All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia Internet Radio goes all official

Nokia has announced an official beta of 'Internet Radio', curiously only officially compatible with the N95 variants, N82 and N91. The full press release follows.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 03-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Gabriele

Works well on my E51, too!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Unregistered

2 versions

The N91 version works perfectly on my N75, but the other versions do not.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Aye, works on the E90 too, but only on the outer screen..
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 03-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Good grief Nokia, stop doing this limited compatibility thing.

We've seen it with N-Gage, Music Store, Video Manager and goodness knows what else.

It's really annoying, and it makes a mockery of S60 providing a common platform.

Why is it that third party developers can provide launch releases for literally dozens of S60 3rd models, yet Nokia's releases so often have some caveat that they only work with two or three models?

I don't buy this idea that it sells phones because most people aren't aware of these additional services when they buy their phone. What's more, with things like N-Gage and the Music Store they need every single customer they can get if they want to make them viable profitable services.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 03-12-2007, 04:00 PM

jonquirk is on a distinguished road
the N91 version works on my E61i, with one proviso: the soft keys are back to front. The legend for the left key appears below the right key and vice versa.

EDIT: Correction: the legends for the soft keys are ninety degrees out of place. The left legend is above the right key and the right legend is in the top right hand corner of the screen. This is probably a consequence of the e61i's landscape screen layout. May confuse a stupid person...

Last edited by jonquirk; 03-12-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
^^ Yep, it sure is annoying. Personally I've been waiting for an open Linux alternative to Symbian 9.x for ages, but:

1) Alot of promises have been made, but nothing has reached the consumer market yet.

2) Symbian phones have such great hardware features... And I predict it will take manufacturers of Linux phone quite some time to reach Nokia's standard...
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 03-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Banned

Nigma is on a distinguished road
Is there a way to manually add stations that are not in the available list?

Trying to find digitally imported.com

Old 03-12-2007, 04:25 PM

jonquirk is on a distinguished road
Manually adding stations

Options --> Add station manually can be used if you know the station's streaming server address.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yep, it sure is annoying. Personally I've been waiting for an open Linux alternative to Symbian 9.x for ages
I don't think the OS makes any difference in cases like this, because the problem is the attitude of the software developer (in this case Nokia).

What's frustrating is that these services COULD work on all (or almost all) S60 3rd devices, there's nothing technically to stop that. Why doesn't Nokia acknowledge this?

Incidentally, I can highly recommend Nokia's internet tablet series, especially now that it's getting an OS upgrade. They don't work with the phone network directly, but you can use a mobile as a Bluetooth modem for the tablet.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 03-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Guess Who

F*** Nokia! Maps, Mail for Exchange and more and more apps are artificially limited to the latest models to force you buy new hardware despite the same S60 v3 platform!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:39 PM

hargs48 is on a distinguished road
all the comments very valid but "fuck Nokia" is a bit too harsh don't you think...

Old 03-12-2007, 05:41 PM

srw985 is on a distinguished road
so can I finally listen to radio streams in the background?
at a decent volume?

cause normally in gallery if i get a call or text or do something else it shuts off, and its sooo quiet too

Old 03-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Yes, volume is nice and loud. On the compatibility issue, I think it's a case of "we've tested it on these devices, others may not work (yet)" - give them some time etc.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:59 PM

mmarks is on a distinguished road
This is a great app on my N95. I used to use virtual radio but thats gone now. All I have to do is add the sky.fm channels which strangly are not included in the channel list.
Im sure some software companies will be very annoyed though!!!