All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-04-2008, 02:33 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Ah, well that would be fairly easy with flash.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:15 AM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
Nah, nothing so complicated.

Just a series of clickable images (got from screenshots on the phone). You click on the address menu, it brings you to that screen, with the relevant buttons. And so on.

I doubt very much you would have to have copyright for that.

And I would go through and make sure its accurate. Its not hard, just time consuming. However how to display this on a webpage is well beyond me.
I doubt that would give you any copyright issues. It would basically be the same as doing a review with screenshots.

You would just have to put in a statement acknowledging that all trademarks and copyrights remain the property of the relevant software manufacturer.

Old 24-09-2008, 08:48 PM

tmgp is on a distinguished road
still no news? tomtom is dead for symbian?

it's a pitty since there has been a major upgrade in teleatlas maps recently...

Old 25-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Fraid not. Theres nothing about it on the net, apart from a few leg pullers, and official word from TomTom is still 'We dont know.'

Old 16-11-2008, 07:08 PM

tmgp is on a distinguished road
Good and bad news:

Quote:
TomTom va lancer un nouveau logiciel de navigation GPS mobile début 2009

Nous l'annoncions dans nos colonnes il y a près d'un mois, le néerlandais TomTom a récemment constitué un nouveau pôle mobile ayant comme seul et unique but de fournir une nouvelle solution de navigation GPS pour les nouveaux téléphones et smartphones du marché.

D'ici la fin de l'année, ce seront une cinquantaine de salariés qui feront partie de ce pôle qui travaille dores et déjà sur la finalisation d'une version iPhone du logiciel TomTom Navigator. Cela ne signifie pas forcément qu'il sera référencé un jour sur l'App Store des iPod Touch ou iPhone mais cela montre l'intérêt retrouvé de TomTom sur ce segment de marché, longtemps abandonné par la marque.

D'autant plus que via des accords historiques, TomTom a continué de fournir le logiciel TomTom Navigator 7 aux seuls smartphones sous Windows Mobile de HTC, et encore, dans certains pays seulement. Toujours est-il qu'à l'occasion de la publication de ses résultats financiers, Harold Goddijn, le CEO de TomTom a précisé désormais vouloir « intensifier ses efforts dans le développement d'applications mobiles ».

Pour ce faire, ce dernier précise déjà offrir une solution de navigation « on-board » (cartes stockées en local) pour les smartphones HTC Touch Pro dans certains marchés et envisage de lancer une solution « off-board » dans le courant du premier semestre 2009. Dans ce dernier cas, le modèle économique est clairement axé sur la vente de licences auprès d'opérateurs mobiles, le logiciel devant télécharger par les airs les cartes et itinéraires pour fonctionner. De quoi générer de l'ARPU supplémentaire auprès des opérateurs mobiles.

Harold Goddijn rappelle enfin au sujet de la cannibalisation des PND par les mobiles GPS qu'il y a « beaucoup d'incertitudes par rapport aux modèles économiques » dans le domaine. Cela explique pourquoi « nous allons profiter de l'année 2009 pour faire un état des lieux du marché et voir ce que nous pouvons y faire ».
in mobinaute.com/175568-tomtom-lancer-logiciel-navigation-gps-mobile-debut-2009.html

Old 16-11-2008, 09:28 PM

GordonShowers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgp View Post
Good and bad news:

in mobinaute.com/175568-tomtom-lancer-logiciel-navigation-gps-mobile-debut-2009.html
The bad news being that this is an English speaking site.

Old 17-03-2009, 02:00 PM

chillerhippie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonShowers View Post
The bad news being that this is an English speaking site.
Translated Via Google
Quote:
We announced in our columns ago about a month, Dutch TomTom recently established a new division with mobile as the sole purpose of providing a new GPS navigation solution for new phones and smartphones on the market.

By the end of the year, will be about fifty employees that will be part of this cluster that already works on the finalization of an iPhone version of TomTom Navigator. It does not necessarily mean that it will be listed one day to the App Store for iPod Touch or iPhone but it shows the interest TomTom found in this market segment, long abandoned by the mark.

Especially as via historical agreements, TomTom has continued to provide software TomTom Navigator 7 only on Windows Mobile smartphones from HTC, and even in some countries. However on the occasion of the publication of its financial results, Harold Goddijn, CEO of TomTom said now would "intensify its efforts in developing mobile applications."

To do this, the states already offer a navigation solution on-board (maps stored locally) for HTC Touch Pro smartphone in some markets and plans to launch an off-board "in the first half 2009. In the latter case, the economic model is clearly focused on the sale of licenses to mobile operators, software to download the maps and air routes to work. Otherwise generate additional ARPU from mobile operators.

Harold Goddijn Lastly about the cannibalization of the PND GPS mobile that there is "considerable uncertainty over the economic models" in the field. This explains why "we'll take advantage of the years 2009 to make an inventory of the market and see what we can do"
Well, since I got my n95 8gb last year I made the switch from tomtom to garmin and all I can say is Garmin wipes the floor with TomTom!

