All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-11-2007, 06:42 PM

donjuan is on a distinguished road
i can't turn 3G off

I've got this device with a 6 month prescription from 3 Denmark and I'm very unhappy when it comes to the battery life.

Yesterday night I unplugged it from charger at 00:00, just before going to bed. I woke up at 7:00 and my battery status was showing 4 lines!?
Anyway, I did neglect the situation and went to my courses. I switched it on the silent mode and placed it back into my pocket. Well, surprise! At lunch break (11:45) my mobile was already off. I tried to switch it on, but no luck. It seems that a full charge wasn't enough to keep it alive for merely half a day.
The fact is that I didn't call anyone, the WiFi and bluetooth were off, 3G on, I didn't use the mobile in any way.

I did notice something. The 3G sign placed below the signal strength was altering between this state (as seen in the Screenshot0001.jpg) and the one when 3G is underlined with 2 parallel dashed lines (see Screenshot0003.jpg). Therefore, I thought that 3G must have been the cause for this fast battery depletion; so, I tried to turn 3G off, but my device doesn't present this option. Under «Tools» | «Settings» | «Phone» | «Network» i have just 2 options: «Operator selection» and «Cell info display» (see attachment).
The 'Network mode' that is supposed to allow me to set the device to GSM isn't visible. The firmware version is 12.0.0.13. Did 3 Denmark remove this option? If yes, shall I debrand my mobile to have this option available?

Note that I have unlocked it and now I'm using it in the Sonofon Network.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0001.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	3919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0002.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	3920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0003.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	3922  

Last edited by donjuan; 21-11-2007 at 10:33 PM.

Old 21-11-2007, 08:39 PM

Quakester2000 is on a distinguished road
Three remove this option in the UK too, it means that it connects to the 3G network even in the weakest signal areas, it saves them money as where their 3G network has a weak signal it will still get used, it only switches to 2g mode when it isnt available. The best way to get round this is flash the phone with a generic firmware.

Also on your picture 3 its showing that packed data is in wait mode like its waiting to connect, this wastes power. On a normal firmware this can be turned off well on normal firmwares

Tools / Settings / Connection / Packet Data / Packet Data Connect ( Select When Needed)

Old 21-11-2007, 11:06 PM

Mithent is on a distinguished road
3 only have a 3G network - you have to roam onto someone else's 2G network if you're using 2G. This loses 3 money, so they're very keen that you don't do it unless there is honestly no 3G coverage. Even if you switch to generic firmware, they may still notice you're not using your phone in 3G mode since it's never on their network, and complain about it.

Old 21-11-2007, 11:23 PM

Hi Quakester2000,
Thanks for your valuable feedback. I'll try to look around and find the necessary info regarding to n95 flashing.
I'd be very grateful if you or anyone else could point me to some complete online tutorials. Second, what version of generic firmware shall i use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakester2000 View Post
Three remove this option in the UK too, it means that it connects to the 3G network even in the weakest signal areas, it saves them money as where their 3G network has a weak signal it will still get used, it only switches to 2g mode when it isnt available. The best way to get round this is flash the phone with a generic firmware.

Also on your picture 3 its showing that packed data is in wait mode like its waiting to connect, this wastes power. On a normal firmware this can be turned off well on normal firmwares

Tools / Settings / Connection / Packet Data / Packet Data Connect ( Select When Needed)

Old 21-11-2007, 11:40 PM

Hi Mithent,
Thanks for edification.
I don't use my phone with 3 anymore. I have unlocked it and use it with Sonofon because it's very cheap . 3 has had a very good offer for this mobile if taken with a 6 month prescription. So, I bought it from 3 just because it was convenient, and i didn't expect branding to be such a big issue.
Do you have recommendations about switching to a generic firmware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithent View Post
3 only have a 3G network - you have to roam onto someone else's 2G network if you're using 2G. This loses 3 money, so they're very keen that you don't do it unless there is honestly no 3G coverage. Even if you switch to generic firmware, they may still notice you're not using your phone in 3G mode since it's never on their network, and complain about it.

Old 22-11-2007, 12:03 AM

cmlewan is on a distinguished road
I, in my turn, want to lock the phone on the 3G network and never use the GSM network, because no data traffic can be used on the GSM network anyway if you use Three in Sweden. But by disabling this option on the phone, Three stops me from doing this. Because of this, mainly, I want to debrand the phone, but I'm afraid I will lose some functions/apps then, eg. SlingPlayer (but it's downladable now, isn't it?) and 3Mobile-TV.

Last edited by cmlewan; 22-11-2007 at 12:06 AM.

