All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-07-2007, 04:14 PM

PJD01 is on a distinguished road
Stream MP3s and internet radio from PC to N95

Hi,
I'm a bit confused after reading various posts here, as to whether there is a way to browse and play my audio files (on a wireless networked PC) through to the N95 while around my house? i.e. like a portable wireless mp3 player. File types of MP3 files, .PLU (playlist files), and internet radio stations.

All the data transfer between teh phone and pc I'd want to be done through my 802.11G network.

Would this be possible using ORB? or Tversity?

thanks in advance.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:07 PM

autopilot is on a distinguished road
I use TVersity with my T-Mobile Vario, it's great. Unfortunately Nokia dropped a serious bollock - the standard UPNP that people have been enjoying for ages was just too good for us N95 owners, so they crippled it and did not include direct streaming. Shame, because a simple and well establish protocol that the N95 would be perfect for. It's such a killer application these days and everyone is at it now, such as the Squeezebox, Sono's, consoles like the PS3 and Xbox360 etc.

The best hope we have is that a third party company comes up with the goods. But this is Symbain, if you wanted plenty of good third party apps you want to buy a Windows Mobile phone. Nokia's with WiFi have been around for a while, but no one has bothered yet.

You can browse your music via TVersity, or other UPNP server (like the crap Nokia one that comes on the CD) but have to copy the files over first before playing. But it's so bloody slow you might as well walk over to the PC and drop your memory card in.

The N95 is not a true UPNP device, it's some kind of strange UPNP remote control. As you will slowly find, the N95 has loads of features but sucks at most of them.

Last edited by autopilot; 01-07-2007 at 07:09 PM.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:15 PM

PJD01 is on a distinguished road
Thats a shame alright, by design though you have to wonder? why cripple an absolutely awesome product on purpose.

I havnet purchased the N95 yet, but one of the main reasons i wnated it was to use it as a wireless MP3 player aropund my house, i consume a lot of audio mostly streaming radio shows and downloading/copying files to my standalone mp3 player is unbelievable pain in the butt after using podcast or stripping the files from a playlist.

Could you recommend any windows mobile phones good at streaming media over wireless? or if its not appropriate for this forums, please drop me a PM?

thanks a bunch.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:18 PM

autopilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJD01 View Post
Could you recommend any windows mobile phones good at streaming media over wireless? or if its not appropriate for this forums, please drop me a PM?
Virtually all Windows Mobile devices have WiFi, take your pick. If you can wait, this is the daddy - http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=256569 Thats the real deal. It can do everything the N95 can do, but 1,000 times more and 10 times better. A few days with that and you will see that the N95 is just a toy for the "where can i get me some good themes?" boys. It will be rebranded and released on most UK networks (T-Mobile call them MDA's, O2 call them XDA's etc).

Once you have one i recommend this - http://www.conduits.com/products/player/ It has a great UPNP plugin. It's seemless, just like the files are stored on the device. A thing of beauty it is.

Last edited by autopilot; 01-07-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Ads

Old 04-07-2007, 02:39 PM

Barkotron is on a distinguished road
Orb works perfectly well. Even over 3G (and GSM if you don't mind terrible sound) as well as Wi-fi (was using it to listen to stuff while wandering around town yesterday ). It's a shame I can only get it to use RealPlayer though - does anyone know of a better streaming music player to use with the N95?.

Can't comment on the UPnP thing thought, not tried using it.