All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 AM

Tomahawk is on a distinguished road
3rd Party Program Install Problems

I am having problems installing 3rd party disctionary software on my e90 running firmware v07.40.1.2, 03-10-2007, RA-6, Nokia E90 (01). I keep ghetting a message “unable to install !” and the application terminates and autoexits.

Can anybody help? Is there some setting on the e90 that could be blocking the installation? The new girlfriend is french so I have very powerful incentive to get a dictionary working on the e90 !!

Below is one example that I have just done from the beginning and recorded on here step-by-step.

Thanks, Richard

I went to:
http://www.slovoed.com/French-English.html

I selected "mobile dictionary" and got a page to select manufacturer (Nokia_E-series) and then selected device (e90) to get:
http://www.slovoed.com/S60_3rd_Editi...h-English.html

I selected “try” and downloaded a zip file:
Merriam-Webster's_EnglFren_FrenEngl_for_S60_3

I double clicked on the zip file in Windows explorer, drilled down to the program folder (attached) and found three files:
Merriam-Webster's_EnglFren_FrenEngl_for_S60_3 - this is version 2.03(0)
Morphology_module_for_S60_3
Merriam-Webster_v_3_0_for_S60_3 - this is version 3.00(3)

I hooked up my E90 to the PC (running Windows XP professional and selected “PC Suite” connection mode. I got a balloon telling me that my E90 was connected.

I double clicked “Morphology_module_for_S60_3“ to run it and got a Nokia PC Suite dialogue box saying “Do you want to install the application to the phone?” I selected “yes”

Nokia Application Installer dialogue box appeared saying “Finish the installation on the phone user interface or cancel”

On the phone (inside screen) a dialogue box had appeared saying “Install Morphology Module”. Options were “yes” (selected) or “no”

Another dialogue box appeared
“Details
Name
Morphology module
Version
2.04(0)
…….
Certificates
View details”

Options are “continue” or “cancel”
When continue selected, msg “unable to install !” appears and the application terminates and autoexits.

When I download the files on to the phone microSD card and try to install from there, exactly the same thing happens.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 AM

jonmcg is on a distinguished road
I have installed the Spanish version (several times due to firmware upgrades) but never install the morphology module, just the other two (engine and dictionary).
Have you tried installing the other bits first?
I have just installed the morphology bit with no problems but after the engine and dictionary.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 AM

Yes - tried them all individually and several aother alternatives. Contacted slovoed and they weren't able to sort it either. I suspect the e90 - perhaps the f/w upgrade to 7.40 rather than the dictionary.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:14 AM

jonmcg is on a distinguished road
It has worked for me on 7.28, 7.40 and 210 firmware. The only specific thing I do is install on the memory card. This was an issue with an app in the past despite what the company said.
Other than that the only thing I do different is use PC Suite-> Install Applications to do the install rather than double clicking the sis file but have no ideas if that might make a difference.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 AM

I upgraded the firmware to 210.34.75 and the install works fine now. I suspect something was corrupted on the v7.40 install.
Ads

Old 12-09-2008, 11:37 AM

entwisi is on a distinguished road
I had issues with some apps that wouldn't install(not all though), doing a hard reset fixed it. did you do a reset as part of teh firmware upgarde? if you did it may have just been that that was stopping it working before

Old 19-09-2008, 01:36 AM

navendukumar is on a distinguished road
Dearsir
Please helpme with small query how to install java prograame having file extensionjad or jar i ma not able to install any java prograame on my nokia e90 please tell me ho to install and what to do i am easily able to install sis file but not a single java filr having extension jad or tar pl help me

Old 24-09-2008, 07:34 PM

entwisi is on a distinguished road
Jar files just need to be sent to teh phone by bluetooth or even just loaded on teh card and installed from there.

.jad files aren't full programs they are descriptors that some phones need to install a .jar

.tar files are archives(like a zip file) except that they aren't compressed, just winzip or similar to extract teh files from teh archive.