All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 04-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Nokia N97's official demo site and 4-country pre-order

With the Nokia N97 getting ever closer, there's now an official Flash site, with the usual feature lists, animated graphics and 'interactive demo'. There's also a 'Pre-order' page, although this only works if you live in the USA, Sweden, Germany or Italy.

Read on in the full article.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:39 AM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Meh. I don't care about the N97 anymore. With an underpowered CPU, no graphics acceleration, and the usual 5MP camera, it is the S60 5th ed. analogue of the N96. It's really sad for me to see the company that made the N95 lately to come up with such drek. Wake me up when Nokia finally releases a real flagship phone for the N-series; the N97 is certainly not it.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:54 AM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
You can add Finland to the country list as well Steve. Verkkokauppa is allowing for pre order. The price is currently listed at 999.90 Euros but this is the place holder price. We should see the actual prices come in to play very soon.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:37 PM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
I am still looking forward to it and can't wait to get my hands on one. For me the great leap is not in the hardware alone, but the software pieces and ovi coming together.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:44 PM

chlettn is on a distinguished road
http://europe.nokia.com/n97/features

N-Gage isn't mentioned at all - it only shows a generic games icon/section name. The first real sign of the death of N-Gage?

Old 04-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Chlettn, the N-Gage logo is used on the demo screen, that's why it's an orange N. I'd expect them to replace it with the controller icon used on Ovi.com though, purely because they want to use the same icons across all Ovi-compatible devices.

The N-Gage icon's name has always been "Games" on all existing N-Gage-compatible phones. That doesn't really tell us anything one way or the other.

If something does happen to N-Gage though, it's more likely to be an integration with the Ovi Store client rather than "death".

Nokia have got some very good exclusive games on N-Gage with more in the pipeline, I think they'd rather use them to promote Ovi Store than just throw it all away. And the N-Gage platform's multiplayer infrastructure is very good when it's done properly, just visit resetgeneration.com for an example. If they could integrate that into Ovi Store it would make a very useful resource for game publishers.

I don't think the people who did this N97 site know much about games though, as they're using video from the 2D Java version of Asphalt 4 instead of the proper 3D S60/N-Gage version.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:23 PM
utossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
Meh. I don't care about the N97 anymore. With an underpowered CPU, no graphics acceleration, and the usual 5MP camera, it is the S60 5th ed. analogue of the N96. It's really sad for me to see the company that made the N95 lately to come up with such drek. Wake me up when Nokia finally releases a real flagship phone for the N-series; the N97 is certainly not it.
The 'underpowered' CPU will result in a better battery life and the lack of graphics acceleration will position the N97 as a more serious phone and less of a toy, so both positives in my opinion.

As for negatives in my opinion, the price. They are in cloud cuckoo land if the Finnish post is anything to go by.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by utossa View Post
The 'underpowered' CPU will result in a better battery life and the lack of graphics acceleration will position the N97 as a more serious phone and less of a toy, so both positives in my opinion.

As for negatives in my opinion, the price. They are in cloud cuckoo land if the Finnish post is anything to go by.
Okay fair comment, better battery life has got to be a bonus - BUT why put a physical D pad if not for better gaming, and then go and blow it by not including graphics hardware

Old 04-05-2009, 06:31 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The 'underpowered' CPU will result in a better battery life
Sure, if you want to get more battery life, using a slow, previous-generation CPU and no graphics acceleration is one way to go. Or you can use a fast, latest-generation CPU, graphics acceleration, and AMOLED screen like the Omnia HD, which has actually a better battery life than the N97 (according to the published specs). And a large OLED screen is the kind of cutting-edge technology you expect to see in a flagship phone. Hardware-wise, there's absolutely nothing cutting-edge at all about the N97.
Quote:
the lack of graphics acceleration will position the N97 as a more serious phone and less of a toy
It's a N-series! It's not a E-series. It will have N-Gage. It's supposed to be for multimedia and gaming! If you want a business phone, you have plenty of E-series models to choose from.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:10 AM

jonnybruha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by utossa View Post

New processors used in modern devices (note: the N97 is not modern) have dynamic power saving features, which allow them to run more efficiently at higher clock speeds with graphics acceleration as a bonus. So Cortex A8/Snapdragon/the rest = faster than ARM11 and less power consumption.

I think the N97 is Nokia's last chance to put an old, inexpensive CPU into their flagship and make a silly margin off of the people who will buy it just because it's the flagship. I mean really, your N95 is more capable than the N97 FFS! Wake up!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:01 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
Still not yet available to us in Finland at the moment, but periodically checking availability. I tried pre-ordering from Play.com, but during the final stages of my checkout, it prompted me the item could only be shipping to a UK address, even though it has allowed me to add Finland in the registeration area.

Ads

Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 AM

genXhippie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybruha View Post
.....I think the N97 is Nokia's last chance to put an old, inexpensive CPU into their flagship and make a silly margin off of the people who will buy it just because it's the flagship. I mean really, your N95 is more capable than the N97 FFS! Wake up!

Spot on, joonybruha, really.

To me, it's apparent that Nokia has obviously stolen a page out of Apple's Iphone play book, with the exaggerated marketing of old hat/already done specs.

So, I agree, wake up ppl.

The N97 is definitely over priced compared to the offerings of my N82, as well as, my old Classic N95 imo.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 AM

Diane is on a distinguished road
True Nokia N97 is a cumbersome task, but selecting one of them depends on your requirements. and guys are't we missing nokia;s own software pieces and ovi

Old 05-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Unregistered

How a phone specs suit will be down to individual requirement. the first thing I do with a new N series phone is remove N-Gage and claim back the space for something useful, so I will never need graphics acceleration, and I suspect the majority are the same.

I've already ruled out N97 on both price and exterior dimensions.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Unregistered

N97 in Spain

The N97 is also available for preorder from Spain