All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 12-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Jonek

Thanks malerocks! I've been using me E61 so long that I forgot about the C-key. It certainly looks like this is a Bluetooth on-off key. Very handy indeed. This phone looks great, but I think that I will miss my qwerty. But it's tempting, really tempting.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Unregistered

Beer

"Changing the old, confusing 'S60' key with the 'swirly thing' logo to a simple 'Home' icon is a masterstroke and instantly simplifies the interface and makes things obvious for new users, especially in an iPhone world where the idea of a prominent home button to bring up the main app menu is familiar. Well done, Nokia - now make this the standard on all future devices!"

Shhh, don't say that! They might listen! I want my Menu key left untouched!

Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

How to lock the keypad? Since the left softkey is set to menu, I hope is not only with the power key...

Old 12-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Unregistered

Spooner

The ideal phone BUT I got seriously lost in a very nasty dangerous area in a foreign country a week ago. Built in GPS essential in a world traveller's business phone even if it does make the machine slightly bigger. I will wait until GPS integrated into this otherwise perfect business phone.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:07 PM

DevilsRejection is on a distinguished road
Can you get to the bottom of why there seem to be 2 backplates? One with a metal dot pattern and another with swirly lines. Compare Steve's picture to this one on Smape: http://img.smape.com/images/review/N...0_main_015.jpg

The one friend I had in ES just moved over to M to there goes my direct source to the division that makes the best Nokia products. :-(

Old 12-11-2007, 03:40 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Us living in the US need a US version of this! (correct me if there already is one)
Ads

Old 12-11-2007, 04:40 PM

wocius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by viipottaja View Post
Us living in the US need a US version of this! (correct me if there already is one)
Several reliable U.S. shops are offering them for pre-order, so I think it will be distributed in the U.S. through Nokia USA.

Question for Steve: Several commentators have said the "2-inch screen" is simply too small to be usable. What did you think?

BTW, I use an E60, and this looks like a terrific upgrade for that one, too.

Excellent reviews here and on the Smartphone Show. Thanks!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Several commentators have said the "2-inch screen" is simply too small to be usable. What did you think?
The 6120 (which I reviewed) has an identical screen to the E51, so I hope it's okay if I answer this too.

Saying it's not usable is way way too general. It really depends on who you are, and what kind of device you're comfortable with.

I had absolutely NO problems whatsoever with the 2 inch screen, I used it for web browsing, text messaging, email etc quite a lot. I loved using the 6120, it's probably the best phone I've ever used. I had an N95 loaned to me at the same time, and the 6120 was (for me) better in every way despite having a much smaller physical screen size.

However, I have fairly good eyesight, not everyone does.

If you have poor short range eyesight, if you have trouble reading the ingredients on food packets, then you may want to consider a phone with a physically larger screen (such as the N95).

The same goes for the buttons, if you have large fingers the 6120's buttons may be too small for you, and I'm guessing the same applies to the E51 too.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 12-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Unregistered

Backplates

Hi, I too was interested in the backplates "issue". According to photos of the e51 on the Dutch Nokia website, it seems that the silver one does not have the swirly pattern, whereas the black one does. Can't discover any pattern on the bronze one though, but my eyes may be deceiving me.

I assume photos will be exactly the same when looking at Nokia's e51 pages in other languages.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:47 PM

Wocius, thanks, but what I meant was a US version, i.e., with US frequencies, including HSDPA.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:49 PM

ajck is on a distinguished road
In response to the question of an equivalent NSeries device up above, you need look no further than the Nokia 6120 - it is an NSeries in all but name, and I agree with krisse just above, it is the best phone I have ever used, and I've handled a few NSeries devices. It's really lovely, and suprisingly powerful and capable for such a small, light package. If you really need Wifi go for the E51, if you don't go for the 6120.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:58 PM

If I am not mistaken, 6120 does not have even a 2.5mm jack, which would be another addition (preferably 3.5mm) that would be needed to make it match the more recent N-Series offering.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:50 PM

wocius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
... I hope it's okay if I answer this too.
I had absolutely NO problems whatsoever with the 2 inch screen, I used it for web browsing, text messaging, email etc quite a lot. I loved using the 6120, it's probably the best phone I've ever used. I had an N95 loaned to me at the same time, and the 6120 was (for me) better in every way despite having a much smaller physical screen size.
Thanks, Krisse -- I'm delighted you responded! I use an E60 and have no problems reading it, either, so your answer perfectly addresses my concern.

Quote:
viipottaja Wocius, thanks, but what I meant was a US version, i.e., with US frequencies, including HSDPA.
Oops, sorry. It's quad band, so it can be used on GSM throughout the USA. I use T-Mo, which doesn't have 3G or HSDPA yet, so I can't really answer your question, but I think it could be used on ATT's 3G network.

I have one on order (in all-black). I'll post reactions when I receive it.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:18 PM

Wocius, unfortunately, the European 3G bands don't work here. The only ones I know of are the N75 and the US version of the N95 (which also has the first HSDPA for the US market from Nokia).

Old 12-11-2007, 10:14 PM

jojosalami is on a distinguished road
anyone agree that it doesnt look like a nokia anymore?

i mean it looks like something HTC or HP would come up with, doesnt look nokia :(