All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
'Comes with Music' in the Real World

Ewan Spence trials the official Orange Nokia 5800 'Comes with Music' package - how well does CwM work, what exactly is included and what are the gotchas? From missing tracks to catalogue inconsistencies to DRM frustrations, it's clear that CwM has a long way to go, but Ewan still reckons that Nokia deserve credit for getting this far and that the mass market will enjoy the experience.

Read on in the full article.

Old 16-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Unregistered

Cwm

I like the concept of CWM, and it's great to see someone pushing new ground in this area, although I don't think it is for me due to the restrictions - I don't want to keep the same phone for 2 years, and be restricted to only a few options.

However, I do think it offers great value for money, and it should be compared more with something like Spotify rather than buying the tracks from iTunes. With Spotify, you are paying (or getting free but with ads) to stream the catalogue of music, which I suppose could be seen as 'renting' it. CWM is more difficult in the fact you have to download the tracks first, but that gives more flexibility in that you can listen on your phone and offline. Spotify charges 9.99 a month, and when you consider the fact that you can continue listening to your CWM tracks after your contract ends (albeit on a particular PC/device) I think CWM is a very good deal.

Old 16-06-2009, 09:30 AM

robertdh is on a distinguished road
Ewan,
i agree with you on many points.
i have been using the music store from inception
and have been a bit turned off from regularly using it
because of the manner of which i switch devices....
in the last few months i have gone through at least 4
nokia devices.....and i like music! with the n97 being my
next device come june 19th what will become of my music bought;
having already used the 3 devices im allowed to transfer music to...
guess that 32gb really looks out of place now! lol
something you stated that was unclear to me....
i have used both the pc and mobile to purchase tracks....
but i have never NOT been able to transfer my purchased music
to another device, irrespective of method of download.
actually i have changed my computer 2 times since....and by
just signing into the music store i was able to auto retreive licences
and play tracks....this also goes for devices....i think its a maximum of
3 devices you can switch to.
i dont know if i was just "lucky" or this is an actual method of transfer....
but the music plays....
maybe you can look into this a bit more?
i too am upset that the database shows a song from 1971 for eg with a 2008
original date! irrespective of the reissue the original date should be there!
(thanks for media monkey!)....hated to see "africa" by toto with a 2008 date!
again i agree with you that searching for music is a bit tiresome....
why cant i just search for the song? you know that song i heard last night
but dont know who sings it?
the music store needs some more polishing and work out these little hicks...
but it is great what nokia have done in this short space of time with the store....
but if youre gonna do something....do it right all the way through!

Old 16-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

Things have started to move. VirginMedia who are a broadband, telephone, cable TV provider in the UK have announced an all you can eat music service for subscribers. More to come I feel.

Still much cheaper ways of legally getting music but things are improving.

Old 16-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
The Virgin package is goign to be only for one lable (Universal) and likely to not launch unitl late Q4 this year. Cost is rumoured to be "a few tens of pounds a month" so yes there is movement but nothign that reflects the nature of music online IMO
-- Twitter: @ewan
Ads

Old 16-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Unregistered

Virgn are "talking to other labels...."

Old 16-06-2009, 04:43 PM
unregistered

Hi Steve,
The problem you've met with regarding not being able to download certain tracks from certain albums is a record label imposed thing... Labels make tracks available only as part of the album/compilation so you can't 'cherry-pick' tracks and you're forced to download it in it's entirety.

It happens everywhere, iTunes, you name it... in the industry they call it 'bundle only'. It happens with quite a lot with bonus tracks on albums... you can only get the extra goodies by downloading the whole album.

In the case of Eurovison there are lots of interested parties - labels, publishers etc responsible for their artist on a hefty compilation like that but whoever put the compilation together at the record label has blocked the best tunes so thay can get more revenue from a whole album sale/ 'protect' their artists etc.

It's just something that most music vendors have to put up with so I'm pretty sure Nokia aren't trying to maliciously do you out of your Europop! ; )
Best
J

Old 16-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
It's just something that most music vendors have to put up with so I'm pretty sure Nokia aren't trying to maliciously do you out of your Europop! ; )
The point of course is that the end-user doesn't care about the WHY, they just care that they CAN'T.
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 16-06-2009, 10:48 PM

Doctor_hv is on a distinguished road
As always, someone will break that DRM protection and give users the freedom they deserve when they pay...
btw, I'm glad that there are people listening to Bosnian bands...
there are also Bosnians who visit AAS on regular basis... Keep on the great work!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:12 PM

harrysboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_hv View Post
As always, someone will break that DRM protection and give users the freedom they deserve when they pay...
btw, I'm glad that there are people listening to Bosnian bands...
there are also Bosnians who visit AAS on regular basis... Keep on the great work!
I think the idea of that package on the whole(phone plus downloads from Comes with Music store ) is good, but, if you ask me, is still has a long way ahead until it goes from good to great, especially regarding that drm part.
I was actually interested in this, but the fact that the use of the files is restricted is not so appealing to me.
Though, if I recall correctly, I think I saw a couple of articles related to these drm ed files they sell and an app that converts them.
I will look into it and see what was the name of that app, if I can still find it.

Old 16-07-2009, 11:00 AM

Blackmun is on a distinguished road
There are many tools which can remove the protection from the files, but beware, not all of them are legal, you should look for those which rerecord the original files and don't mess with the drm..

Old 27-07-2009, 01:55 PM

Yeah that's what I had in mind also. The app I read about in those articles, Tunebite, seems to do that re recording the original files and saving them as fresh free files thing , as far as I read.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 PM

yeah, seems to be a good soft, didn't try it yet, but I saw some reviews about it, the users are really happy of using it. It's helpful because it supports many formats, for both audio and video files. I'll try it

Old 06-08-2009, 02:13 PM

It seems to be working quite good actually, as far as I had time to look at it. Tried a demo myself and like what I see so far.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:10 PM

I've got this soft cause the trial version worked well and decided to get it cause in this way I can have unlimited music for free anytime I want. I can't find many softs like this and also legal. Besides that it works good, high speed and quality