All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Sony Ericsson W960's OTHER music apps

Ewan continues his music-centric look at the latest Walkman-branded UIQ 3 smartphone from Sony Ericsson. In this part, having already looked at the main Walkman music player, he looks at all the OTHER music and audio-related applications. Do they work well and do they add significant value?

Read on in the full article.

Old 30-01-2008, 09:53 AM

ares is on a distinguished road
You do not mention RDS on the radio (that works very well), because nokia uses that crap visual radio no one seems to care about???

Old 30-01-2008, 03:54 PM

Arcade is on a distinguished road
What is RDS actually ? I keep hearing about it.

Old 30-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

What's RDS?

Hi Arcade

RDS stands for Radio Data System. It's what helps the phone display what station you are currently listening to. Unlike 'Visual Radio' it just displays the station name on the phone. However, if 'Visual Radio' is compatible with the station you listen to; it will show you info such as upcoming tracks, shows etc

Old 30-01-2008, 06:29 PM

ares is on a distinguished road
RDS is much more than that, and actually can show "info such as upcoming tracks, shows etc", WITHOUT needing a data connection...surprised???

Then, if you want to talk about usage of RDS vs Visual Radio in the world...well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System

I just think its really funny to talk about W960s radio and not make a single mention to the RDS feature...then you guys are surprised that some people say you are biased to Nokia/S60...go figure...if you want to look balanced, you have to act has such

Old 31-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Being 'biased towards S60' and 'knowing more about S60' are two totally different things.

Rafe, Ewan and I have chosen to use S60 day to day, so it's natural we know it so well. With UIQ 3, we're familiar and know how to do most things, but in this case you've uncovered a feature that neither of us had spotted etc. And in Ewan's defense, RDS doesn't work everywhere - I doubt it's even active in Scotland.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:53 PM

clive1 is on a distinguished road
how can u miss RDS? come on its advertised with it all the time, its more availbile than the useless visual radio to.
RDS is common place on any radio these days

Old 26-04-2008, 05:05 AM
kurt_karun

RDS is much more useful than visual radio. Not everyone has cheap data plans, so for some people visual radio is ruled out.
Ads

Old 11-09-2008, 02:06 AM
Unregistered

Hi, I'm new to UIQ but discover RDS on the 1st day with my phone. I think some people just choose to ignore it. That's strange.