Ok, TomTom is pretty and all of that, but in comparison to Garmin it does so little! I was issued a TomTom at work for doing deliveries across the UK and to be fair it did its job fine most of the time. The things it didn't do which Garmin does is, automatically redirects if there's any road closures / traffic / etc, update the speed camera database on the fly, automatically change to Night mode at Sunset (and visa versa) You can change the car icon on Garmin, check the weather in your current location and your destination, and the best thing of all (saved it until last ) is the fact you can tell it what type of vehicle your in so it knows which roads NOT to take you down. I.E - Low / Weak Bridges, Narrow Lanes etc etc, it really is the best GPS software out there at the moment!

Old 17-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Since that was posted last year, it's pretty safe to say TT are not doing anything.

Garmin is currently the best, however it does have massive flaws.

1. It's still locked to stupidly small memory cards.

2. You cannot upgrade the maps. You have to buy the whole package again at full price if you want the latest maps.

3. Theres no desktop client - you don't get the chance to use garmins PC software with the symbian version.

4. The frame rate is slower than other competitors.

Old 17-03-2009, 04:12 PM

chillerhippie is on a distinguished road
@ 1. nothing stopping you from copying it to a larger card

@ 3. I have had no problems using MapSource with my Garmin (on n95)

Old 18-03-2009, 10:41 PM

baliator is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillerhippie View Post
Translated Via Google

Well, since I got my n95 8gb last year I made the switch from tomtom to garmin and all I can say is Garmin wipes the floor with TomTom!

Ok, TomTom is pretty and all of that, but in comparison to Garmin it does so little! I was issued a TomTom at work for doing deliveries across the UK and to be fair it did its job fine most of the time. The things it didn't do which Garmin does is, automatically redirects if there's any road closures / traffic / etc, update the speed camera database on the fly, automatically change to Night mode at Sunset (and visa versa) You can change the car icon on Garmin, check the weather in your current location and your destination, and the best thing of all (saved it until last ) is the fact you can tell it what type of vehicle your in so it knows which roads NOT to take you down. I.E - Low / Weak Bridges, Narrow Lanes etc etc, it really is the best GPS software out there at the moment!
What Tom Tom has and Garmin has not (correct me if I'm wrong pls ):

1. It remembers my last inputs of addresses, I don't have to type everything.
2. With Tom Tom I can do route planning without having GPS signal.
3. I can rename my favorites.
4. Tom tom shows how the next crossroad looks.

Old 19-03-2009, 12:32 AM

Ronaldo-9 is on a distinguished road
Wink

I have actually used all the main symbian Sat Navs including:

TomTom6(was good at the time)
GarminXt (best s60 SatNav)
Route66 mobile 7 and 8 (not bad)
Copilot (didnt like it)
McGuider (pretty good)
Nokia maps ( pretty good)

GarminXT far the best and camera database is free. Recent update and western europe map has giving me loss in frames per second. But overall its the best.

Tomtom was good but old maps and slow moving made it useless for me.

McGuider is very smooth and could be top if it gets camera database from the app, i did find it used roads that was no entry even though it was new version of map.

Route66 is pretty good but it lacks full postcode search and looks outdated even though its not.

Nokia maps is now impressive in my opinion, maps are always upto date and the signal does not jump around when you are not moving. If it had camera warnings i'd use it more oftern.

copilot......used to confuse me with the "turn left" when it should say sligtly left like the others. didnt like this one at all.

removed TomTom and copilot from phone.

Old 19-03-2009, 12:41 AM

Ronaldo-9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by baliator View Post
What Tom Tom has and Garmin has not (correct me if I'm wrong pls ):

1. It remembers my last inputs of addresses, I don't have to type everything.
2. With Tom Tom I can do route planning without having GPS signal.
3. I can rename my favorites.
4. Tom tom shows how the next crossroad looks.
1.Garmin has recent journeys and also if u close the app without stoping a route it will continue.

2.You can plan a route with GPS disabled

3. You can save favorites and name them what you want.

4. not sure what you mean.

5. Garmin camera can be downloaded from the app, so you are always upto date.

6. Maps are newer.

7. looks modern.

8. GPS signal is better unlike TomtOm (normall used to jump around) even with BT GPS unit sarf3.

9. Shows Speed and average time etc.

10. Night and Day mode.

11. Can be switched without crashing to check text or take a call.

Old 19-03-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo-9 View Post
2.You can plan a route with GPS disabled

3. You can save favorites and name them what you want.

4. not sure what you mean.
2. How to do that? It says that GPS must be disabled and route active. But how could I activate route without being on the signal?

3. Found it, itwas bit trickier than with tom tom

4. See picture, I mean the thing which is in bottom left corner, I find it very useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr000002.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	4411  

Old 19-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillerhippie View Post
@ 1. nothing stopping you from copying it to a larger card

@ 3. I have had no problems using MapSource with my Garmin (on n95)
Copy protection, and legality for starters. And no, no going on about how you hacked it, not on this forum.

Mapsource is not able to run properly with anything from symbian devices. Even to get it to do basic stuff, it's a bit of a hash about.

And unless you either get it from dodgy sources, or have another garmin product, you don't get mapsource.
Ads

Old 24-03-2009, 04:48 PM

I'm starting to like Garmin more and more. But still have two questions.

1. How to show up distance to the finish?

2. And I still couldn't figure out how to do offline route planning