All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-11-2008, 10:39 AM

Kikura is on a distinguished road
N85 slow downloading over wi-fi

Hi.

I seem to be getting very slow download speeds through my wi-fi connection with this new phone.

I have done a direct comparison with my old N95 and downloading via the Podcasting app Web and BBC iplayer is probably less than half that I was getting on the old handset.

Streaming video takes and absolute age to get going. It sits there at 0% for about a minute before it starts to load but then plays fine.

Thinking it was a problem with my router, I reset it back to default settings and re-created the access point on the phone but noting has changed.

Has anyone had similar problems on their FP2 phone or have any idea of a fix for this?

It's such a shame because I LOVE this phone but this driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nick.

Old 23-11-2008, 08:42 PM

ffcphone is on a distinguished road
Nick,

I downloaded a couple of podcasts from the BBC on Friday late afternoon via our office WiFi (8Mbps) and it seemed to download just a quickly as I recall from my N95 previously. In fact, as I left work I downloaded a further BBC podcast via 3G and that downloaded somewhat quicker than previously.

That doesn't help you I know but it's my two penneth worth.

F

Old 26-11-2008, 12:29 AM

Thanks ffcphone. That's encouraging.

Well, I've managed to speed things up somewhat generally. Don't ask how, all I know is I tried meddling with a load of settings on the router and things seem much better now (might be something to do with changing security settings or giving the phone a static IP not really sure).

However, downloading shows from BBC iPlayer is still VERY slow (around an hour for a 50 minute programme). Could this be to do with the bandwith the BBC have allocated for the S60 service?

Old 26-11-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikura View Post
Thanks ffcphone. That's encouraging.

Well, I've managed to speed things up somewhat generally. Don't ask how, all I know is I tried meddling with a load of settings on the router and things seem much better now (might be something to do with changing security settings or giving the phone a static IP not really sure).

However, downloading shows from BBC iPlayer is still VERY slow (around an hour for a 50 minute programme). Could this be to do with the bandwith the BBC have allocated for the S60 service?
As I understand it, downloading TV shows from the iPlayer is very much dependent on network traffic, your connection speed and also, from which source you are getting the stream and their internet connection speeds etc. Remember, the iPlayer system works like a grid. The BBC has the master versions of all the streams on the system but once someone has downloaded something, their PC will then act as a feeder for that stream (providing their iPlayer is set up that way and/or running). This reduces your total download time.

On the PC version of iPlayer, you'll often see several sources providing you with the same stream, especially popular programmes. It's not uncommon for a 30 or 60 minute show to download in under 5 minutes in my experience to a PC.

F

Old 26-11-2008, 01:21 PM

Incidentally, how have you got the iPlayer application working on your N85 and getting it to download. Even on my N95 I could get something to download but then it produced an error message saying the file format wasn't supported. I thought only the N96 supported downloads and actual "off-line" playback of those downloads?

F

Old 26-11-2008, 09:58 PM

I've managed to get the iPlayer to download on my N85 as reported elsewhere so others know it works.

I see what you mean about so downloading. I just downloaded Basil Brush, a 25 minute programme, and must have taken 10-20 minutes or so.

Incidentally, I take it you realise you can download "mobile" versions of content directly from your PC.

F

Old 27-11-2008, 07:17 PM

ffcphone.

Glad you figured out the iplayer thing on the handset, it's great!

Also pleased to hear that they are downloading just a slowly for you, which must mean there's nothing wrong with my phone.

I'm going to try the "mobile" version you mention now, because in theory this should be higher quality video too.

Cheers
Ads

Old 06-10-2010, 05:40 AM

Faisal369 is on a distinguished road
Dear All,

I recently bought N95 8gb from my frnd. Actually i am having a problem whenever i download a file or application in my N95 8b Browser, i could not start. Message comes "Disconnected". I use GPRS. Browsing is ok but downloading problem.

Can anubody tell me what is the problem and wats the remedy?
Edit/Delete Message