Old 22-11-2007, 12:15 AM

Mithent is on a distinguished road
Ah, sorry, I missed that it was no longer used on 3. Yes, debranding it should be fine then.

Old 22-11-2007, 11:02 PM

Tomo71 is on a distinguished road
Reading the OP I see that you say that 3g is showing with the 2 parallel bars underneath it. This would suggest that the phone is connected to the 3g for data transmission. You need to change the setting.
On N95 8gb it would be menu>tools>setting>connection>packet data--- change packet data connection from "when available" to "when needed"

Options in your phone may be different but you will be telling the phone to only connect for data transmission to the network when you want it to, not when its available.

Steve

Old 23-11-2007, 11:28 AM

Quakester2000 is on a distinguished road
If you are desperate to de brand your phone here are the instructions but do so at your own risk.

http://clear-nokia.blogspot.com/2007...ing-guide.html

Oh yeah you will need a product code for the country your in or it will change the language settings. Which can be found below.

http://thenokiablog.com/2007/04/03/n...anguage-packs/

Old 23-11-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo71 View Post
Reading the OP I see that you say that 3g is showing with the 2 parallel bars underneath it. This would suggest that the phone is connected to the 3g for data transmission. You need to change the setting.
On N95 8gb it would be menu>tools>setting>connection>packet data--- change packet data connection from "when available" to "when needed"

Options in your phone may be different but you will be telling the phone to only connect for data transmission to the network when you want it to, not when its available.

Steve
Thanks for looking into my issue, guys.

The packet data connection is set to "when needed". These 2 parallel interrupted bars appear even when no 3G network is available (see attachments).
I noticed that they show up very frequently, i.e. 6-10 times a minute. Those parallel bars are interrupted and I understand (from the user's manual, page 13 ) that they indicate when a packet data connection is available.
Do you also have this flickering indicators under the signal meter/indicator?

Quakester2000, I'm desperate to de-brand my mobile because it's unacceptable. Just imagine a full charged battery that died in half a day when the mobile was more or less in a virtual 'stand-by'...I didn't have any conversation, no texting, neither the bluetooth nor wifi were active, no playing at all...My only action was to swap the general profile with the silent one. So what would you do? I can't afford to have the 3G available all the time even though I'm not using it.
Before I de-brand it, I'd like to know if it's possible to install 2 languages from different packs. Let's say that I'd like to have Danish and Romanian, how an I going to proceed? According to the actual product codes this is not possible...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0008.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	3926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0009.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	3927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0010.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	3928  

Old 23-11-2007, 10:05 PM

Tomo71 is on a distinguished road
Is there any application in the background trying to connect to the 'net?

Very Strange!!
N95 with FTD Enabled on Orange
Panasonic CF-19 Toughbook with embedded HSPDA Modem with Voda and Orange SIMS.

Old 25-12-2009, 06:43 PM

NinjaN is on a distinguished road
Hello all, Ive only recently got my nokia E71 and noticed this problem of the 3G data connection always being on as well (3G symbol with the double arrows underneath, had a htc tytn2 before on 3 and you can always choose when you want 3G/hsdpa to turn ON or OFF) straight away I knew this was a battery drainer...

Playing with the phone I found you CANNOT permanenetly turn off 3G connection as when you go to connectiviy->conn. mng->active data con-> and disconnect, it would only come on again after like 20secs!!!

Now... this may or may not work on other networks E71's, Im from Aus on 3 network.

After about 2 hours of searching how to turn off permanently on the net with no luck... Well I figured can you just delete the planet3 access point entry in tools->settings->connections-> so, noted down the fields and deleted that crap! and voila! just displays the 3G symbol now with no data connection present!
now, as you dont want make a new planet3 connection each time you want to use it again, I just made a new access point and entered the same details as in original planet 3 entry, and well what do you know! all works fine now but WITHOUT the 3G connection staying ON, once you quite planet three on nokias browser about 2 secs later 3G and double arrows at the bottome becomes normal 3G icon! To confirm I go to connectivity to check for active data connections and... NONE

So in the end a nice and simple solution (its been like this for a couple days now and Ive yet to see the dreaded 3G an double arrows coming on by itself so fingers crossed!) of course just leave it deleted along with Mobile Internet access point if you dont want to use 3's data at all...

There is one difference tho, when you click the planet 3 shortcut (assuming you have that on shortcut) it doesnt connect automatically like before, but now will ask you to choose access method, just like when you activate phones net browser for other stuff, all you do is then choose your "planet 3" that you created and away you go!

Fk i hate it when networks enforce their own crap ways on users! hope this helps people who havent already worked out this already