All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-08-2008, 09:48 AM

hotnuts21 is on a distinguished road
N95 8gb and the Iplayer Radio stream

With the olympics I really want to keep up with everything that is going on and with my N95 the only choice I have is to use the radio, but its a FM radio and the Olympics are being covered in the uk on Radio 5 live! Not a problem, navigate to the page, click listen live and enjoy - at least that was the theory!!

I visit the Radio 5 Live page and click the 'Listen Live link'

This informs me its openening a new window for the iPlayer
The new window is titled iPlayer Radio Console
With an error message in the middle saying "please first install real player"

But it does not
1, use the flash player I believe is built into the 8gb browser
2, automatically open Real Player to play the stream :(

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what settings I should check or how to get the iplayer to open real player automatically?

I have used the direct link mentioned in another post to radio 5, but that just times out I beleive because they swopped to using the Iplayer since that thread was created.

Paul

Old 15-08-2008, 10:48 AM

DevonHammer is on a distinguished road
The simplest way to get BBC Internet radio is to go to Gallery, go to Streaming Links and add a new link.

Five Live is:
rtsp://rmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive-acl/ev7/live24/radio5/live/r5_tl_g2.ra

Five Live Sports Extra is:
rtsp://rmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive-acl/ev7/live24/radio5/sportsextra/live/r5sx_tl_g2.ra

The more complicated way is to fool the BBC website to think that you have an iPhone. Search the forum for iPlayer - the article is about Page 3. I haven't tried this for radio, but it works for TV.
Ads

Old 15-08-2008, 10:57 AM

Many thanks I will try that.

Im not sure if the iphone 'hack' will work but I will take a look. From what I understand on the BBC blogs, the radio is streamed differently to the TV and also it delivers realplayer only to selected 'users' I presume it checks what kind of system is requesting the iplayer and delivers accordingly. Hence why the listen in standalone realplayer is missing from BBC now.

Many thanks again for your help I will try all

Paul

Old 15-08-2008, 11:15 AM

I have manually entered those URLs in the streaming section and it just trys to connect and eventually times out!!

I presume it does not need a 3g connection for this, anywhere else I should check my connections? For example how do I find out which connection the realplayer uses as it doesnt ask me to choose one like everything else does.