All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-07-2007, 10:57 PM

Paul N95 is on a distinguished road
The red led was annoying me too, so I bit the bullet and took the phone apart. I thought at first it was a bi-colour led, but couldn't really think how a high intensity led could be red too. Anyway after closer inspection you can see the red light is offset, so it is clearly a 2nd led. It is nothing more than a tally light so its absence will do no harm.

In the photo below you can see what track to cut to inhibit the red light. It's probably not worth the effort, but I love to take things apart anyway so it was fun.

I prised the lens cover off to get a closer look at the connections. Now the whole circuit is visible and with hindsight it would have been easier to cut the track on the far left next to the surface mount capacitor.

Ads

Old 21-07-2007, 12:51 AM

Ronaldo-9 is on a distinguished road
well i'll just wait for a app, there is apps for red button to stop it from closing other apps and many more

Old 21-07-2007, 03:04 AM

systemx is on a distinguished road
Must be the new firmware but Silent and warning tones off the shutter sound still pops up.

Old 21-07-2007, 09:00 AM

Dan205 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N95 View Post
When taking photos you still get a red light flash. It can't be for focussing as it seems to focus before that.
It's part of the red eye reduction, it can be turned off in photos by manually turning off the flash. It flashes red for a split second to make your pupils contract prior to the bright flash. In the dark your pupils widen and the flash otherwise bounces off the back of your eye (which is red) leading to red eyes in photos.

Old 21-07-2007, 10:08 AM

illuster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan205 View Post
It's part of the red eye reduction, it can be turned off in photos by manually turning off the flash. It flashes red for a split second to make your pupils contract prior to the bright flash. In the dark your pupils widen and the flash otherwise bounces off the back of your eye (which is red) leading to red eyes in photos.
But red isn't the best color to do that. If you check, you will see that the red light even comes on, when you turn red light reduction off. When it is turned on AND flash is needed, the camera will flash three times with the bright white flash. The first white flash makes you pupils contract.

The red light seems to come on even when flash is not in use

For some reason the white flash seems to flash always twice even when red eye reduction is off.

Old 21-07-2007, 04:33 PM

I believe that the white LED is used for flash, focusing AND red eye reduction. In tests it appears to do all three jobs. The red LED has no purpose other than a tally light. It is too dim for either focusing or red eye reduction.

Old 23-07-2007, 10:20 AM

ut666 is on a distinguished road
this was posted on the AAS main page, shows how to disable the red light in a similar way to what Paul_n95 is saying...

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/paradoxsm/3029

any1 tried these methods?
just wondering... dont think ill be that brave lol

ut.

Old 23-07-2007, 10:25 AM

randomfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by systemx View Post
Must be the new firmware but Silent and warning tones off the shutter sound still pops up.
I'm on the latest v12 firmware and there's no sound when I'm in silent/turn warning tones off....

Old 23-07-2007, 01:40 PM

ffcphone is on a distinguished road
Just thinking out aloud but I wonder if the red LED also emits infra-red to assist in auto focus (as well as any auto focus assists from the white LED)?

F

Old 23-07-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcphone View Post
Just thinking out aloud but I wonder if the red LED also emits infra-red to assist in auto focus (as well as any auto focus assists from the white LED)?

F
Judging by the track width for the red LED I would doubt it was a higher power IR device. Compared to the white LED the conductors are a fraction of the size.

Old 23-07-2007, 10:46 PM

illuster is on a distinguished road
Quote:

F
it seems that the auto focus is done before the red light comes on. So unless the led is capable of emitting infra-red while the red light is off, this seems to be unlikely.

Old 24-07-2007, 08:33 AM

ffcphone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N95 View Post
Judging by the track width for the red LED I would doubt it was a higher power IR device. Compared to the white LED the conductors are a fraction of the size.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuster View Post
it seems that the auto focus is done before the red light comes on. So unless the led is capable of emitting infra-red while the red light is off, this seems to be unlikely.
Coming round to the same opinion. The red LED is simply a tell-tale indication.

F

Old 24-07-2007, 10:27 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The red LED is simply a tell-tale indication.
I agree. Don't shoot me for asking this but what legal or moral use is there for disabling the red warning light?

Taking pictures or videos without the knowledge of the subject is at least very dodgy and sly, and at worst an illegal act for which you can be arrested.
I have read of related court-cases in the UK press, and the result was a prison sentence.

Old 24-07-2007, 12:00 PM

Personally I have my N95 on my dashboard recording my journey. The red light reflected in the windscreen and was distracting.

I can't see a legal reason for having to show a red light. Unless you are taking photos where you should not be.

Old 17-08-2008, 02:47 PM

Zapkiller is on a distinguished road
Has Nokia ever responded to the suggestion of removing the led light? Or make it into an option ?