All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-06-2009, 07:00 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Sunshine !

Maybe some of you are interested in solar power - no I am not a retailer ! - , but try to find any solution . I found this on another forum :
- solar charger , USB , with adapter : 3,5 and 2 mm
http://usb.brando.com.hk/usb-solar-c...84c039d15.html
- solar charger , sorry only AAA and Dutch :
http://www.gpsolar.nl/

Regards jApi NL
Ads

Old 17-06-2009, 08:01 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer I don't have one .. but

a couple of power saving tips from N95 days ..
if you can get to the advanced wifi setup
look for Tx Power .. almost certainly set at 100mW .. set it at 10 or 4mW
(hopefully these options are available to you with the Samsung)

s60 .. menu / tools / settings / connection / wireless lan / options / Advanced settings .. yes

while you're there set Power saving Enabled

switch off bluetooth of you're not using it and WLAN scanning (in conjunction with the above will cut down wifi battery use)

good luck!

Old 17-06-2009, 12:08 PM

Smile WLAN Settings

I am using Nokia S60 3rd . Thank you for your reply : never knew this setting . Also in this Setting you can change : "Show Availability of WLAN " to > Never . I think this helps too .

Regards jApi NL

Old 19-06-2009, 04:11 PM

Dazz is on a distinguished road
I got my i8910 on wednesday, charged it for 15hrs, then depleted which lasted a whole day with the screen on max brightness and never turned off the screen, lasted about 9hrs which was amazing then charged a further 12hrs but since this morning when i took it off charge i connected it to the PC to put a couple of movies on and abit of music and from 10am the power has dropped from 100% to 45% i have sent 2 text messages watched a 10min 720p video and a 5min phone call and played nearly 1hr of MP3's. Surely it should not be this bad? I got my phone through phones4u. Should i contact them about a replacement battery or Orange. i am playing transformers in 720p to kill the battery and try a full charge again and see if it's any better. But it does sound like some back ground processes which is heavily draining the battery. It seems every 10mins of 720p content is draing the battery 15%!!!

Last edited by Dazz; 19-06-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Old 19-06-2009, 10:10 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer I'm not surprised

Showing a wallpaper screen is not processor intensive. Showing HD video really taxes the system a lot of IO and processor work.

If you're connecting to your PC for any length of time check that the device is charging.

Old 19-06-2009, 10:45 PM

Well the brightness tends to drain most mobile phone batteries quite quick but Samsung have specs of the i8910 to provide playback of 720p @ 4.3hrs but can't even get close to that. While connected it was indeed charging tried bluetooth but performance was very poor not even 1mb/sec transfer.

Old 20-06-2009, 07:25 PM

ClearSky1 is on a distinguished road
You might find a solution here

http://samsungi8910omnia.com/forum/o.../battery-life/

Last edited by ClearSky1; 20-06-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Old 21-06-2009, 10:02 AM

lombardjini is on a distinguished road
battery life

What you can do is as first let the battery go totaly empty by using the phone till it goes out of it's own.
Then take the battery out and rap it in a alumiun fole.
After that putt it in a freezer fore two ours.
Than get it out and putt it in the phone again, and let the battry fully load.
Have fun, sorry for my english

Old 30-06-2009, 09:09 AM

rleader is on a distinguished road
Hi - IMO this battery drain issue is a much more fundamental programming issue, and I have just been spending 'some considerable time' trying to figure it out. I have had this overnight 'quick drain' phenomenon once last week, and now again, for a fourth time, I have woken up to a one bar battery (I am doing tests to solve it).

I have put on the i8910 every conceivable tweak going, AFAIK, that includes closing apps, WiFi, GPS, putting on all the packet data/video sharing tweaks (on other posts here, at AAS, on the other links above re: battery drain issues, poutting on the power saving, no-scanning for WiFi routers etc., no BT, as per excellent posts above (BTW the menu system is different on the i8910 compared to what Japanil/Seki report! - but cloe enough so that you can hunt about - the WiFi power saving appears to be ON by Default, so that is good for those who can't be bothered to check!).

Elsewhere on the 'net, I have picked up the info that by using your PC/USB cable, this may setup a background process you cannot control... ultimately draining the battery. Indeed, this is what I did last night about 6pm, before I fully charged my i8910 for 4h, and then left it by my bed overnight, to awake to one bar (as if I was watching an .mp4-AAC all night!). I checked I had no apps running, all the above tweaks seem to be in place, I had not used BT or GPS since the last reboot, but I had used WiFi and Samsung PC studio.
I do not have a memory card in its slot (waiting for the 32gb microsd, plus trying to solve the above first!).

Conclusion: As far as I can tell, the 'workaround' to avoid the overnight battery drain issue, is to reboot your handset just before bed time, once you have put on all the known tweaks. If you have a mission critical business reason to use the i8910 the following morning, just make sure you have your second battery, fully charged, and ready to change over when required.

