All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-04-2008, 03:17 AM

RedHandLush is on a distinguished road
Bose Mobile On-Ear Headphones Not Supported - N95?

I have NAM N95-3 and just purchased a pair of $200.00 Bose On-Ear Mobile Headphones. It comes standard with 3.5mm plug which I assumed would work brilliantly with the N95. Wrong! I plug it in my phone says "not supported". Any ideas? I should of probably got the $179 "non-mobile" huh?

Old 10-04-2008, 04:14 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
well what does the connector look like? technically (i would think) the version you would want is the regular, not mobile, since the n95 uses the standard 3.5mm jack for any device and headphone out there. maybe the mobile version is something special and hence not compatible?

Old 10-04-2008, 04:20 AM

crewmeal is on a distinguished road
Perhaps you should have checked first before forking out. Some Bose phones work perfectly with the N95. I bought some Koss hi-fi headphones in Australia back in 2001 and they work beautifully with any Nokia phone that supports music players.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:20 AM

Casperuk is on a distinguished road
not to sound stupid, have you used the wired remote?

Old 10-04-2008, 04:26 PM

RedHandLush is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the response. It looks like the wired voice remote that comes with the headphones is the problem. I ran down to the electronics store and bought a 3.5mm (1/4") audio cable extension and that worked. I basically lose all the "voice" functionality, but at least the headphones work. Unfortunate.

Just FYI the mobile on-ear headphones are basically the standard on-ear, but they fold up and have 3.5mm adapters to fit multiple phones. The wired voice remote plugs into the base of the headphones so it's just a matter of finding a voice remote that works.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...e_oe/index.jsp

Old 11-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Im not much of an audiophile, but arent Bose headphones a bit of overkill on an N95? Or is the sound quality from the phone good enough??

Last edited by kontraband; 11-04-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:00 AM

never have too much sound

i found if i plugged the wired remote into the headphone socket of my PC it sounded crap, have you tired another nokia wired remote?
Ads

Old 11-04-2008, 01:32 PM

GCorpes is on a distinguished road
I've ditched the wired remote and just plugged my Sennheizer headphones into the phone. Changing the 'default accessory' to headphones means I don't have that annoying dialog when I plug it in and it works great as a handsfree with the phone's built in mic. I just shove the phone in a shirt pocket or above the sun visor in the car.

More annoyingly, the plug isn't compatible with Iphone hands free otherwise i'd get one of these: http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm_s...55?Open&print=

Old 11-04-2008, 02:27 PM

those Sennheizer's are do they work with the wired remote?

could just get these?

Old 17-04-2008, 09:52 AM

GCorpes is on a distinguished road
Any standard headphones work with the wired remote, I use these: http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.n..._series_500830 ipod/walkman headphones, they plug into the wired remote or straight into the phone. To be honest I rarely plug them into the wired remote, just too much hassle. The great thing about the N95 is that it can use quality headphones in combination with the phone's mic. Something i've wanted ever since i've had a phone with a tuner and standard crappy drop-out-of-your-ears headsets. I've even used them like this in the car. It does mean that when walking around I end up holding the phone upsidedown like a CB mic or maybe drop it into my shirt pocket but then, I spend a few minutes a day making calls while I spend several hours listening to mp3s and the tuner.

Old 17-04-2008, 10:05 AM

I've found i use the remote a lot more than i used to.

the nokia headphones are shit, i have a pair of old Phillips earphones and they are so much better