All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 PM

Pawlee is on a distinguished road
my god that looks amazin... but dual led flash?! WHY!?

is NOTHING going to top my n82!? (don't point at other brands, i can't handle anything but nokia)

still, by the time thats rollin round to release if i'm going out of contract i might have to

Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 PM

AVR4000 is on a distinguished road
It seems to be a very interesting device. A convergence between the E-series (qwerty) and the N-series (multimedia, N-Gage and so on).

The display resolution and the N-series branding indicates an "E97" with higher rez display and the same slide/tilt formfactor is probable.

I think Nokia tries the concept with this before they roll out the same form factor as the next Communicator. Its very nice to have the laptop mode intact with the N97.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:50 PM
chris101

Cool

has anyone seen the presentation video, especially where the person flips through the menu? I think it is really poor to see, how nokia still is not able to build a fluid, well done ui, which runs smoothly and responds quickly. i have a n95 8gb and am really disappointed of how bumpy the menu loads and how not fluid the transitions are from menu to menu. sadly this also seems to be the case in the new n97. if nokia wouldn't have this big market share, symbian would already be bankrupt.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 PM

ogami_ito is on a distinguished road
I got to say...holy crap. It looks good.

I keep on almost putting my hand in the cookie jar and buying an iPhone. The iPhone LOOKS fun. But then, I focus on lack of good camera/ bluetooth keyboard / landscape text / copy+paste. And then I think...I don't need it...its fun. Then I look around and see the richy guys with their iPhone...doing less with it than I do with my S40 phone... and I think...nah.

Now this comes around. And it looks fun. It looks BETTER than the iPhone. The dimensions are right. Longer, yes, but narrower, so easier to pocket.

I'm still going to get a 5800...can't plan to spend $500 plus in today's economy. But I really like this phone.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:57 PM

talhamid is on a distinguished road
Well, you are right - they will NEVER enable all NSeries features on a lesser phone like 5800. But what ARE those features? The Ovi services - well they are on their way for 5800 too. N-Gage? Not that I am a huge fan, but likewise. A nicer photo gallery? There are plenty of third party apps to fix that .

Thing is, 5800 is also being positioned as a convergence device (what with wi fi, GPS, motion sensor, TV Out etc). Of course hardware wise it will lag behind N97, and I can bet all I have that N97 will sport a faster processor and much more RAM, on top of the bigger screen, keyboard, higher memory and better camera it already has. For those for whom the above three factors matter, they'll gladly shell out for this. People like me, though, will need a satisfactory answer to whether they are enough to justify the N97's price/weight/hype overload. This is precisely the reason why a device like 6120c was such a success.
Ads

Old 02-12-2008, 01:59 PM

sandy_1988 is on a distinguished road
Does it have hardware acceleration? This is going to be an issue in the upcoming months, when N-Gage games go accelerated.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Unregistered

Great. Another phone not designed for 3g in the US. No UTMS 850 ????

Old 02-12-2008, 04:06 PM

Dynite is on a distinguished road
As with most releases I expect there will be a USA specific version.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Unregistered

ho, ho, ho, where's the fm transmitter?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Unregistered

Okay, wtf is with that keyboard, the space bar would piss me off.

And really Nokia, S60 is so antiquated, it's time to ditch it.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:49 PM

Hooligooner is on a distinguished road
OK, still waiting for the "we're not Apple biased at all, honest" BBC news site to tell us all about it.

Hang on, a new blog entry...

"Can the MAC catch a cold", well who'd 'ave thunk it.

Last edited by Hooligooner; 02-12-2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Evident

Old 02-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Unregistered

Screen Transitions

Was hoping the screen transitions would stay in, but all hands on videos seem to have them missing. I think to compete with iPhone, this does need a bit more eye candy.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Unregistered

Great looking device with a load of really cool features but one huge problem. It wont be available for 6 months and probably not widely available for 9 - 12 months. That is a lifetime in phone development terms.

Apple, Google, RIM, HTC and even Microsoft will have new products by then.

I remember Sony Ericsson announcing the Xperia X1 at the beginning of this year (which funnily enough resembles the N97 a little - without all the features) it drew a lot of attention and people waited and waited for the release - it came out last month and was a bit of an anti climax because everyone had moved on.

If the N97 was released today or in the next month i would buy it without a doubt, but it will be interesting to see what else will be available next summer.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:04 PM
jcompagner

Smile

"hmm complains about the size?"
Its smaller then the E90 that i have! (that i can carry easily)

"qwerty keyboard never used by anybody?"
What?? Why is it that everybody around me has 2 kinds of phones? E90 or E71??
Because of the qwerty keyboard!! (around me family/friends/coworkers have, i count 5 E90 and 5 E71, yes all guys, girls dont seem to like those 2 )

But this is for me a serious replacement for the E90, cant wait to test it in my hands how the keyboard is, and if it sits up right when i have it slide open.
It should be stable when i place it down, so that i can still use smartpad in my car to navigate without horrible car holding stuff.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:32 PM

RadicalSatDude is on a distinguished road
If Nokia throws in a micro DisplayPort for the next release, connect that to a computer monitor, paired via bluetooth keyboard and mouse... I think I could learn to live without my desktop computer then.