Other than that, does anyone have a clue about this mystery?
Quite frankly, this is unacceptable, as, trust me, one day you will wake up with no battery and no backup. I really can't remember the last time I had a handset that did this - oh yes, I can, one of the early Orange SPV models about 6 years ago had an issue like this when you left an SD card in (but this does not apply here, as I don't have a microSD in the slot).

Roll on the firmware updates... *fingers crossed* *sigh*

To check background processes - is there any freeware out there? Or am I to buy Best Taskman? I can't find any DETAILED/Advanced background/task manager software on the i8910 as standard (Orange xxIE2 branded). Boy, am I starting to use my WM6.1 software archive again... this handset is on its last legs for me. Way too many bugs!

Old 30-06-2009, 09:49 AM

Smile Internal Device Information

When you want internal info , you can try two apps :
Both work on S60 v 3 , so maybe on v 5 as well :
1. Nokia Betalabs Device Status :
http://betalabs.nokia.com/betas/view...-device-status
2. Third party app PhoNetInfo from Patrick Frei (recommended) :
http://www.patrickfrei.ch/phonetinfo/
Old version free , new version paid .

Regards jApi NL

Old 30-06-2009, 02:24 PM

Thanks! Great ideas - I have finally had time to figure out and learn the Symbian signing situation this afternoon, mainly because PAtrick Frei has some great HOWTO instructions on his site:
http://www.patrickfrei.ch/phonetinfo..._unsigned.html

So, I have my signed
PhoNetInfo_2.2.0_OSO.sis
& it installed ok & now I am starting my journey to hunt down spurious processes that may/may not be affecting this possible overnight battery drain phenomenon.

Can I also add that I was a bit confused for about 5min wondering why I could only see the 'General' tab in Patrick Frei's program (great job Patrick!) - y'see, when you first start the application on the i8910, there is no indication that other tabs exist at all (no big Left or Right handed white triangles, either side of General - these do not exist when you first start the program!). It is only when I read the Instructions and it said there were tabs did I 'guess' that you could touch swipe your figure over the word 'General' & then the other tabs (& the white triangles) appear! Thought I'd mention it here for any others who want to try this prog out & think it only has one screen!

Now, finally, after 4 weeks, I have the opportunity to start digging deeper into Symbian. I can't help feeling that this kind of program really ought to exist 'out of the box' on this kind of handset (eh, Samsung, Why not talk to M. Frei & give him some euro?).

Old 30-06-2009, 02:50 PM

excalibur76 is on a distinguished road
Hi a note to all if you had the phone on orange and you have debranded it you need to do a hard reset after, then you will have a really good battery there are orange stuff still left over trying to start stuff that drains the battery.Just remember to save your contacts and stuff as it will deleat them.

HARD RESET *#7370#

Old 08-07-2009, 06:55 PM

The rapid overnight battery drain phenomenon

Well, I have convinced myself that this is a bug re: some rogue background process I cannot identify.

Symptom: As we know, typically, you wake up, and from a full charge the evening before, you only have one bar of battery left! Previous to this, with all the known tweaks installed, battery optimised, you can get at least a full day+, sometimes up to 2.5 days (on minimum usage)... so, how come overnight, it suddenly runs down?

This happened to me 4 times during the last month, and, here's a new scenario: I guessed it was happening as I was in the car, put the handset on charge from one bar (via miniUSB cigarette lighter charger+microUSB adapter) and after 2h on charge, the handset went up 1 bar, and after 4h (return trip) only 3 bars were up and these 'ran down' quickly (I had used this charger before & all was fine). At home, I rebooted the handset, and put it on the standard charger, by bedtime it was full charge & did not rundown overnight (as I didn't use the handset I guess!).

Possible causes: Use of GPS, WiFi, connecting USB cable & using PC studio - really, I don't know. Just general heavy use, & somewhere this 'rogue process' starts up.

Now, I can't see anything abnormal with PhoNetInfo app - there's usually 12 processes on a fresh boot up, then if you attach the USB cable you get 3 more which you can't get rid of unless you reboot, - one is a Clock process (?)). I might write up what I've found in another thread, but to be honest, I can't be bothered & I don't understand the names of the processes yet, being a new Symbian user.

Workaround: of course, as reported:
Turn off your handset every night, and put on charge. Turn on in the morning. This has always given me the correct full charge.

That's my cent's worth!
... waiting for those two new juicy firmwares - perhaps one will solve this battery drain 'feature'. BenM on Samsung UK innovators forum has hinted it should be in one of them!

Certainly, this is the biggest problem/flaw I have experienced with this handset, much more than the AMR codec issue / lack of 'practical' HD movie recording. Without any battery in the morning, you really are in a bit of a pickle!

