All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-12-2008, 12:13 PM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
three year old N93 beats it on video capture
Indeed the Nokia folks should put in a pair of stereo mikes. (Nevertheless, it's missing from all the other phones.)

Quote:
the year old N82 beats it on photography, etc.
Xenon flashes take far more space to add because of the need for a capacitor. Prolly this is why they've been left out from this model too.

Nevertheless, if it receives exactly the same camera as the N95 (with lens protection - unlike in N95 8GB / N96), then, I'll be very pleased. It's still way better than the iPhone's camera or that of any Windows Mobile handset. (See my direct N95 vs. iPhone 3G photo quality comparison at http://www.smartphonemag.com/iphone/node/179 , in section "1.11 The built-in camera" if interested.)

Old 02-12-2008, 12:18 PM

talhamid is on a distinguished road
I agree. Its size, weight and form factor will mean that it's a niche product (also indicated by omission of Xenon flash). That said, it's a brilliant (if hardly original) form factor.

I also completely agree with a friend previously who said he needed a detachable keyboard. I also have a N82, and I think as a device all it lacks is a higher-res, bigger screen, a touch screen and better keyboard. A detachable keyboard (which might come with a battery pack to enhance the life of the phone it attaches to) will solve that problem. Anyone at Nokia listening?

Meanwhile, I stick to my point: this is making 5800 look better by the minute, since all the software features will make it to 5800 in due time ;-), whether by Nokia or third parties

Old 02-12-2008, 12:29 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by talhamid View Post
Meanwhile, I stick to my point: this is making 5800 look better by the minute, since all the software features will make it to 5800 in due time ;-), whether by Nokia or third parties
I disagree with that. Nokia wouldn't be so stupid that they would enable all N-series features on a non N-series device.

I believe that this phone will be the ultimate convergance device, the N95 went close but fell short in a few areas but this one fills in them gaps.

I am interested in processor specs of this device.

Did I imagine it or did the hardware specs list conductive touchscreen for period??

Old 02-12-2008, 12:32 PM

Enfors is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, optical zoom, yes, but also the fact that video on the N93 is much clearer than on the newer devices: N79, N85, N96 and presumably N97 all suck when it comes to video. It may be VGA but it's not fit for purpose yet, in my opinion. I wish Nokia would come clean about video capture and what's going on. The current situation is insane.
I was not aware of this - that's terrible!

Being a father of two (4 and 5 years old), always having a reasonably good video camera in my pocket was a major selling point of the N93 for me. I'd hate to think that a new device 3 years later would be worse in this regard.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:33 PM

At last a nice announcement! I wouldn't have bought the N96 (price; no use for DVB-H; no touch) or the lower-end 5800 (mostly because of the bad camera). I am especially pleased with their including stereo speakers - it is probably the best feature of most new(er) N-series models.

I, however, think

- they should include a D-pad. Learn from the problems of all the D-pad-less WinMo devices (most importantly, the Touch HD); particularly because this will be an N-Gage-compliant device. There's a lot of "dead space" on the surface (even more than on the iPhone); put a D-pad in there!

Anyone that has been played native iPhone games requiring D-pad emulation (in, for example, game console emulators) knows emulating a d-pad will always result in a far worse gaming experience.

By putting the keyboard D-pad on the front bezel (and removing it from the slide-out keyboard), they could also enlarge the keys to allow for easier touch typing.

- they should either increase the screen size (or decrease that of the body). Just look at the HTC Touch HD - HTC have managed to do this.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yade View Post
Did I imagine it or did the hardware specs list conductive touchscreen for period??
Nope, it's not a capacitive touchscreen (like that of the iPhone); it's a plain stupid resistive one (like all WinMo devices or the BlackBerry Storm). This sucks in a lot of respects (except for using with a stylus or any sharp pointing device)... I bet it doesn't have multitouch either.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys View Post
- they should include a D-pad. Learn from the problems of all the D-pad-less WinMo devices (most importantly, the Touch HD); particularly because this will be an N-Gage-compliant device. There's a lot of "dead space" on the surface (even more than on the iPhone); put a D-pad in there!

Anyone that has been played native iPhone games requiring D-pad emulation (in, for example, game console emulators) knows emulating a d-pad will always result in a far worse gaming experience.

By putting the keyboard D-pad on the front bezel (and removing it from the slide-out keyboard), they could also enlarge the keys to allow for easier touch typing.

- they should either increase the screen size (or decrease that of the body). Just look at the HTC Touch HD - HTC have managed to do this.
There is not much dead space. And while people are already mumbling about the size, you want a bigger screen, and a Dpad on the front. It's just not feasible.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:39 PM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
A nice device, but not something for me. Prefer smaller S60 candybars, like 6120c or E51.

But I think it's strange that this device "only" have bluetooth 2.0. The Nokia 6260 which was announced last week have bluetooth 2.1.

Also curious about the hardware in this device. Anyone knows what CPU it got?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfors View Post
I was not aware of this - that's terrible!

Being a father of two (4 and 5 years old), always having a reasonably good video camera in my pocket was a major selling point of the N93 for me. I'd hate to think that a new device 3 years later would be worse in this regard.
Don't forget, however, that the above list doesn't contain the N95, which has excellent video recording quality (except for the lack of a pair of stereo microphones).

Old 02-12-2008, 12:41 PM

genXhippie is on a distinguished road
I would gladly replace my N82 with the N97. But, the absence of a xenon(once again :rollseyes: ) and the cheap marketing gimmick " nHD" leaves me waiting to see what other phones come down the pipeline.

Instead, Nokia continues with its reluctance to provide real high resolution: 800 X 480 pixels, such as the xperia, which I might add has a smaller 3 inch screen too. This same reluctance is evident in the rare appearances(very spotty) of a xenon flash on Nokia's phones in general imo.

Other than those 2 big complaints, I like the N97 very much.

Last edited by genXhippie; 02-12-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Amusingly, the Register article has now been changed. It seems someone realised, or was made aware of, how biased it sounded.
Ads

Old 02-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Unregistered

is it just me or does this new device include the ability to use photos as a full background just like in desktops? take a look at the bike on Anssi's N97. please confirm...

Old 02-12-2008, 01:02 PM

RadicalSatDude is on a distinguished road
Phone Arena - comparison - Nokia N97, Nokia E71, Apple iPhone 3G, RIM BlackBerry Bold

Just for kicks...

Phone Arena - comparison results - Nokia N97, Nokia E71, Apple iPhone 3G, RIM BlackBerry Bold 9000

Old 02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Unregistered

Battery?

Anyone know what size battery is in the thing? I would thing all that processing would need something big.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:12 PM

elaverick is on a distinguished road
The big things for me here are the size (the top of it seems a bit swollen), is the touch screen actually any good - depressing to say but for many years to come we will be comparing things to the iPod Touch/ iPhone, and finally, how is that keyboard, I still compare all mini-keyboard to the old Psion 5 and Psion Revo and for me this one looks as though its not going to have a lot of tactility to it.