All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The N95 no longer 'over-priced geek-fodder'...

Echoing many of my own thoughts in recent months, Nokia Duck has come out with an N95 retrospective, looking at the device (in video, text and pics) with latest firmware with fresh eyes, concluding that "The N95 has metamorphosised from over-priced geek fodder into a reasonably-priced quality product. After a year and a half on the market it's no longer the cutting-edge headline maker it once was, but that glamour has been replaced by competency." Well worth a read.

Read on in the full article.

Old 18-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Unregistered

Most of that rings true but the slider working loose is still a problem.

As an N95-1 user for over a year now I've been watching the horizon carefully and there is nothing in the pipeline that would tempt me to change. The N96 even, has no special extra function to set it apart. The only thing that I find missing from the N95-1 is a xenon flash like the N82 and as mentioned in the article, a higher res display. 2009 maybe, as long as the next gen phones don't go oversize in terms of the physical package.

Old 18-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Unregistered

The N95 is free on a 20 per month contract in the UK now. I've seen deals from both O2 and 3. That's a bargain!
Ads

Old 18-06-2008, 12:08 PM
dergal2k

Exclamation Yeah but 3 are NOT supporting the latest firmware ...

Time to go elsewhere? I seriously promoted 3 in the past as they were the best, most cutting edge company, but their long term support for their customers is seriously lacking...

V21 was released WAY back in March.

Old 18-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Unregistered

the slider mechanism on N95 was a problem, but for some reason, i encountered some of my friends n95, and the slider did not have a problem, while some do, i don't know why not all of them are the same...
Steve, do you know if N96's slider has a problem like on N95 or not? i really need to know this, thanks

Old 18-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
I wrote this review with a loaned N95 which has clearly seen a fair amount of wear and tear, but the slider mechanism and phone itself still work perfectly, so my N95 at least seems to be pretty durable.

I can't speak for all the N95s ever made of course...
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 18-06-2008, 03:57 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
I realised that the N95 had gone mainstream recently when I was trying the 'walking route' option in Maps recently and passed a young woman coming the other way who was doing the same thing. Pretty soon, town and city centres are going to be full of people walking around and bumping into each other holding N95s in front of them.

Old 18-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Unregistered

I agree

I totally agree

Old 19-06-2008, 09:21 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
GPS was already available inbuilt in expensive cars and otherwise as a separate device but the credit goes to Nokia for making it easily available for use by General Public.

Old 19-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
GPS was already available inbuilt in expensive cars and otherwise as a separate device but the credit goes to Nokia for making it easily available for use by General Public.
All I meant in the review was that the N95 was the first Nokia device to have built-in GPS, I wasn't claiming that Nokia made the first GPS.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets