All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 28-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Nokia 5800 Tutorial: How to set up and use e-mail

Another Nokia 5800 tutorial for beginners, this time we're taking a look at the e-mail options currently available on the 5800. We cover the basics of how to set up a POP or IMAP e-mail account on the phone's built-in messaging app, how to make new e-mails alert you just like text messages, how to set up multiple e-mail accounts on the same phone, and more. (We haven't covered the dedicated Nokia Messaging e-mail client or Gmail's Java client because they don't yet have proper 5800 versions.) As always, you can see a complete list of these how-to articles on our 5800 tutorial index page.

Read on in the full article.

Old 28-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Incidentally, if anyone from Nokia is reading this, can you please call your SMS/POP e-mail client and push e-mail client different names?

At the moment there's:

"Messaging" which handles SMS texts and POP/IMAP e-mail on Nokia phones

but there's also:

"Nokia Messaging" which can be installed to provide push e-mail and IM on Nokia phones

I can tell you right now that if Nokia Messaging becomes widely used, lots of people are going to get these two confused all the time.

Even when you know the difference, it's extremely difficult to talk about them clearly:

"I used to use Messaging on my Nokia phone, but now I use Nokia Messaging instead."

-"You have to pay to use Messaging on Nokia phones?"
-"No, you have to pay to use Nokia Messaging. Messaging is free."
-"Aren't they the same thing?"
-"No, they're totally different."
-"Why are they called the same name?"
-"Because Nokia is crazy."

Old 28-03-2009, 12:28 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
I thought "Nokia Messaging" was now "Nokia Email"? Or not? Or...?

Rafe did a summary recently when we were talking about something else. It's an utter shambles.

Old 28-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Administrator

"Nokia E-Mail" is now part of "Nokia Messaging":

http://betalabs.nokia.com/betas/view/nokia-messaging

And then on top of that Nokia offers a totally separate online e-mail service called "Ovi Mail":

http://betalabs.nokia.com/betas/view/ovi-mail

...though to be fair Ovi Mail is a webmail and POP/IMAP e-mail account service, whereas Nokia Messaging is an e-mail client and push e-mail service, so they're not overlapping as much as it seems.

And there was "Nokia Chat" which is now called "Ovi Contacts"... which is a totally different thing from the "Contacts" application built into S60, and also a totally different thing to the "Ovi Contacts" website.

It's a bit of a nightmare keeping track of all this, even if you follow it closely. The names are too similar, too generic, and change too often.

Old 28-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Unregistered

Email

Guys,
Any chance of a tutorial on how to keep desktop client, web client and phone in sync - not just for email, but contacts, to do lists, calendar etc.....thanks

Old 28-03-2009, 02:52 PM

coffeecat is on a distinguished road
Broken IMAP IDLE on gmail:

One problem with the built-in 5800 messaging client which I have found is that it doesn't properly support IMAP IDLE. It should be possible to leave it connected to gmail via IMAP and auto-check for email periodically as per this tutorial. It can work almost like "push", with minimal data or battery costs. However in my experience my 5800 just drops the connection to the IMAP server after a few minutes, and then never reconnects ever again unless you force it manually. So this feature is totally broken.

I've seen this complaint from loads of other folk on various forums so it's not just me. AND it's not apparently a gmail problem since people seem to have no problem with certain other Nokia phones, or even with Profimail on a 5800. So it just seems to be a bug in the 5800 email client. And as of v20 firmware it still doesn't work for me.

If they fixed that IMAP bug, I would consider my 5800 virtually perfect for me (OK, apart from all the other bugs - eg. the random screen colour changes implemented by v20...). But that is the only important functionality that I feel is now missing. The BBC iplayer download facility would be nice, but I don't think that is Nokia's fault.

Just my hap'orth ;-)

CC
Ads

Old 28-03-2009, 03:05 PM

coffeecat is on a distinguished road
Update - I've just seen this:

http://www.symbian-addict.com/2009/0...for-nokia.html

Sneak (alpha!) preview of Nokia Messaging client for the 5800. I can't wait!

