All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Nokia N86 8MP is now shipping

Nokia's 8 megapixel N86 smartphone is now shipping according to Nokia Press Bulletin Board. Outwardly similar to the N85, the N86 features a slightly redesigned casing, kick stand, non-flat chunky keypad, and of course an 8 megapixel af camera which is the highest resolution on any Nokia device so far. Our camera expert Steve will be examining this hardware in detail of course, but just to give the official specs the N86 has a variable aperture for low-light photography, a fast mechanical shutter and automatic blur reduction. The N86 runs Symbian S60v3 FP2, is compatible with N-Gage and Ovi Store, and comes with 8 gigabytes of on-board memory as well as a separate microSD card slot for extra memory. (via ZOMGitsCJ)

Read on in the full article.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Maybe I'm missing something... why does the N86 in your gallery have "N85 8MP" written on it? Shouldn't it say "N86 8MP" instead?

And anyway... where's my N97!? Grr

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open
Ads

Old 10-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Zxon, apologies, I should have explained:

Because the N85 and N86 are so similar, Nokia was originally going to use the name "N85 8MP" for the new phone. However, they then decided that it was different enough to warrant an entirely new model number, so the name was changed to "N86 8MP". There is some discussion of this in the first AAS link I gave above:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...de_by_Side.php

Old 10-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Unregistered

*crossing fingers* and hoping for a) excellent photo quality (the samples thus far have been disappointing and b) a way to turn off the obnoxious focus and shutter sounds. If a + b = true, consider me sold.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
excellent photo quality
As I said before, AAS's Steve Litchfield will be giving the N86 his usual thorough photography and video test. That should show what the N86 is capable of in various different conditions.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to previous photo samples as they would have been taken on prototype hardware. The only photos that really matter are the ones from production hardware and production firmware, which is what we're about to get.

Quote:
a way to turn off the obnoxious focus and shutter sounds
I've never heard of focus noises?

As far as shutter noises go, they may well be down to legal restrictions rather than technical issues in which case there's not much the manufacturer can do about it. Incidentally on my Nokia 5800 and 5320 the shutter noises can be turned off by going into the silent profile, so I'm not sure what the legal status of these noises is.

BTW some people claim shutter noises are because of Japanese laws but that can't be the case because Nokia doesn't sell any phones in Japan (neither do most phone manufacturers as the Japanese market is now almost entirely controlled by network operators with their own OEM hardware).

Old 11-06-2009, 02:19 AM
bustafone

You can turn the shutter off by going into profiles turning the Warning Tones off.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
AAS's Steve Litchfield will be giving the N86 his usual thorough photography and video test.
I'm really looking forward to it . Been looking at the ones on Flickr as well and am holding out hope that they've improved as they finalized the firmware.

Quote:
I've never heard of focus noises?

As far as shutter noises go, they may well be down to legal restrictions rather than technical issues in which case there's not much the manufacturer can do about it. Incidentally on my Nokia 5800 and 5320 the shutter noises can be turned off by going into the silent profile, so I'm not sure what the legal status of these noises is.
Yeah, the focus noise seems to be a Nokia only thing - I certainly have it on my E71 (with the latest firmware, earlier firmware iterations were fully nag-sound free) and I think I remember them being on the N85 when I tried it in-store.

Legally, there's no reason to have them in the US, where I reside, although a congressman or two has made mention of wanting to include such legislation. It's pretty mindless FUD legislation though - why would a regular camera, similar or smaller in size, shooting much higher quality low-light shots not be crippled with crazy loud shutter sounds, but a camera phone should be?

On the E71, there's nothing you can do to silence the sounds - they still sound in silent profile even with warning tones off. It's pretty embarrassing being 'that prick' taking a bunch of pictures with an insanely loud shutter sound. In most situations, you get glares from others (tried and true in museums, btw). And of course, embarrassment over your lame-sounding device only heightens the more pictures you take, so you just end up taking fewer shots. If silent profile actually works on N-Series phones, that might be enough of a workaround for me, even though I still hate the lack of a 'no sound' option.

