdh is on a distinguished road
having had a play with the N86 i can honestly say that
if you are an N82 user looking for an upgrade and a
camera is important, then the N86 is the correct choice.
Even with dual LED's rather than xenon the results were
impressively surprizng....
i personally think nokia has outdone themselves here and
hopefully AAS will not only compare the N86 to the N82, but also
to a standalone camera........

Last edited by slitchfield; 20-06-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo!?

Old 20-06-2009, 11:49 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Is that glass screen able to withstand scratches? Or will this phone require a scratchguard as well?

Old 20-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Unregistered

Small correction

Hi Rafe, hope you don't mind me pointing out a small error in your otherwise thorough [pt1] review.

The material which surrounds the glass display is in fact metal, not plastic. This metal bezel is then joined to a metal plate which the glass is bonded to. The glass and the metal in this area are the main contributors to the weight increase, in addition to the metal sliding mechanism (N85 slide mechanism is also metal)

atb

Old 20-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
Is that glass screen able to withstand scratches? Or will this phone require a scratchguard as well?
It is hardened glass so is resistant to scratches but not scratch proof.

Old 20-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
Has it got anything like the N95's video editor?
It's not the same as N95 video editor but will allow you to merge videos, add music, trim and add text. Each one is a separate step.

Old 20-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by argh View Post
Slow? Maybe compared to a "real" camera. Comparing it to the HTC auto-focus devices, it's like lightning!
Camera activation is improved a little. Time to see the shot after capture is almost instant, focus time is improved and time between shots is around twice as fast as before. In use it feels more like a real camera than ever before, in many aspects it's now as fast as some but not as fast as the fastest.

Old 20-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for the review

I would like to ask about the camera key

I found that my n85 camera key is hard to push

Today I tried n97 camery key; it is a lot easier to push and I really like it

Will the camera key of n86 be like n97 ?

Thanks
It's much improved over N85. It's different to N97 so hard to say if it's better or worse than N97 as it's probably subjective and will also depend on the size of you finger.

Old 20-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

Image quality tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by maartenmk View Post
The pictures, while sharp, seem to suffer from too much smoothing, giving them a watercolor effect.
The oversharpening seems to be a bit less of a problem than with the N82, but at least that can be overcome by setting the sharpness to 'soft', and applying your own unsharp mask.
For a given size of camera system, including the most expensive imaging systems (e.g. size of sensor/pixels and optics) there is always a compromise somewhere. As you improve one aspect you potentially weaken another. In the case of N86 8MP based on huge amount of research we priortised the image quality on the aspects and viewing enviornment to be relevant to the vast majority of people who could be considered a potential purchaser of the N86 8MP. This resulted in priortisation of colour reproduction which is punchy but still retains a very natural look. Some products over saturate the colour whilst others look lifeless. As you increase the amount of colour tuning the noise in the image also increases. This results in the need to increase noise reduction.

In the tuning phase we captured and analysed well in excess of 15,000 pictures and videos in various conditions and of many different subjects. When we made the ultimate decision as to which combination of image paramaters we were going to use in the final SW we concluded that based on the way most people view their pictures and videos that the settings we chose gave the best balance. Whilst it can never be considered perfect and for all people I am very happy with the balance we struck in the end and feel sure that when viewed in normal conditions most of you will also be delighted. Of course I'll expect you to tell me otherwise if you feel that way

Old 20-06-2009, 04:11 PM

JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
The only thing putting me off from upgrading is the dual LED flash vs Xenon thing, but then again I still have my N95 and fully appreciate the way the it balances all of it's main features into one very good little package. I think I'll be buying this, but is it worth me shelling out up to 400 or shall i wait a few months for my contract to finish? Being tied to a contract vs the resellability (?) factor is what i'm mulling over now. There's an ebay seller who has the N86 for just under 350, and he's a well respected member.

This phone certainly looks like what the N96 SHOULD have been, and could be the one to finally make me give up my N95 classic.

How soon until we see some low light photos

Old 20-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Unregistered

my N86 crashes all the time

I hope my unit is broken for some reason.
and I say that I hope that, otherwise this phone is crap.
my unit crashes all the time when I fill fields of different applications with words beginning with "v", "t", or "u".
when It happens, I need to pull the battery off the phone.
dramatic.
have a nice day!

Old 20-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Unregistered

Ive had this phone a few hours now. So far, I think it is absolutely brilliant.

The build quality is awesome. It feels and looks great. The screen is phenomenal.

FP2 running on this phone is fast. No slow downs yet, though I havent installed many apps or media yet.

Speakers still arent as good as N95 8gb was, but theyre pretty good. Good enough.

Took a few shots in very low light and they came out awesome. Even video works well in low light. There is a video editor which is sweet because, it allows you to cut a video down before sending it or uploading it to the web (saves you money).

Nokia is going to have to come out with a really kick ass touchscreen phone for me to upgrade from this combined with my ipod touch and Walking Hotspot.

Ive had the N95 8gb and. This phone blows them both away.

Old 20-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Unregistered

....... I forgot to mention the keypad. The separated keys makes it way better to type with. Kickstand is a brilliant feature. Love the Internet Radio app and this sucker flies using Opera mini even though the Nokia browser is plenty good enough.

Search function. Love it. Email notification on home screen. Love it. Screen saver is cool with a big digital clock. Left bottom key pulsates white when you missed a call, mail or message. Great !

Only problem is I use a Mac so have to wait for Nokia Media app to support it and an isync plug in to sync calendar and contacts.

In the meantime used Windows and Nokia's app. Transferred contacts, calendar and bookmarks from an N85 backup and was flawless. Nice.