All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 28-11-2007, 12:31 AM

nookiaz is on a distinguished road
Here's an interesting opinion on the target market of the E51...

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-e51-en.shtml

Old 01-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up The (almost) Ideal Phone?

Thanks for the good report.

For *my* needs, the E51 seems to be almost perfect. I have the E65 and the E51 has a few things missing in the E65: a. Candy bar without losing a single button, b. New msg LED c. WMA d. Bluetooh stereo audio profile e. Mini jack instead of POPOP e. Radio f. 4GB

However, can someone verify the following about the E51:

a. Does the keypad auto-lock? I am missing this sorely since the 8210.
b. Does it have a hole to tie a strap?
c. Can it stand upright on its bottom like the E65 can?
d. Does it have stereo speakers?

Thank you.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:26 AM
Unregistered

a. Yes the keypad autolocks.

b. There is a little hole on the lower right of the phone but I'm not sure whether it was meant for a strap. You can have a look by yourself on the photos of the smape E51 review:
http://www.smape.com/en/reviews/noki...a_E51-rev.html

c. It can if you really want to but as it is very thin, it can fell easily.

d. I'm not sure about this one. There is only one speaker hole so I assume it is not stereo right?

I've had the E51 (black) for 1 week, it is a great phone IMO: solidly built, stylish look, love the keypad. The VoIP worked flawessly on HSDPA and wifi.
To be honest I was a little worried about the lenght of the phone looking at the specs but when you hold it in your hand, the size feels just fine :-).

Old 05-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Unregistered

Font size

Is it possible to set the font size to be as small as Nokia E50 or is it bigger anyway even on the smallest setting ? I kinda like Nokia E50 font size; it leaves a feeling of sharp screen...

Old 05-12-2007, 01:47 PM
heavyduty

Led

Does the LED flash for appointments and alarms as well?

Coming from PDAs, that's something I've learned to appreciate a lot.

Also, what's the RAM on this device? This review says 48mb, the Smape review claims 20mb.....?

Old 05-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Noiseless

Why the SAR is so high (1.4W/kg)? The phone is not more powerful or so ever than other similar models; it's not the metal parts of body either.
Any ideas, please?

Old 06-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Unregistered

Needed E51 firmware upgrades

as a business phone the firmware needs to be upgraded to allow;

- phone numbers from to do lists/ meetings to be hot linked.(so that you don't have to write down on a piece of paper then re enter.

- received sms messages to be converted to, to do lists.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Unregistered

bought it today and could already no longer put up with the excessive fingerprinting on the black e51. i sprayed it with "stainless steel cleaner and repellent" i use for my stainless steel fridge to "repel fingerprints"... it's great now, a few more signs of prints than the fridge but nothing compared to what it was b4! don't spray onto the phone (!!!) - or onto plastic parts according to instructions - spray onto a paper towel and then rub carefully onto the steel part of the phone - not the screen, i tried that too but it wasn't too successful...

Old 12-12-2007, 07:15 AM

AndyM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
Does the LED flash for appointments and alarms as well?
No, the only options in the configuration are notification on missed calls and new messages (SMS and email).

Quote:
Also, what's the RAM on this device? This review says 48mb, the Smape review claims 20mb.....?
According to the Nokia specs, it's around 50Mb. With nothing running (but not straight after a reboot), Handy Taskman shows mine has 42Mb free. Straight after a reboot, it is 48.4Mb.

Agreed with the comments on the black model being a fingerprint magnet. I think a case would be the answer, but the Krusell one doesn't seem to be available yet.

As I'm currently in Singapore, I haven't had a chance to try out the data side of things yet, nor make many calls.

Last edited by AndyM; 12-12-2007 at 07:18 AM.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Unregistered

The Keyboard + Updates

I recently got the E90 and absolutely love the keyboard (on the top :P). But recently i made the stupid mistake of jogging with it and dropped it from about 3 -4 feet (Gulp!). Luckly it was turf and the phone is fine. I was looking for a backup of sorts so that i can use it in hostile conditions (I am a civil engineer). E51 seems to fit the bill (i would have taken E61/i but the thing is that the phone is slow very low ram etc). I was wondering how the keyboard (numeric) is compared to the e90? And how long will nokia support the device? One of the reasons i got E90 was hoping for long support (esp given this nokia's random updates to random devices).

Old 14-12-2007, 07:58 AM

chickenbackside is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
E51 seems to fit the bill (i would have taken E61/i but the thing is that the phone is slow very low ram etc). I was wondering how the keyboard (numeric) is compared to the e90? And how long will nokia support the device? One of the reasons i got E90 was hoping for long support (esp given this nokia's random updates to random devices).
There is no comparison in terms of speed between the E61i and E51. The E51 smokes the E61i hands down.

The alpha numeric keypad of the E51 feels a lot better than the E90's. You're much less likely to make mistakes due to the layout and profile of the keys.

I don't think you will need to worry about support. E series phones receive enough attention as they are marketed at the higher end of the market. Nothing worse than pissing bigger spenders off...
My geeky ramblings: http://meandmyphones.blogspot.com/

Old 22-12-2007, 05:21 AM
Unregistered

mp3 player & camera quality???

Sat 22 Dec 07, 12:16 p.m.

Hi,

I LOVE the 6300. However, the S40 OS, the mediocre camera quality, and the absolutely TERRIBLE sound quality of the mp3 player are big disappointments.

At least the E51 seems to solve the OS problem, with lots more software available, and I can use big screen flas clocks and psiloc font magnifier which is important as I have low vision. If the sound on the mp3 player is better than the 6300, I'm sold.

Anyone care to comment on the mp3 sound quality and the camera image quality (especially compared to the 6300)?

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

Old 22-12-2007, 05:49 PM
jklondon222

Battery Life Problem (Tmobile)

getting like 2 days with medium use not impressed get a replacement anyone else seen this?

Old 23-12-2007, 09:09 AM
tri_fin

SAR values

Hi,

I have just found out that this phone has relatively high SAR values (radiation) compared with other handsets. I feel this is step in the wrong direction. What do you think?
Would it be possible to mention this in you reviews? Or at least mention it for phones that have very low (good) or very high (bad) SAR values?

From Nokia site:

E51: 1.40
E90: 0.65
N95: 0.58
5500: 0.50

The legal limit is 2.0
Source: http://sar.nokia.com/sar/index.jsp

Whilst I respect the jury may be 'out' as to what these figure mean - surely no one wants a higher than necessary radiation source next to their face?
Ads

Old 23-12-2007, 08:20 PM

AndyM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklondon222 View Post
getting like 2 days with medium use not impressed get a replacement anyone else seen this?
Perhaps you could rearrange those words into a sentence?

Assuming you're talking about battery life, mine has been very variable. Some days it's been showing full power at the end of the day. A couple of other times, power seems to have drained quite quickly, and the handset got warm. I haven't yet identified which particular applications might cause this (I've not been making many calls, but I have been using bluetooth, wifi (at home), and the internet via GPRS). Is there any application that will show CPU or wireless usage, to give some indication of what might be consuming the power?

As I put the phone on charge every night (why wouldn't you?), I can't say how long it will last on one charge.

ETA: To answer one of my questions, I've now installed the Nokia Energy Profiler, so I'll see what that shows next time I notice a problem.

Last edited by AndyM; 24-12-2007 at 10:35 AM.