*rant* Shutter sounds are incredibly stupid, unnecessary and borne of an overreaction to the initial inclusion of camera's on phones. There's no reason to legislate against consolidation of technology and there's no reason Nokia should force it upon its users. *end rant*

Quote:
You can turn the shutter off by going into profiles turning the Warning Tones off.
I sooooo hope you're right. Doesn't work on the E-Series, but if it does on the N-Series and the N86 in particular, I'm sold.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Unregistered

<i>why would a regular camera, similar or smaller in size, shooting much higher quality low-light shots not be crippled with crazy loud shutter sounds, but a camera phone should be? </i>

Because with a regular camera, unlike a multi-purpose phone, it's pretty obvious to everyone what it is and what it is for and what somebody is likely to be doing with it. The shutter noise on phones is supposed to prevent surreptitious use in situations where people would prefer privacy.

The stupid thing is, the camera can still shoot 10 minutes of video without makig any sound at all.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Because with a regular camera, unlike a multi-purpose phone, it's pretty obvious to everyone what it is and what it is for and what somebody is likely to be doing with it. The shutter noise on phones is supposed to prevent surreptitious use in situations where people would prefer privacy.
Really, you can't tell that this phone has a camera on it? Was the large lens not enough of a giveaway? Have they not been around long enough that people will assume phones have photo taking capabilities? The solution to surreptitious photos being taken is not to single out one form of technology and legislate that it be inferior - you can't assume every camera phone user is a pervert just waiting to take those sneaky shots, but that's what these sort of inane laws (and Nokia's choices) do.

People's unreasonable fear that someone, somewhere might take a photo of them should not necessitate my having to have a ridiculously horrible and loudly obnoxious sound crippling my device.

The N86 is aimed at providing a high quality alternative to carrying around a point and shoot - treating all N86 owners as potential perverts - which is exactly what those sounds are for - is shortsighted and wrong. Ridiculous and unfounded fears of privacy concerns is a really transparent and thin excuse. Why not limit all cars to 75 mph out of fear of my safety concern? What about making P2P illegal because it could potentially be used for illegal file sharing? Let's make all the ingredients in meth illegal, because hey, anybody buying epsom salt must be starting up a meth lab.

Sorry, that rationale just don't hunt. Trying to legislate against potential uses of things is one step removed from thought-crime legislation - stick to punishing those who actually do break laws, not everybody who has the potential to.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Unregistered

One more thing. My country is not yet ridiculous enough to enact legislation silly enough to force sounds on a subset of certain technologies - so really this is Nokia's choice on their NAM models. It's their choice to treat all their uses as potential perverts undeserving of any sort of basic trust. It's entirely their choice to sneak said crippled sounds into updated firmware release without mentioning it in the release notes as they did with my E71 (oh, and bonus that there's no way to downgrade firmware! Thanks you Finnish bastards!).

It's that sort of disdain for its customers that constantly tempts me to give up being the only person I know with a Nokia phone and write them off as the decaying dinosaur of a corporation they are increasingly becoming.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:09 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
People's unreasonable fear that someone, somewhere might take a photo of them should not necessitate my having to have a ridiculously horrible and loudly obnoxious sound crippling my device.
Please explain to me how a shutter sound indicating that a snap has been clicked "cripples" your device? Do your photos come out bad because of it? Does the screen blank out? Are you not able to do some specific task on your phone? HOW?

Plus all manufacturers have that shutter sound on their phones. AND all standalone cameras (except the professional ones) have it too. Dont go about blaming just Nokia for it. Everybody's to blame!!!

Quote:
It's that sort of disdain for its customers that constantly tempts me to give up being the only person I know with a Nokia phone and write them off as the decaying dinosaur of a corporation they are increasingly becoming
So whose forcing you to buy Nokia phones? I have my complaints with Nokia too, but I can always (believe me you can too!!!) switch over to any other manufacturer that satisfies my needs.

Last edited by malerocks; 11-06-2009 at 09:12 AM.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Please explain to me how a shutter sound indicating that a snap has been clicked "cripples" your device? Do your photos come out bad because of it? Does the screen blank out? Are you not able to do some specific task on your phone? HOW?
Sure. It makes it virtually impossible to take candid shots of people. The sounds are early enough (seriously, a focus sound?!) that trying to get candid shots of friends ends up with them looking directly at the camera (often with the odd facial expression) instead of natural shots of people engaging in whatever activity they were engaging in. BTW, if you do manage to get that one candid shot off, you sure as hell aren't getting any more after the first one - and that goes for anybody within earshot range. It's also really hard to use a loud camera in certain situations - it sucks really hard in museums and even in restaurants.