CC

Old 28-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It can work almost like "push", with minimal data or battery costs. However in my experience my 5800 just drops the connection to the IMAP server after a few minutes, and then never reconnects ever again unless you force it manually. So this feature is totally broken.
Coffeecat,

I've just tested IMAP idling on my 5800 and my Gmail account using the method in the tutorial and it works fine. I've received several emails at the expected intervals (including the maximum of every 5 minutes), and they come through fine even if I've shut down the Messaging app. I'm using a Gmail account with POP disabled and IMAP enabled, and I verified from the phone mailbox's settings section that it was using IMAP.

Try this:

Are you following the tutorial method exactly, point by point, letter for letter? I say this because it's very easy to accidentally switch off the automatic retrieval if you try doing things a different way. There's a section of the settings labelled "E-mail notifications" which needs to be DISABLED if you actually want notifications of new e-mail.

Yes, that sounds counter-intuitive and it's Nokia's fault for using such deceptive terms, but that's the case. If you disable "e-mail notifications" and enable "e-mail retrieval", IMAP and POP should work fine even when you've exited the application. When I first tried using the 5800 I had notifications enabled and wondered why I didn't get told about new messages, it's a very easy mistake to make.

These are my e-mail settings which work with my GMail IMAP mailbox:

More things to try:

-Are you sure your mailbox is set to check itself often enough? You have to set the checking interval every time you add a new mailbox, it won't remember your interval setting from another mailbox.

-Have you enabled IMAP properly in your Gmail account? As you probably know you've got to enable IMAP in your gmail.com settings section before you can use it on IMAP clients.

-If you still can't get IMAP to work, try POP. You can get exactly the same push-esque functionality from POP, I've used it quite a lot while writing this tutorial, and never had any problems.

Quote:
eg. the random screen colour changes implemented by v20...)
Haven't noticed anything like that on my 5800 (and I am running the v20 firmware).

Quote:
Guys,
Any chance of a tutorial on how to keep desktop client, web client and phone in sync - not just for email, but contacts, to do lists, calendar etc.....thanks
Do you mean the desktop Ovi client?

Old 28-03-2009, 04:50 PM

asri is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Guys,
1. The best app for GMail data unification (Email, Contacts and Calendar) in my opinion, is System Seven.

2. System Seven synchronises Google Calendar to (and from) your calendar in your S60 phones.

3. System Seven also syncs your S60 contacts to (and from) your Google Contacts.

4. And of course, it push your Gmail emails. Not only the Inbox, but all your Gmail labels (appear as folders), and Sent items.

5. System Seven also works for Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and OWA as well as regular POP and IMAP emails.

6. I have used Seven for more than a year and perfectly manage my GMail and Google Apps data on my Symbian phones.

Cheers!

Old 28-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Unregistered

Asri - Thanks for the post i'll look into it

Tzer2 - I'm looking for an alternative to the Outlook / Outlook Web Access combination. You mention Ovi desktop - again thanks for this

Old 28-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Administrator

I mentioned Ovi because it covers all of the things you mentioned: to-do, calendar, contacts, e-mail, maps etc, and of course it's compatible with the 5800.

If you register at ovi.com and try it out you can see if it suits your requirements. Try registering through your PC browser to see all the features.

Old 28-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Unregistered

Searching emails on 5800

The thing that frustrates me to no end is that there doesn't seem to be a way to search your email on the device. Searching through messages only brings up SMS messages and no emails. Or maybe I just don't know how to work it?

Old 28-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Unregistered

Possible security leak in 5800 email

When configuring your email account, you should be aware that it will send your credentials to Nokia's server even if your email account has nothing to do with Nokia.

Check this page for more details:
mobilitics.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-nokia-wants-my-email-password.html

Old 28-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Unregistered

Yes, the email setup feature tries to use Nokia servers to auto configure your pop3/smtp settings.

No matter, Profimail is streets ahead.

Old 28-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Configuring your settings shouldn't require your username and password though, that sounds very very odd if it's true. I'm going to try and look into this if I possibly can.

The most that Nokia's setup wizard should be sending to its own servers is your address's domain name, that's all that's required for looking up the appropriate settings.

EDIT: Sorry, did you mean that Nokia themselves log onto people's (for example) Gmail accounts to switch on their IMAP or POP service? If that's the case Nokia really should be asking for user consent before starting the wizard, because that kind of action doesn't sound legal without consent.