Old 09-07-2009, 12:12 AM

Well after playing around with my handset i have turned 3G off, GPS off, Wifi Off, BT off and get very good battery life now. I have only needed to turn the phone off after connected via USB which as has been said before has some process which east away the battery. With these tweeks i have been able to get out of genral use of 6hrs Audio playback, 5hrs phone calls and 4 1/2 days standby on a single charge which is pretty good i think. This week i have got 4 days life with 1hrs video playback at 640x360 MP4, 6hrs music and 2hrs phone calls. Over all much more impresses. I am still debating debanding the phone for the newer firmware.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 AM

an update

Hi Dazz - I agree with all your comments - when the battery works, after some consumer input to setup the handset from all the tweaks you can read off the 'net, it is GREAT -

the main issue is, what happens if you are someone e.g. a professional, who requires his handset to be on all the time, even when it is charging, so you don't miss a call.?

Perhaps also you are someone who doesn't even have time to remember to reboot his telephone every day? Currently I am not someone such as this, but I have been...

Every other handset I have owned has not had this problem, bar an Orange SPV, which became known for battery drain via its SD card slot (with an SD card in, a background process started up & drained the battery much quicker).

As an update, as of this morning, I am at a loss as to what is causing this problem - as my i8910 suffered it again last night for really obscure reasons - this is what happened:

I turned off the handset and charged it up yesterday evening, taking it off the charger at 23:00, fully charged after at least 4h. I turned it on (to test) and left it on. Now, most nights, if I do this, knowing I had not used the handset (it was on a fresh reboot before I went to bed) then I should be ok! In fact, at 07.15 I was awakened by the 'low battery' beep! So, in fact, the battery had drained as if I had been watching an .mp4 all night! BUT, the handset had not been touched and the screen never activated!

Now, what had changed?
The only thing that had happened in the night is that I had received an SMS from an overseas friend at about 1 a.m. which I had not heard as I leave my handset in silent mode.

So,
Is the battery drain problem
a) due to the Messaging app?
b) due to the USB sync cable that when connected to PC studio - but I have found starts up 3 additional apps (from the 12 initially reported by PhoNetInfo) two of which are a Clock process - and, yes, a Messaging process!!! - as XP-based PC studio program shows you on the PC screen your new SMSs!
or it could be:
c) no-one else can relate to these problems as I am the only one with a faulty handset in this regard...(?)

So, do I have what you would call a faulty handset? (I think I do) Has anyone out there actually 'nailed' this problem with a practical workaround yet, that doesn't involve leaving the handset switched off ?

I have Orange UK firmware xxIE2 - not debranded because a) I am not sure of warranty implications and b) I have not had the time to properly research this to ensure a low risk re: I don't damage the handset and can put back on the Orange firmware too - and c) I am now waiting for the possible elixir of the two possible firmware updates from Samsung, assuming somehow a UK user can get them on his/her i8910, and that one contains a fix for this battery issue.

So it remains, my workaround will be to leave the handset switched off overnight completely and/or have my spare battery ready to be put in, if my main one drains.

- but for others who may be reading this, this might not be a great situation! (e.g. you might actually want to use the handset at all times). I also found (see above post) that if this battery drain process is actually going on in your handset, then charging your handset whilst it is on results in poor overall charging - i.e. in 4h you will not get a full charge, but rather a 30% charge, then after you stop charging, of course, your battery goes down in 3h again.

Conclusion: I believe now that at least one way this battery drain phenomenon on my xxIE2 (6 May 2009) Orange UK firmware i8910 might be somehow caused is through a Messaging app process, likely activated e.g. by an incoming SMS.

Comments welcomed!

Is there any program out there I don't have to pay for that will allow me to find and 'kill' this Messaging process I see through PhoNetInfo, so I can test my findings above? I don't want to pay, as I might eventually have to return the handset and give up on this incredibly buggy Symbian handset altogether and get back to happier WinMo hunting grounds. But I haven't given up, not quite yet, but I am very close to this decision (sorry everyone)!

I also have not yet fully understood this Symbian signing nonsense. a) I don't want to get a certificate from 'someone' in China and such possible security implications and
b) with Symbian Online signing BETA I have only ever managed to get ONE freeware app to work from it onto my i8910. All the other attempts (including DrJukka's new clock app - I think I will write to him and tell hime my probs). My i8910 still reports some certificate error of one kind or another, even after having been 'successfully' online signed over at Symbian Online. I've tried resetting my i8910 clock, all those tricks, and my i8910 is also set in the App Manager that I have allowed 'All' apps, and no Online Cert checking. I've also tried FreeSigner, etc. all to no avail.

Could it be that Symbian online BETA does not fully understand my i8910? I note online that some of the menu dialogues that other users report e.g. for the N95, are different as to how you find them on the i8910.
So there are obvious differences between N95 and 5800/i8910 v5 menus.

I understand the security reasons why signing exists, but I have never wasted such time with WinMo (ever) and never had (yet) any probs with my WinMo handset in 3 years of its use. Looks like I will have to set aside another weekend to understand signing *sigh*. I've found loads of webpages on how to get a certificate, but it all looks so flakey (some of the OPDA sites don't work) that I don't think I can take the risk with my i8910 handset I need everyday for professional use.