All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-03-2009, 04:17 PM

fuzzuy is on a distinguished road
Question Slow GPS LOCK ON NEW FIRM WARE VER 31.0.015 !

Hello evry one,
I have this N95 8GB phone and I recently upgraded my firm ware to 31.0.015
RM-320 now ever since i have changed this from 21.0...... firm ware i am having trouble geting satlleite locks in GarminXT specially when i am driving it takes for ever I know typically it is hard to get locked on satelites while you are driving but with my good old 21.0.... ver i use to get that locks with in 1 minute now if i have to get locked than i have to stop and wait for that or i can be almost on the location when it got it's lock i tried closing all application and kicking it start by various methods but no luck yet, so can any one please help me on this thanks in advance

Old 03-03-2009, 04:26 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzuy View Post
Hello evry one,
RM-320 now ever since i have changed this from 21.0...... firm ware i am having trouble geting satlleite locks
Did you perform a BACKUP before the firmware upgrade and a RESTORE afterwards?

If so, format your internal memory with *#7370#

It's never a good idea to perform a RESTORE after a firmware upgrade (it's safer to do a PC Suite Synchronise operation instead)

Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 PM

Actually i did that but i did not backup my memory card files only thing i did backup is my contacts and these are the one which restore also so do i still need to do that ?? thanks in advance

Old 03-03-2009, 05:32 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Actually i did that but i did not backup my memory card files only thing i did backup is my contacts and these are the one which restore also so do i still need to do that ?? thanks in advance
If you only used PC Suite Synchronise or only restored Contacts from a BACKUP then the restore should not be the cause of your GPS issues.

If you do format memory, it's only the internal memory - no need to format Mass Memory.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 PM

Yes that exactly what i have done that backup my contacts using PC suit and then restore those using pc suit so any other help or hints how to get satelits lock quickly ??? any one thanks.....

Old 04-03-2009, 12:55 AM

Ronaldo-9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hello evry one,
RM-320 now ever since i have changed this from 21.0...... firm ware i am having trouble geting satlleite locks in GarminXT specially when i am driving it takes for ever I know typically it is hard to get locked on satelites while you are driving but with my good old 21.0.... ver i use to get that locks with in 1 minute now if i have to get locked than i have to stop and wait for that or i can be almost on the location when it got it's lock i tried closing all application and kicking it start by various methods but no luck yet, so can any one please help me on this thanks in advance
I updated to the same firmware and my GPS lock is now seconds. This includes garminXT/google maps and nokia maps.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:51 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Check the following:-

Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Positioning > Positioning methods ... ensure that Assisted GPS, Integrated GPS and Network based are ticked then go Back and select Positioning server and make sure that Access point is defined and Server address is supl.nokia.com

Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo-9 View Post
I updated to the same firmware and my GPS lock is now seconds. This includes garminXT/google maps and nokia maps.

Hello,

Do you use data while you are acquiring GPS lock or with out data as I don't have data plan so i don't use data to get lock ???

Old 05-03-2009, 08:23 AM

Wombler is on a distinguished road
You use data with 'Assisted GPS'.

I'm in the same position as yourself as don't have a data plan so I have 'Assisted GPS' turned off.

Wombler
Ads

Old 05-03-2009, 09:10 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
I've just tried an experiment, not very scientific I'm afraid.

I have an N95-2, firmware V31 with Maps V3. I timed from the appearance of the globe until I got a lock with Assisted GPS turned on. This took 9-12 sec's.
I then turned off Assisted GPS and repeated the "experiment" and actually found that I got a lock in 6-9 sec's.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:46 PM

Ronaldo-9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hello,

Do you use data while you are acquiring GPS lock or with out data as I don't have data plan so i don't use data to get lock ???
Yes i have a data plan now but i used to lock in 1-3 before now quick but Nokia maps locks in seconds but does not show any data being used in the icon.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:54 PM

srw985 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
I've just tried an experiment, not very scientific I'm afraid.

I have an N95-2, firmware V31 with Maps V3. I timed from the appearance of the globe until I got a lock with Assisted GPS turned on. This took 9-12 sec's.
I then turned off Assisted GPS and repeated the "experiment" and actually found that I got a lock in 6-9 sec's.
Thats because it remembers your position for when it was on.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
You use data with 'Assisted GPS'.

I'm in the same position as yourself as don't have a data plan so I have 'Assisted GPS' turned off.

Wombler
NO you don't use data in Assisted GPS as I have turned on and never got chrage for any data usage and even data counter shows no usage ??? so still waiting for trick there help please

Old 06-03-2009, 08:35 AM

Wombler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
NO you don't use data in Assisted GPS as I have turned on and never got chrage for any data usage and even data counter shows no usage ??? so still waiting for trick there help please
Assisted GPS accesses a GPS Location Server via an Internet connection to retrieve up to date GPS almanac data (the current position of the satelite in the sky and its velocity etc).

There is very little in the way of data actually transferred but a data connection is required nonetheless.

If you want to know how it works in greater detail check out here.

Wombler

Old 06-03-2009, 01:19 PM

odeseus is on a distinguished road
I read a post in a forum somewhere a person soldered a small cable to their GPS antenna and packed it into the housing. They said they were able to receive a lock in seconds afterward even indoors. I have been unable to find it again which is a shame because they included photos. The concept is fairly straight forward however if you are willing to take the risk.