Neither of those may matter to you, but they sure suck for me.

Quote:
Plus all manufacturers have that shutter sound on their phones. AND all standalone cameras (except the professional ones) have it too. Dont go about blaming just Nokia for it. Everybody's to blame!!!
Maybe, still waiting to see if the SE Satio lets you turn it off. Hoping for the best. The iPhone doesn't have the shutter sound in silent mode - a quick flip of a switch - and even when active is much, much more quiet and can even be easily muffled by just covering the speaker. I'm waiting to see how quality improves on the new version to see if that's even a viable alternative as a good camera phone.

BTW, the E71-2 did not have these sounds forced upon me when I bought it - they stuck them in a firmware update, else I probably would have returned it. Also, I've never in my life owned a point and shoot - and I've owned just under a dozen - that forced a camera shutter sound without the option to turn it off.

Quote:
So whose forcing you to buy Nokia phones? I have my complaints with Nokia too, but I can always (believe me you can too!!!) switch over to any other manufacturer that satisfies my needs.
Oh, I know. I really, really want to like Nokia and I'm very tempted by the N86, that doesn't mean I can't get very frustrated and disappointed when I see them doing things that make it harder to be proud about owning a Nokia.

I've had at least a dozen arguments w/ all my iPhone carrying friends where I point out all the good things Nokia has an edge up on Apple over - consideration for their customers is not one of those things. I know that if I get an iPhone, it gets better over time - great upgrades, really easy customer service, really useful and mostly free apps - I would love for that to be true of Nokia too and wish that Nokia cared enough about its customers to even provide some sort of feedback mechanism.

Even with all the things I hate about Nokia, like the abused girlfriend, I keep going back for more - but there'll be a point where I give up - but I still want to hope Nokia gets it's s**t together before I reach that point.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Unregistered

Silent mode on my Nokia is two buttons (power button briefly then profile selection). Then there is no noise at all when taking a photo. The LED flash still illuminates red briefly though.

I wonder what people did before silent cameras. A Leica M6 with a cloth shutter was supposed to be the discrete candid weapon but it still made noise. A modern DSLR still has mirror flap noise and AF whirr.

If people are really seriously into photography that these details need addressing, then I would suggest that a tiny CCD sensor behind a plastic fixed lens followed by aggressive .jpg processing is probably not the tool they are looking for. A camera might be a better option, along with a pile of release forms.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:23 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oh, I know. I really, really want to like Nokia and I'm very tempted by the N86, that doesn't mean I can't get very frustrated and disappointed when I see them doing things that make it harder to be proud about owning a Nokia.
Even with all the things I hate about Nokia, like the abused girlfriend, I keep going back for more - but there'll be a point where I give up - but I still want to hope Nokia gets it's s**t together before I reach that point.
I know what you are talking about man and I do agree with you on this one. Fortunately, all markets today are such that it is the customers that determine which companies work and what works. And people are more willing to shift loyalties. Nokia is stubborn today because they have the largest market share. Once they start losing customers to better phones been offered by others (may take time to happen, but will happen.), they will definitely have to get their a** straightened up and bring about some major changes.
Just look at the lovely phones offered by others - the Samsung i8910 and the SE Satio. More will come. Everyone wants business. Either Nokia will have to straighten up or we simply shift to these guys for good (and satisfactory) phones... Cheers to that!!!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Unregistered

i got the N86 for a couple of days already. I think it is the most beautiful Nseries phone to day: the front is line a dark gemstone framed by a dark metallic rim; the back has a soft 'talcum' like cover that is similar to the N95 classic's. The slide is fine but can be better -- wish it could be as sharp as the E66's slide.

The soft keys are good and the Dpad is fantastic -- one of the best from Nokia. It is interesting that i cannot really see the Confirm key but yet the press feels so right. The number pad is good by N series standards (read: N79/N85/96) and is almost as good as N95 in terms of travel. In its favour is that the buttons are distinctly separated.

My big gripe: to remove the microsd card, you need to remove the back cover. And removing the back cover is just a pain: there is no release button like on N79/N85 but you have pry it open like some cheap phone.

Camera: the wide angle lens is great!